Speaking of hay

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy

Reaction score
Anyone else noticed that young calves (most) don't seem to like hay much? I have a couple heifer calves (6-7month) I am raising for replacements. They won't eat the same hay my cows just tear up. Now this is mostly Bahia as we don't get that good Timothy, Alfalfa stuff down here in the south much. If we do it is like buying stock in the company. At any rate these two little vixens will tear up the Timothy hay the lady that has horses down the street gives us. She gives us quite a lot as if she sees anything she doesn't like she won't feed it to her horses. Just another reason to own/use cracker horses.

Sounds like they just aren't that hungry or they are waiting for the timothy hay. Have you weaned them yet? If they aren't, they are probably not as hungry since mom keeps their meals close by. My babies were not real big on hay either before the grass and clover came out. But they did like the feed with molasses. I think it is their idea of milk and cookies. I bet this fall and winter, they will take a liking to the hay you normally feed.

Chuckie":366tndlh said:
Sounds like they just aren't that hungry or they are waiting for the timothy hay. Have you weaned them yet? If they aren't, they are probably not as hungry since mom keeps their meals close by. My babies were not real big on hay either before the grass and clover came out. But they did like the feed with molasses. I think it is their idea of milk and cookies. I bet this fall and winter, they will take a liking to the hay you normally feed.

Yeah they love the feed an Timothy. I figured it was because they are young. Yes they are weaned. I noticed the calves out in the field don't mess with it much either. Seems the older they get the more they like it.