Speaking of drop off's.

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
This one's a new one for me.

Know what it is?
P1010062.jpg

Other then the peacock I can't tell. Is the one you're talking about that brown lump?

dun

now thats a pretty cool throw away. peacocks are pretty and expensive too.

Beefy":12of2s3p said:

Someone probably got tired of hearing it yell "HALP"

dun":1gon9vgj said:
Beefy":1gon9vgj said:

You know, I've been hearing that "HALP" for a few day's never heard anything like it before. You that heard it know what I'm talking about. So are these critters Winter hardy?

Aunt and Uncle used to have them here in Arkansas - in a pen similar to their chicken coop - so I'd guess they'd need protection similar to a chicken...

be sure to look around they do drop feathers and they make pretty decorations

mnmtranching":2z6xn1dd said:
This one's a new one for me.

Know what it is?

Sorry, all I see is a peacock. They do tend to wander in and out as they please, though. Had one wander in about 2 years ago, feed it a little ground corn and the next day there were 2. Needless to say, I stopped feeding them - I was afraid I would wake up the next day to 4! :shock:

mnmtranching":rpmoxz5a said:
dun":rpmoxz5a said:
Beefy":rpmoxz5a said:

You know, I've been hearing that "HALP" for a few day's never heard anything like it before. You that heard it know what I'm talking about. So are these critters Winter hardy?

Well, they were winter hardy here. One day one just disappeared, then a few months later the other one did, too. :?:

cattleluvr18":1cl4fo1x said:
hes so pretty...and thats about all they have goin for them.

I would disagree with that statement - they kept our alleyways clean, ate bugs, cleaned up after the cattle, and always let me know when someone was on the place. They drove Dad nuts because they were always doing their business where they shouldn't, but I actually miss the little buggers! :eek: :lol: :lol:

mdmdogs3":2jjmxult said:
...so I'd guess they'd need protection similar to a chicken...

The two that showed up here roosted in the uppermost branches of a big cottonwood tree in the middle of the yard. My dogs took after them a time or two, and it's amazing how fast and high they can fly, too! :shock: I've seen Cia catch birds in flight after they took off from a fence, but she couldn't catch the peacocks.

The one person I know of that has a wild flock of around 50 birds lived in the high Sierra in california. That reproduced every year and had no care. The were as wild as quail but liked to strut the roof ridge of the ranch house. And of course the yelled "HALP" during the breeding season. May have done it other times but that's the only time I recall hearing them.

Actually peacocks can be pretty useful around the farm. Apart from cleaning up like msscamp mentioned, they are really good at attacking snakes, and they work well for our situation because when the does are kidding they tend to scream bloody murder - peacocks don't like their environment being upset so they scream bloody murder too. Between the both of them, we can get up in the night to assist the birth (if need be).

If you want them to stick around, get them in a shed and lock them up with feed for three or four months. They will generally stay around after that.

As far as protection goes, you just have to make sure they roost high enough in a tree - occassionally you may have to lift one up for the first few nights in a new place until they get the idea.

You just wait till one dark scary night, and that thing "Halps." I'm from the country, and those things are loud! I would pen the thing up, especially if you like it. They are "flighty" as some old timers would say, and I've heard stories about people catching them and taking their Fans. Better watch it, and care for it.

We paid 100 dollars for one when we first married, call him Bud, and he lived in a chicken coop. We were going to get a few females, but we werent in a hurry cause he wasn't quite mature. Boy, he could get the chickens riled up when he started making noise. Since he wasn't grown, it was like a honking noise.

I came home one day and his pen door was open and he was gone and we haven't seen him again.

Maybe he got all the way up north? Looks an awful like him. See if he answers to Bud.

This guy is wild, I tried to get closer for a better pic. He just runs like crazy. I saw him again today, off in the pasture. When he saw me he took off. Next time I'm going to yell "BUD". If he comes running I expect the owner to come get him. ;-)

They sure make good locator calls to make wild turkeys gobble. I was turkey hunting one morning and i thought i was really making that gobbler gobble. But he never would come in. So the next morning i moved up on the ridge closer to where the gobbler was roosted and i could hear a peacock on a nearby farm. And every time that thing would yell the turkey would gobble. That went on for hours.

mnmtranching":fthni1fp said:
This guy is wild, I tried to get closer for a better pic. He just runs like crazy. I saw him again today, off in the pasture. When he saw me he took off. Next time I'm going to yell "BUD". If he comes running I expect the owner to come get him. ;-)

Naw, you just keep him. He never answered to his name anyway. The couple of time I did have to move him around there were feathers and poop everywhere. On me, mostly. I am the poultry wrangler around here.

cattleluvr18":2fvtml5q said:
hes so pretty...and thats about all they have goin for them.

They are great for killing snakes. And sounding alarm when something enters the area. My distant neighbor has some and we hear them on rare occassions.