Speaking of cornbread...

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
Do you like it sweet or unsweet? I have never learned to like sweet cornbread but I know folks who have never had it any other way. We called sweetened cornbread johnnycakes. Not the same as cornbread.

I like it both ways. If its sweet, I want it about 2-3 inches thick and moist as pound cake with a little corn in it. Not sweet, I like it thin. No more than and 1.5". Then there is the thin stuff my MIL makes. Hard and crunchy but good. I like cornbread. Oh, then there's cornbread and cracklings too.

Edit: For some really good and easy to make cornbread you might want to try the Aunt Jemmima corn meal made specifically for cornbread and muffins. It has everything premixed in it. Its good stuff.

Corn bread must be "down South food". Just don't see it up here. I remember having it in basic training. [North Carolina]. Seemed like they served it often. :frowns: Is it something you need to acquire a taste for? I never did :help: Seemed like troll food. YUK! JMO. :cowboy:

mnmtranching":1hsopocg said:
Corn bread must be "down South food". Just don't see it up here. I remember having it in basic training. [North Carolina]. Seemed like they served it often. :frowns: Is it something you need to acquire a taste for? I never did :help: Seemed like troll food. YUK! JMO. :cowboy:

I agree it must just be southern thing, the only cornbread I ever had was served a school lunches in grade school. Then we only had it when we were served chili.... I never acquired the taste. My wife who is from Texas likes it.

Alan

Alan":316lv35o said:
mnmtranching":316lv35o said:

I agree it must just be southern thing, the only cornbread I ever had was served a school lunches in grade school. Then we only had it when we were served chili.... I never acquired the taste. My wife who is from Texas likes it.

Alan

Alan, cornbread is sort of like those turnip green sandwiches. When you got nothing else to eat, after about 3 days they begin to taste pretty good. :lol2: :lol2:

My great uncle used to always say that if the cornbread was sweet that there was a yankee it the kitchen somewhere.

denoginnizer":2we8op44 said:
My great uncle used to always say that if the cornbread was sweet that there was a yankee it the kitchen somewhere.

That's what I always thought. I don't care for sweet cornbread. My brother used to take stale cornbread and soak it in buttermilk. I don't go that far with it. Buttermilk, sheesh! I have also never cared for cornbread dressing. Mom used to make it and put tons of sage in it. My other brother was the taste tester and I guess he really likes sage.

denoginnizer":mkn5k52l said:

Wern't no Yankee :shock: We eat taters and meat, feed the critters corn.

Latest posts