Spayed Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Minnesota is about to have it's TB status downgraded after finding 4 positive herds in the last year. The TB came up from Texas with some cattle and now it is in the northwestern MN whitetail herd... :( This situation is causing some huge runs at the northern sales barns, and there is a larger than usual discount on light heifers.

I am looking into buying some discounted heifers and then having them spayed. What is your experience with this approach and how well did they sell?

I have often wondered why anyone would spay a heifer. Maybe I am not understanding the term. Would it be like in female dogs, and if so, what is the advantage of spaying female cattle ? Someone please explain. Thanks

Spaying the heifers will keep them from cycling in the feedlot and using energy. At least that is my understanding.

Spaying heifers could give one the option of grassing heifers and steers together without all the commotion of bulling. It would work well for us as well when the neighbors simmental bulls are forever lurking through the barb wire. We've been considering it ourselves but don't want to spend a bunch of dollars doing it. From what I'v heard it isn't a big deal but don't know anybody still doing it. A lot of the oldtimers have crossed over and taken it with them.

alabama":1kd1q885 said:
Spaying the heifers will keep them from cycling in the feedlot and using energy. At least that is my understanding.

Bingo! More concisely, it keeps them focused on eating and gaining, rather than cycling and riding - thereby losing weight. It also has the advantage of preventing pregnancy in cull heifers bound for the feed-lot, thereby possibly raising the price the feedlot buyers are willing to pay. Spaying heifers is a fairly commonplace practice in my area, and the cost is around $5.00/heifer.