Speaking of Excenel...

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
Figure if you like Excenel you might like Excede better. Got to thinking not all of you might know about it. Both (as well as Naxcel) are composed of the drug ceftiofur, but Excede is a much longer lasting suspension. About 7+ days, which nearly eliminates the need for a second treatment.

I wrote out the specifics the other day to figure out cost comparisons.

Excenel is 50mg/mL -- Excede is 200mg/mL.

Excenel is $65 from our supplier, Excede is $185 (100mL bottle prices).

So Excede is 3x the price at 4x the concentration with no need for a second dose. If you use a standard 3 treatments of Excenel like we do, then it's about $29 in Excenel vs $27 in Excede (per cow) with less labor.

(Just been approved for use in lactating dairy cattle with no milk withdrawal, so we've been using a fair bit of it and I've been pleased with what I've seen.)

Excenel carries a 4 day slaughter withdrawal, Excede carries none when used per label directions as a base-of-ear injection. Doesn't have to be given that way... I've been using it SQ and so far the creamery hasn't called me on it. :p :oops: My vet tells me the BOE use is only so there is no slaughter withdrawal.

Thought perhaps ya'll would be interested. ;-)

I really like excenel, but in my experience itdoesn't work the greatest in older dairy cows, I never have heard of Exede, I think Excenel is too much money, Exede is wow, very expensive, but like you say could be a more useful drug. I'll have to ask my Vet about it. Thanks for bringing it up.

GMN

My brother-in-law was using Excede back when we kept a good number of Holstein steers (3-6 weight) here before going to the feedlot. He would shoot 'em in the ear, but always warned me about hitting the vein in the ear...said the vet told him it would kill 'em if ya did... :shock:

Don't know that to be true...do you?

We did like the results and as you said, reduced the labor. One and done...most of the time...

Van