speaking of snakes...

Help Support CattleToday:

I've liked them for as long as I can remember. Like to watch them eat, the way they can sneak up on something, then wham. I was raised that everything had it's place.
Most people fear what they do not know or understand.

GMN":2gnch4jz said:
How many of you like or dislike snakes and why?

GMN

It isn't that I dislike snakes. I just want them to stay where they belong. Away from me. If they just do that, we're all good.

rattler":1hsfxwbu said:
I hate them don't won't nothing to do with them i'll kill every one i run upon on only good snake is a dead snake.

rattler

Kind of goes along with my mantra "All snakes are poisonous until proven dead".

Last spring, I was seeding weekend out on the farm. Our pastures have been reduced to dirt by the drought this year, and I thought I'd get some fall grasses to perk them up, four different kinds to be exact. So, I pulled out the ol hand seeder with the twenty pound holding bag and started to make my laps on my 10 acres(NASCAR had nothing on me this weekend….).

Well, about half way through my first seeding I was just tooling around out of breath thinking about killing the person who suggested I get a hand seeder rather than one of those tractor mounted ones, when I caught something out of the corner of my eye. By the slithering I knew it was a snake. By the triangular head, I knew it was a copperhead.

Well getting surprised by a snake sets off a whole bunch of alarms in an old mans system. First is the voice alarm. "Whoa-hoa" is what I would like to think I said, but I think it was more like "eeeeekkkk – shreeeeekkk". Next my cat-like reflexes sprang into action as I jumped about two inches in the air and about ¾ of an inch sideways. The rest of getting out of the way was me tripping over my feet while spilling seed all over the place ( I think I know where the goats will be grazing the most this fall….). The last alarm which thankfully didn't go off was my automatic sprinkler system…. But believe me, it was in standby mode!!

My wife heard my manly yells and came over to see what was going on. I told her what happened and I was going to get the shotgun out of the truck. Now this is where the combination of being in the Army, and my hearing got me into trouble. I could have sworn she said the shotgun would make too much noise and I should "just beat it with a ho'….". Well, trying to pick her up just got me thumped about the face and neck, so I decided to go off to the barn and beat the thing with a shovel.

Two wacks with the shovel got me nothing but two near misses, a broken shovel handle, and one coiled up and mad snake. I told the wife I would do a whole lot better with the shotgun and that if I missed that thing one more time with this now shortened spade, my body would switch from standby mode to activate mode and we'd have a bigger mess on our hands.

Well, nothing like a little birdshot to take care of what I'd been trying to do for the last ten minutes. The rest of the day was spent doing laps again, much more carefully, and mentally moving the tractor mounted seeder way up on the things I need list.

The Bachelor":1u2qq5hn said:
rattler":1u2qq5hn said:
I hate them don't won't nothing to do with them i'll kill every one i run upon on only good snake is a dead snake.

rattler

Last spring, I was seeding weekend out on the farm. Our pastures have been reduced to dirt by the drought this year, and I thought I'd get some fall grasses to perk them up, four different kinds to be exact. So, I pulled out the ol hand seeder with the twenty pound holding bag and started to make my laps on my 10 acres(NASCAR had nothing on me this weekend….).

Well, about half way through my first seeding I was just tooling around out of breath thinking about killing the person who suggested I get a hand seeder rather than one of those tractor mounted ones, when I caught something out of the corner of my eye. By the slithering I knew it was a snake. By the triangular head, I knew it was a copperhead.

Well getting surprised by a snake sets off a whole bunch of alarms in an old mans system. First is the voice alarm. "Whoa-hoa" is what I would like to think I said, but I think it was more like "eeeeekkkk – shreeeeekkk". Next my cat-like reflexes sprang into action as I jumped about two inches in the air and about ¾ of an inch sideways. The rest of getting out of the way was me tripping over my feet while spilling seed all over the place ( I think I know where the goats will be grazing the most this fall….). The last alarm which thankfully didn't go off was my automatic sprinkler system…. But believe me, it was in standby mode!!

My wife heard my manly yells and came over to see what was going on. I told her what happened and I was going to get the shotgun out of the truck. Now this is where the combination of being in the Army, and my hearing got me into trouble. I could have sworn she said the shotgun would make too much noise and I should "just beat it with a ho'….". Well, trying to pick her up just got me thumped about the face and neck, so I decided to go off to the barn and beat the thing with a shovel.

Two wacks with the shovel got me nothing but two near misses, a broken shovel handle, and one coiled up and mad snake. I told the wife I would do a whole lot better with the shotgun and that if I missed that thing one more time with this now shortened spade, my body would switch from standby mode to activate mode and we'd have a bigger mess on our hands.

Well, nothing like a little birdshot to take care of what I'd been trying to do for the last ten minutes. The rest of the day was spent doing laps again, much more carefully, and mentally moving the tractor mounted seeder way up on the things I need list.
:roll:

I don't care for the pit vipers. I can handle the nonpoisonous ones but don't care for the vipers. I won't kill them all but I have killed more than my share. What amazes me is their ability to camoflauge themselves and the subconscious mind's ability to see through their camoflauge.

As long as I know where they're at and they're not a threat I'm OK. Have a friend who used to have a pet boa and I handled it a few times without soiling myself. But if I'm surprised by one I squeal like a little girl. Oh, well.

The Bachelor":34x54yo9 said:
rattler":34x54yo9 said:

rattler

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol2: :nod:

I know they have their place in the world. Having said that, I hate them, and I think I know why. It is natural for humans to have an aversion to snakes. Kind of goes back to the book of Genesis.... I kill any that are too close to the house, or the area I work in.

Once a "practical joker?" found a snake that had been run over in the road and partially paralyzed. He snuck up behind me and stuck its head in my left ear. When I sprang angrily to my feet, he still had the snake in his hand to protect himself from me. I waited until he threw it outside, then wiped a fly swatter over his face. The next morning I reached the conclusion that I needed to get my bluff in on him for good, and wrestled him until I had him crying for mercy, "You're gonna make me have a heart attack!" That was a number of years ago, but he's never tried a stunt like that since.

greenwillowhereford II":3ac0rrh9 said:
I know they have their place in the world. Having said that, I hate them, and I think I know why. It is natural for humans to have an aversion to snakes. Kind of goes back to the book of Genesis.... I kill any that are too close to the house, or the area I work in.

Once a "practical joker?" found a snake that had been run over in the road and partially paralyzed. He snuck up behind me and stuck its head in my left ear. When I sprang angrily to my feet, he still had the snake in his hand to protect himself from me. I waited until he threw it outside, then wiped a fly swatter over his face. The next morning I reached the conclusion that I needed to get my bluff in on him for good, and wrestled him until I had him crying for mercy, "You're gonna make me have a heart attack!" That was a number of years ago, but he's never tried a stunt like that since.
should have made him eat it

carl

I hate em. The only poisonous snakes here are a few copperheads , they are very very rare. I have never seen one.
If I had my way I would eliminate every last snake I don't care what they do.

Larry

I'm not real crazy about poisonous snakes but I like the others. We have a lot of black snakes around here and they keep the field mice in check. This summer I was out in the yard with my grandsons and the youngest one (2) wandered around back while I was doing something with the older one. He came running around front yelling something I couldn't understand so I went in and got the wife to tell me what he was saying. She said it sounded like "snake". We figured he had seen a nightcrawlr or something but we followed him around back and he led us over to a 3ft+ black snake laying under an apple tree. We spent a few minutes explaining to him that he did the right thing to come and tell me and to never pick one up or try to touch it. After he went back to the front with the wife I picked it up and carried it out to the field behind the house and turned it loose. He must like it up here near the house because I see him all the time. Never see any poisonous snakes around tho. He seems to keep them all run off. I guess we will have to come up with a name for him/her.

Blue indigo, get up 6 feet long very docile... Good snake to have around your place here in texas

STARSIX":35j1egxx said:
Blue indigo, get up 6 feet long very docile... Good snake to have around your place here in texas

King snake will eat them too. I think the Indigo will average 6 feet but will grow to 10 feet but I could just about bet my last dollar I have seen them longer but then again any snake that is over 5 feet long is pretty intimidating - poisonous or not. :lol:

peg4x4":p8xlgsso said:
What kind of snake is it that eats other snakes?
Hey, good idea I could get one of those and when it finished eating the last snake I could chop it's head off with a hoe. Problem solved.

Larry

If I see a six foot snake around here, you guys out west might hear what sounds like a little girl squel.

Latest posts