Speaking of Star Lake!

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefords.US

Reaction score
This is posted on their web-site:

ICE STORM CAUSES PROBLEMS….SHUTS DOWN OFFICE

The huge ice storm that has hit much of the plains has impacted all activities at Star Lake Cattle Ranch.

All power in the surrounding area is out and based on current reports, electrical service may not return until Thursday, December 13.

With over 25 miles of electric fence on the ranch that now has over 1" thickness of ice on it, the fence work required is massive. The entire ranch crew is tending to the herd and trying to keep the cattle in, fed and watered; as well as keeping their individual families safe and warm.

According to Montie Soules, ranch manager the continued rain is both a blessing and part of the ongoing problem. "The rain keeps coming and the ice just keeps getting thicker – however the ground is pretty much saturated and in a lot of cases the fences are pulling out and falling over from the weight rather than breaking"

For those who need to contact the ranch, we would suggest contacting Montie via cell at (918) 645-4322 or through the Contact Us section of this website. As soon as we have the office and phone system up and running again we will let you know.

To those of you in Oklahoma and other areas, heartfelt wishes to stay safe and warm!

George

Definitely a scary situtation. Wish them luck. Didn't their top 2 heifer calves this year and their sale die of pneumonia? Hope they can get everything fixed quickly and safely.

Sounds really really bad. Not like 2006/2007 Colorado; but still mighty bad. It must have been AT LEAST 75 degrees here today; but I wouldn't mind the cold if we could get just a little bit of that precipiation.

It is the worst I have ever seen. I live north of Star Lake and there are trees and powerlines down from the Kansas line to south of OKC. Over 500,000 people in OK without power.

The ground is now solid ice and the cattle are having a hard time walking on it. Very dangerous for everyone.

Jovid":25i3jw9x said:
It is the worst I have ever seen. I live north of Star Lake and there are trees and powerlines down from the Kansas line to south of OKC. Over 500,000 people in OK without power.

The ground is now solid ice and the cattle are having a hard time walking on it. Very dangerous for everyone.

I sure hope you get some relief soon. Last time it was that bad here was in the late 80's. I was lucky and was only without power for 2 days, but some were out for 10. Good luck.

We all must send our best wishes out to everyone in the area. Im from northern kansas and i have had the same troubles today. Trees falling from the weight of the ice and calves out from the fences down from the trees falling on them, and ICE ICE ICE everywhere!

i feel sorry for the starlake crew.their workload has tripled with the ice storm.all you can do is work till you give out.go in try to get warm rest an start again.

Yes, it's really a mess in much of OK. The storm missed us, went west and north of us, thank goodness. My sister lives 50 miles north and they've been without power since early Sunday morning. We have had an inch of rain and we needed that.

We lost power early Monday morning, had to cut my way out of my driveway. Got it back on last night, an hour after I hooked up the new generator. We were heating and cooking with a small woodburning fireplace before that. It must be a mess for a large outfit.

Big or small operation.. its going to be a mess with the cleanup, and getting things back in order. Many folks I know, still do not have power. I have not even had the time yet to check my outer fence lines to see if there is any damage. (hope to do that today)

:( Went to check cows in the cold rain tonight, bull didn't show. Found t-post pushed over, four strands of wire on the ground, two still at top. Apparently the neighboring bull(s) and he had a fairly easy time tearing the fence up with the soft ground. Called neighbor, said don't worry, we'll sort 'em in the morning. Put my cows in corral for the night with fresh hay.

Some nasty stuff going on in the "Heartland"! We've been hearing about the Oklahoma ice all day. I feel for all of you that are in it! Hang in there everyone! It's supposed to clear up Saturday.

TheBullLady":2w88z0uw said:
Some nasty stuff going on in the "Heartland"! We've been hearing about the Oklahoma ice all day. I feel for all of you that are in it! Hang in there everyone! It's supposed to clear up Saturday.

I wish that were for sure. I'm hearing snow Sat evening!

Express had Collegiate Judging contest scheduled for tomorrow. They have cancelled it due to no electricity. And potentially worse weather to come. Bad thing is that a lot of the coaches allready had their kids out there for a contest at Collins Exposure sale in Stillwater. Express is still going to allow them to come out and evaluate if they are in the area. I WANT MY KID HOME !

We had the same storm system pass through Tuesday here in Northern KS lot of areas are talking a week before power is restored. We are lucky enough to have got power back today. I know of 1 electric co-op that is 100% down. Lot of people in OK and KS fairing some rough times tryin to take care of stock and themselves. Best luck to all!

Too bad we aren't flooded an shooting each other so that some national attention to go to helping in the clean up, lot of fences, trees, and powerlines completely flat!

Went to lease this morning, saw the bull across a couple creeks/washes several hundred yards away. Led him home with a five gallon bucket, back through the same hole he got out of. Had to have a bit of persuasion with a stick to go back through. Put him in corral. Neighboring bull then shows up and starts talking trash. As I'm patching fence, rain turns to sleet and then snow. Here we go again.

Latest posts