Speaking of tattoos

Help Support CattleToday:

At least I'm not the only one who doesn't care for them. The other thread I'm on is a more urban crowd, and of course they had no idea why anyone wouldn't want a tattoo, and had all kinds of wonderful reasons why they had them.

warpaint":29y1tkf2 said:
I only have the one. right arm, my brand. told the wife, befor u brand my cattle, ill brand me.

Two days in a row you've been here now Paint! You ain't laid up sick or anything are you?

herofan":24gf4wbm said:
At least I'm not the only one who doesn't care for them. The other thread I'm on is a more urban crowd, and of course they had no idea why anyone wouldn't want a tattoo, and had all kinds of wonderful reasons why they had them.

So...what were the reasons they gave you??
I really would like to better understand the desire to have them.

CottageFarm":1ueb9di7 said:
herofan":1ueb9di7 said:

So...what were the reasons they gave you??
I really would like to better understand the desire to have them.

I'm like you, I was just trying to understand. They didn't see it any differently than a person deciding to do anything, like changing a hairstyle, but to me, a tattoo is a major thing; not like changing a hairstyle. It's permanent, and i hear it's a little uncomfortable to get.

Reasons they gave:

- to be different and not boring
- to express themselves (I'm not sure what it expresses)
- to remember someone who has passed away
- they just like 'em for no big reason
- they feel they add to their appearance and are attractive
- to help recall their past(if they get it at age 20, they can reflect on it at age 50)

For me, I have other ways of meeting these needs aside from a tattoo. Tattoos weren't "the thing" when I was younger, so I guess they never really enter my mind as something I want.

Im with Warpaint , I have my cattle brand with a cow skull on my shoulder . Would I get more ?? Nope two"s enough .

Yeah I've noticed how having your nosed pierced, ears pieced and a neck tat makes one more attractive.
Throw in an eyebrow stud, lip piercing and sleeved down both arms and I bet you can't fight the women off.

It's probably a real career move. I'd guess you would have the recruiters hounding you night and day.

Stick around warpaint. I've hear some stories about gang....
Every tattoo I have has a meaning to me. Since I can't remember squat, it helps me remember some of the good times. Biggest snapper I ever caught, biggest black grouper down in the tortugas, big bass that won us a tournament, marlin we landed where marlin shouldn't exist. That kind of stuff.

Some tatoos that would look funny on me:

"Thug life" over my shoulders

A rainbow, and the word pride on my arm

A humming bird drinking from my belly button

Reasons they gave:

- to be different and not boring
I guess I have a different view of boring :lol:
- to express themselves (I'm not sure what it expresses)
I think this requires a certain personality type. I am fundamentally incapable of sharing/revealing that much of myself to total strangers. I don't do facebook or twitter either for the same reason, and therefore can't comprehend those who can-
to remember someone who has passed away
Okay, I can kinda understand this one
- they just like 'em for no big reason
Just following a trend perhaps?
- they feel they add to their appearance and are attractive
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder in this case
- to help recall their past(if they get it at age 20, they can reflect on it at age 50)
This one I can empathize with. My memory is apparently going to be the first thing to go. I like photo albums better, though :lol:

I can better understand those that have one or even a few that are only viewed privately and have a significant meaning to them personally, than I can people who have them cover large areas that are visible to all.

Bigfoot":3i4lm1qx said:
Some tatoos that would look funny on me:

"Thug life" over my shoulders

A rainbow, and the word pride on my arm

A humming bird drinking from my belly button

:lol: :lol: , especially the hummingbird

None for me but I keep threatening. Maybe a pheasant or my old lab ginger. Used to want a pig tattooed on my belly, wife said don't bother everyone already knows!

The bigger part of me wants to just go out like I came in........plain like God made me.

Among other things I shear sheep,llamas and alpacas - been shearing sheep for longer than I care to mention but the alpaca deal is more recent and caused my fingers to swell so much I had to get one of my sons to snip my wedding ring off before I lost the finger. So after that I got a wedding ring tattooed so all is good so long as I die before my wife !

3waycross":4ovne5uy said:
LauraleesFarm":4ovne5uy said:
I'm from the generation where pictorial tattoos were considered undesirable, and my husband feels the same way. I would never get one, and he wouldn't have me if I did (well probably a stretch but he would NOT like it). EXCEPTION: I am going to have my eyeliner tastefully tattooed one of these days!

That being said, my son has several tattoos, my brothers do also. One of my brothers does his own tats. But I thank God that my 21 year old gorgeous daughter does not have one and does not want one, nor any body piercings!

Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, just stating my opinion!

Edited to add:
The other day I had a patient in the hospital that was covered in tattoos. I understand that some certain tattoos have gang related meanings and possibly prison meanings.
He had the tear tattoo on one eye (lost a friend? I guess?)
He had the F word in every imaginable use of the word all over his body.
His knuckles read F ... This just like the picture posted of Plan Ahea...
I was absolutely disgusted, and I was certain to wear gloves!

It means he killed someone..........good idea on the gloves.
Depends on which eye it is on the left eye it means they have killed someone and the right eye means they lost a brother (gang member)

Hook":37pjnh1o said:
Stick around warpaint. I've hear some stories about gang....
Every tattoo I have has a meaning to me. Since I can't remember squat, it helps me remember some of the good times. Biggest snapper I ever caught, biggest black grouper down in the tortugas, big bass that won us a tournament, marlin we landed where marlin shouldn't exist. That kind of stuff.

Does that help you more than a picture? I have a scar on my arm from when I fell off a go-cart when i was a kid. Looking at the scar doesn't really jog much memory. Sure, I remember how I got it and all that, but it doesn't really bring it back like smelling chicken and dumplings brings back memories of grandma.when i see pictures of my cousin and I on that old go-cart, however, that is what brings back the feel of that day.

Latest posts