Speaking of horns..........

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Years ago one consideration of the inheritence of polled or horned, the African horn gene used to be discussed as sort of a wildcard. If I remember correctly it was depicted as An. It was considered to be a possibility with some Zebu cattle bloodlines.
Has anyone heard of them in any research or discussions in recent years?

dun

It is assumed amoung Brahman breeders that they carry an extra horn gene. Many times a polled bull will throw horned bulls and polled heifers.

Even breeding Brahmans to an Angus will generally throw some horns.

dun":15vjr8x6 said:
Years ago one consideration of the inheritence of polled or horned, the African horn gene used to be discussed as sort of a wildcard. If I remember correctly it was depicted as An. It was considered to be a possibility with some Zebu cattle bloodlines.
Has anyone heard of them in any research or discussions in recent years?

dun

so are you suggesting that the extra horn gene is a sex-linked gene?

Glad to know (at least in this case) I'm not nuts. I wonder if it may have been mostly bred out of the genepool to the point that it isn't significant any longer. But I tend to wonder about strange things.

dun

Sounds like a sex linked trait to me too. I had heard that the African Horn Gene over rode polled genes sometime but not always makes sense if it is a sex linked gene.

OK, I can see it referred to as the African Horn gene if it had to do with Afrikaner cattle. But which of the Zebu breeds that were used to develop Brahman came from Africa?
If none, why is it refrred to as the African Horn gene?

dun

Well you are correct that those three strains went into the Brahman with the Reds carrying more Gyr and the Grays more Guzerat. As far as I know Nelore is not a big percentage of the genotype, which might explain the small number of polled cattle.

A. delaGarza":1biv7dea said:
Nelores have horn and polled cattle, so if Nelore was use together with Gyr and Guzerat in the developement of Brahman, Brahman should or may carry a polled gene.

dun":sqppc1cw said:
OK, I can see it referred to as the African Horn gene if it had to do with Afrikaner cattle. But which of the Zebu breeds that were used to develop Brahman came from Africa?

dun

none, good question, let do some research

A. delaGarza":4dbm4rek said:
dun":4dbm4rek said:

dun

I did just called my brother he was the past president of the National Cebu Association of Mexico and he told me that the African horn gene is refered to the Gyr type of horns in the Brahman cattle that it use to be downwards and some times backwards, Africander type, but he really didn't know if Gyr has or carries any African genes or the Africander has Gyr genes.

Thanks

dun

A. delaGarza":23jxumzu said:
A. delaGarza":23jxumzu said:
dun":23jxumzu said:

dun

I did just called my brother he was the past president of the National Cebu Association of Mexico and he told me that the African horn gene is refered to the Gyr type of horns in the Brahman cattle that it use to be downwards and some times backwards, Africander type, but he really didn't know if Gyr has or carries any African genes or the Africander has Gyr genes.

Latest posts