Spaying Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

If you spay a heifer, what class would you show it in at the fair? Steer?

It seems to me that it would have a unfair advantage should you show it agenst other heifers.

Monica":32o81q9k said:
If you spay a heifer, what class would you show it in at the fair? Steer?

It seems to me that it would have a unfair advantage should you show it agenst other heifers.

Doesn't have a thing to do with showing.
Some feedlots routinely spay heifers -- they view it the same as castrating bulls. Altering the animals elimimates the weight loss/reduction of gain that results from having cycling heifers in the bunch. Even a steer will mount a heifer in heat, as will other heifers -- heat cycles interfere with maximum gains in a feedlot situation.

Ann B

Yes the reason for spaying has nothing to do with showing. However, if it does do better at weight gain, would that give you a advatage over the other non altered heifers in the class?

As it is, Most show heifers make terriable cows because they had to be fat for showing. So, why not just spay them to do better at the shows, then sell or butcher them.

I was trying to find someone that had done it as i could get better money for my heifer calves. :)

A old fella here used to do it, but he,s passed away. :cry:

Why do you think they'll bring more money? And isn't it a surgical procedure? I wouldn't think it's something you'd want to do at home..

They will bring more money because if they go to a feed lot, and come in heat, they do a lot of ram rodding around instead of eating. And beating the others around. If they are spayed they will not come in heat.
If done early enough, I wouldn't think it would set them back much. I'm not sure, but I don't think there is any incision(sp) made externaly.

certherfbeef":1w9j6f1c said:
They will bring more money because if they go to a feed lot, and come in heat, they do a lot of ram rodding around instead of eating. And beating the others around. If they are spayed they will not come in heat.
If done early enough, I wouldn't think it would set them back much. I'm not sure, but I don't think there is any incision(sp) made externaly.

unless they are specially marketed and advertised as spayed, you're probably wasting time & money

TheBullLady said:
Why do you think they'll bring more money? And isn't it a surgical procedure? I wouldn't think it's something you'd want to do at home..

I don,t think I know I will better money.The buyer has offered a good offer ,if they are spayed.

This old fella did his at home, so can,t be too complicated. :)

This was discussed not to long ago. Not sure what venue it was on. It;s done vaginally, no incision. Seems like it was under 20 bucks a head.

dun

dun

Latest posts