Speaking of Eggs

Help Support CattleToday:

Angel food cake
pecan pie
shoot,egg salad
I put a sign on my pecan trees,"Free pecans-You pick" very few takers..

homemade angel food cake takes 12 egg whites to make.that gets rid of alot of eggs if you like angel food cakes.a friend of ours used to make 3 o4 angel good cakes a week.

Back before Hurricane Katrina wiped out my chicken pen I enjoyed sharing eggs with my older neighbors. I need to get back in the chicken business. I used to keep 10-12 brown egg layers and really liked them. The problem around here is that our chickens have to be secured like the gold at Fort Knox because of the dadburn critters. We've got 'coons and possums around here that can pick a lock. Anyway, I need to get to work and build another pen. Watching chickens is almost as relaxing as watching cows.

Our dogs love eggs. I heard that you're not supposed to give them raw eggs because they cant process the white but we've never had a problem with it.
We also were selling eggs for a while for $1.75 a dozen. Every body here loved them cuz there alot fresher then the ones you get in the store. I guess there cheaper too. A dozen large white eggs in the store is around $3.50

Anybody know why the yolks in "yard eggs" are so much more golden than those that come from laying farms??

I think it has to do with what the hen eats. If she has access to grass or other natural things like that instead of just the feed they get in the barns.

TexasBred":251jmtj8 said:
Anybody know why the yolks in "yard eggs" are so much more golden than those that come from laying farms??

Because if you have yard chickens you are feeding them corn, whether it be cracked or shelled. Chickens on poultry farms feed corn screening and by products from flower mills. Especially with corn prices at $5.95 (that's what it closed today for). Also a chicken's egg will take some of the colors of what it is eating the most of.

Auburn_Ag":q7skin17 said:
TexasBred":q7skin17 said:

Because if you have yard chickens you are feeding them corn, whether it be cracked or shelled. Chickens on poultry farms feed corn screening and by products from flower mills. Especially with corn prices at $5.95 (that's what it closed today for). Also a chicken's egg will take some of the colors of what it is eating the most of.
Not quite. The yokes are deep yellow because farm chickens or "yard birds" forage and eat grass and bugs. Beta Carotene makes the yolk deep yellow and stand up tall. For comercial operators, good chicken feed ALWAYS has corn and soybean meal in it. (both yellow) but the yoke is washed out looking. Feed some corn gluten meal and the chicken skin and fat will be more yellow as well as some additional color in the yoke......but bugs make big old yeller egg yokes. :lol2: :lol2:

mnmtranching":hbb79s6i said:
I sold some eggs couple years ago, 1$ dozen. Cleaned em, delivered em and one lady said she found pooh on one and another said she found blood in one. :cry2: Didn't seem to be worth my time :compute: So I don't sell eggs no more. Oh yeah! I bring my Mother tons and she brings them to her card parties. :D When somethings free everybody loves it. :nod:

Lot of good ideas, We'll have eggs for supper and use up 6-8.

I think deviled eggs this weekend.

How do you make custard?

Yes, it is a hassle. I try to tell folks about different yolk colors, blood spots and all. I gathered them up and cleaned them up anyway, so I just sell them. Most people like them and others don't. I never run short of folks that appreciate a home grown egg.

mnmtranching said:
What do you do with 30 eggs a day :shock:

Last year we had 3 bottle calves using a couple dozen a day. No calves this year.

Anybody want some fresh eggs. :help:[/quote

You could always have pickled eggs and beer one day then come on here and tell how your wife made you sleep on the couch that night. :lol2: :lol2:

Cal