Speaking of fence chargers

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Has anyone had any dealings with Stafix chargers, good or bad?

Thanks

I like mine. It is the 100 mile one and seems to keep the fence hot even with all the weeds on it. Generally it runs 4.5-5 when the fence is weedy and dry. When we get it clean or in the winter it runs around 6-7. The only thing I don't like is the light doesn't show brightly but that could be the weeds.

I bought a Stafix this spring it's a 12 Joule (X12i) 90mile/500 acre with a remote shutoff. The remote shutoff worked the first day and hasn't worked since that day, but it is a great voltage tester. I just haven't called to see what I need to do to get that to work. I have a Cyclops 12 joule and it seems to be a hotter charger than the stafix. I believe they are both made by the same company now. Both are supposedly twice the size of charger I should need, but the grass load on the fence at times pulls them both down. I had 2 power wizards and they are junk. I used pells for years, but they aren't available anymore. Being shocked by both chargers I would say the cyclops hurts more, but both will curl your hair.

Dun, I've had a Staffix 6 for 3 or 4 years now and I am very happy with it. In the past I've used a host of others from cheapies to some pricey ones like Pel, Twin Mountain, etc. and the Stafix is the best of all those I have used. I've got 175 acres with 5 wire HT perimeter and 2 wire division fences and I believe the Stafix would heat all of it at the same time if necessary, although with switches I don't think I ever have had the need. Mine runs about 8.0 to 8.2 if everything is clean and can get down to 4.5 or so if not clean (like this year) :D

gwece
Murphysboro, Illinois

I like Dare--- if Lightning hits it (and it will one day) if you will send it to them they will fix it free and send it back to you free.

JS

One thing I discovered lastnight/this morning is that if polywire takes a hit it melts and doesn;t seem to affect the charger. The poly will have a gap in the middle and be kind of sotty looking for 15-20 feet on either side of the gap.

I just bought a 25 mile Parmak Solar two weeks ago and it seems to have shot craps already. Called the store to ask them what they thought and they informed me it must have got hit by lightening. It sure doesn't look like it and the poly rope is not melted.

It is not clicking and not reading diddly for output???????

I use the 50 mile zareba and have one on hand in case it were to quit working. After 5 years I haven't had to use my backup. That is the most popular brand in our area as we have a local TSC store. I went to work on two of them last month where lightening struck a tree and went through the roots picked up the circuit going to the posts where the outlets were for the two chargers. they were to different pastures but on different sides of the drive so he just had two chargers and it literally blew the outlets and chargers apart. All that was left intact were the screws attached to the fence. The problem that allowed this to happen was that there wasn't a proper ground rod, clamp, or copper wire going to it. The lightening protector that you purchase to add to your charger depends on a good grounding path.

Mine was grounded in a swamp in 6 in of running water.........pretty well grounded I think.

The first fencer we bought here bit the dust 2 days after we hooked it up . They also said it must have been struck by lightning, don't know as we had not had a storm , but they did replace it. Did you check the fuses ? I know ,but I had to ask . :lol:

My chargers are 110 volt chargers and I've only sent them in once for a lightning strike. Most of the time mine have been fried by power surges on the input side of the boards. i use surge protectors but they have failed. My point is that chargers can fail from either fence strikes or power line surges.

3way, did you try a new battery in it? Whenever mine goes just completely dead, a bad battery usually is the culprit.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3al7z3e4 said:
Zareba is what I also use (TSC) Where do you get the Stafix? I've been more than happy with our Zareba
Kencove sells them

I have 2 Stafix 3 joule DC chargers. They are real hot but have to be sent in often enough to have new boards put in them for no apparent reason and they take forever to get back So from now on I have been buying the Cyclops (American made) and they have fuses for protection so the whole board does not fry like the Stafix. Stafix and Cyclops are completley unrelated. Speedrite and Stafix are the same.

I forgot about the fuses that the International super 98's had in them. We always kept a box of fuses around and that would always take care of the problem. The fencer was probably too reliable and that's why its no longer available.

Stocker Steve":273lwm14 said:
What do you use for about a mile of fence with 2 years worth of reed canary hanging on it?
I have honeysuckle and blackberrys (with an occasional mess of MFR) on mine. I use either a Gallagher M800 (110) or a ParMak Magnum 12 (12 volt)

dun":2u8c04rd said:
Stocker Steve":2u8c04rd said:
What do you use for about a mile of fence with 2 years worth of reed canary hanging on it?
I have honeysuckle and blackberrys (with an occasional mess of MFR) on mine. I use either a Gallagher M800 (110) or a ParMak Magnum 12 (12 volt)

I have a ParMak (not Magum) on the other place. It was the only ParMak my farm store carried. It is about 6 years old and was knocked out twice but the service was very good.

Is Magum a newer model?