Speaking of driving.....

Help Support CattleToday:

TxSimbrahShower

Reaction score
how many of you Texas driver's think that the state should go back to where the teenager has to either take driver's ed in school or go to an accredited by the state driving school?

There was a story on the news about a study that was done about the accidents that involved teenagers and it stated that 70 something percent (can't remember the exact number) of the teenagers that were in the accidents were taught to drive by their parents.

Alot of the parents can't drive properly, so, why should they teach their children to drive the way that they do. Besides, I know of several that have fudged on the amount of time that the kid really drove.

There isn't that much difference in the cost.

mom

I agree... I think they should have to take the actual coarse where they pile a bunch of teenagers in a car with an instructor and make them drive around with a sign on the door. :)

The only reason I know the laws is because I have Master's Degree from the local Defensive Driving School. ;-)

The instructor asked me if I wanted to fill in on days when she couldn't be there. :lol:

So how do you feel about having the government horn into your business?

TxSimbrahShower":71rumqll said:
how many of you Texas driver's think that the state should go back to where the teenager has to either take driver's ed in school or go to an accredited by the state driving school?

There was a story on the news about a study that was done about the accidents that involved teenagers and it stated that 70 something percent (can't remember the exact number) of the teenagers that were in the accidents were taught to drive by their parents.

Alot of the parents can't drive properly, so, why should they teach their children to drive the way that they do. Besides, I know of several that have fudged on the amount of time that the kid really drove.

There isn't that much difference in the cost.

mom

My son took driver's ed in school and had to pass a written test but there was no actual driving test. I failed my first driving test and had to take it again. That was the most nervous I have ever been.

18 year old cheerleader in Amarillo killed when she ran her car into a car parked on the side of the road, with flairs going and lights on. Split her head open. Her boyfriend was ejected and lived. My son worked the visitation. I think that teens are too distracted and should only drive alone or with a person over 18 for the first year. Maybe 16 is too young.

I don't think it is from the parent taught drivers ed. I think it is because the kids do not have to go down to the DPS and take a driving test. My son hasn't had any wreck and he is 18. I did the parent taught drivers ed.

ffamom":36pkgwkl said:
I don't think it is from the parent taught drivers ed. I think it is because the kids do not have to go down to the DPS and take a driving test. My son hasn't had any wreck and he is 18. I did the parent taught drivers ed.

The time will come... it always does. Pray now... :(

Don't they have some laws in Texas where you can't be out past a certain time and can't have more than X amount of people in the car until you have had your license for a while.

I really like that idea. Let them start driving but limit the passengers and times they can.

That is the cause of most wrecks.

Brute 23":2x54o0hv said:
ffamom":2x54o0hv said:

The time will come... it always does. Pray now... :(

Don't they have some laws in Texas where you can't be out past a certain time and can't have more than X amount of people in the car until you have had your license for a while.

I really like that idea. Let them start driving but limit the passengers and times they can.

That is the cause of most wrecks.

I think you can't have more than one other person under 18 in the car when you are under 18. I see it broken all the time.

ffamom":1qqf1uxw said:

How did he get a valid Texas driver's license without having to go to the DPS dept. to take a driving test? Parent taught or not, don't you still have to take the DPS driving test to get an actual license? Not a learner permit, but, an actual license.

On a side note about no accidents, my cousin was 17 back in March when she and three of her friends, outside of Hemphill, Texas, crossed the center line and hit a car head on, she and two of the girls in her car were killed and the car exploded into flames, and one person in the other car that they hit head on was killed.

mom

In a lot of ways the "no teenage passengers" rule for 16 year old drivers is really good. But if you've got a 16 year old daughter driving home ALONE at 10 pm on a Friday night, well, you wish she could have a friend with her.

dun":2q3ol7va said:

If it keeps my only child a little safer out on the road, more power to them.

mom

TxSimbrahShower":396dzbly said:
dun":396dzbly said:

If it keeps my only child a little safer out on the road, more power to them.

mom

I hear people would be alot safer on the road if the govt would lower the speed limit to 25 mph.... save on traffic snarls too

CUZ":168j2foo said:
In a lot of ways the "no teenage passengers" rule for 16 year old drivers is really good. But if you've got a 16 year old daughter driving home ALONE at 10 pm on a Friday night, well, you wish she could have a friend with her.

You can have one person and there is a time restriction also I think.

Why would a 16 year old girl be driving home at 10 o'clock at night by herself? Any problems that were caused by mos likely could have been prevented. ;-)

AND to get a license in Texas all you have do do is have mommy make up hours on the paper,,, a few signatures,,, walk in and pass a written test,,, and bam! Licensed by the state.

In Georgia they have cracked down. Now you must take drivers ed or a course on the internet and take a bunch of tests. If you know how to drive or know all the answers you still have to sit in front of the computer for 30 or 40 hours. The computer will tell you if you are going to fast even if you are aceing the tests. Then you must also take a driving test at DMV. Once you get your license, kids can't drive from 12:00 am till 6:00 am unless they are coming from a school function.

Jogeephus":20lmbud7 said:
In Georgia they have cracked down. Now you must take drivers ed or a course on the internet and take a bunch of tests. If you know how to drive or know all the answers you still have to sit in front of the computer for 30 or 40 hours. The computer will tell you if you are going to fast even if you are aceing the tests. Then you must also take a driving test at DMV. Once you get your license, kids can't drive from 12:00 am till 6:00 am unless they are coming from a school function.

Another big problem is Mom and Dad the teenager already thinks they are invinceable, Mom and Dad just have to buy them a car. They didn't have to earn it by working for it so if they tear it up after the insurance Mom and Dad will buy them a new one. Drive by any High school parking lot it is quite amazing the high end vehicles parked in there by kids.
In my day the few that were in the high school lot you could throw a cat through and he wouldn't hit anything.

Caustic Burno":39ssvwe3 said:
Jogeephus":39ssvwe3 said:

Another big problem is Mom and Dad the teenager already thinks they are invinceable, Mom and Dad just have to buy them a car. They didn't have to earn it by working for it so if they tear it up after the insurance Mom and Dad will buy them a new one. Drive by any High school parking lot it is quite amazing the high end vehicles parked in there by kids.
In my day the few that were in the high school lot you could throw a cat through and he wouldn't hit anything.

Ragged out pickups are about all you'll see in our lots. Extracurricular activities keep our children going till late in the afternoon. It is extremely hard to remember who goes where and when and its even more difficult getting everyone to where they need to go with both parents working. I'm glad my son can now drive cause it was killing me. But he is also proud that I allow him to drive a twelve year old vehicle and understands if he rags it out he'll be peddling the old Huffy. ;-)

PS I sometimes wonder if the schools aren't keeping the kids too much. Education is great, but at some point they also need to be educated in the field of WORK. JMO

Nevermind, just answered one of my own questions...Parents that teach their kids to drive, can waive the driving test by the dps if they so chose. Again, ppl can fudge on this.

Under 18 drivers can not have more than one person in the car under the age of 21 that is not a family member.

New law that just went into effect Sept. 1,

SB 153 makes it an offense for the accompanying licensed passenger of a driver with a learner's permit to sleep, be intoxicated or to engage in any activity that prevents the passenger from observing and responding to the actions of the driver of the vehicle.

mom

Brute 23":2pgqqd28 said:
CUZ":2pgqqd28 said:

Why would a 16 year old girl be driving home at 10 o'clock at night by herself?

Friday night away game. The girls would meet at school and ride with one girl and her parents. After they get back from the game she still had to drive the 5 miles home.

Gotta begin to trust them at some point. That's where knowing your own child really comes into play. Some folks get it right, some don't and some don't have a clue.

CUZ":1f5hcjdd said:
Brute 23":1f5hcjdd said:
CUZ":1f5hcjdd said:

Why would a 16 year old girl be driving home at 10 o'clock at night by herself?

Friday night away game. The girls would meet at school and ride with one girl and her parents. After they get back from the game she still had to drive the 5 miles home.

Gotta begin to trust them at some point. That's where knowing your own child really comes into play. Some folks get it right, some don't and some don't have a clue.

It the kids falling asleep after a game on the ride home I worry about. ;-)

Well, I'm not from texas, but I like the way they do it here! There are no parent taught coarses. In my drives ed class, I had to pass 32 chapter tests with an 85% or better to be able to take the final. I had to pass the final with a 90% to pass the class. I got one question wrong on my permit test. Behind the wheel- 12 hours total-6 hours driving-6 hours watchin, listening, and learning. They used the same test as the DMV to pass/fail in BTW. Had to drive 30 hours day, 10 hours night to take the DMV BTW test. (all tracked in a log) I passed the DMV behind the wheel with 100%.

They dont put very many restrictions on us after that- we can have as many people in a car as long as they fit/buckled in. No cellphones. We can drive at night/morning. I think it works well.

Latest posts