Spanish Help

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":36v3a7aq said:
PennBranch":36v3a7aq said:
On a cattle board we should at least teach things that come in handy in the feild.

1. Eso no es una ubre
2.Yo preferiría que, tu hace harías la prueba de embarazo
3. Usted debe evitar pisar esas serpientes de cascabel
4. Por qué estás haciendo este a mi vaca
5 Es posible que no quiera sentarse en el scorpian

Good but not "street nor farm spanish".

I assumed we were in polite company. Man I haven't spoke spanish is 20 years.

Earl Thigpen":88tpbmz9 said:
Yo hable poquito. "?Qumo usta frijola, cabrito?" - How you bean, kid?

classic

Kinda like those learn spanish from phonics commercials. Socks... S-O-C-K-S = yes this is the one.

TexasBred":2tlaeu27 said:
Snider_Angus":2tlaeu27 said:
I refuse to learn or let alone speak spanish until I am forced to move to Mexico. This is America, We speek english. Why do we have to put up with immigration AND! learn to speak a difference to accomidate them?? Not to draw attention away from the topic, that is just my opinion.

Communication.....I learned Spanish from the Mexicans working for me....in turn the learned as much english as they could from me. (With a Texas drawl of course). The children can learn it very quickly. I would talk to the hired hands in Spanish and they would talk back to me in English. Worked great for both of us. Am a bit stale on it now but can still carry on a very "sloooooooow" conversation.

Yes i understand that much but I dont have them working for me.. If i did i could see where it comes in handy. Have you ever tried to sit through a 11th Grade English class and not been able to hear the teacher because she stuck you in the mexican session(excuse the history pun) at the beggining of school, and you can't here her speak over all the mexicans yapping spanish in your ears??? And then when you complain about it you are the one that gets in trouble because your not being "nice" to the ****ers. "They are more comfortable speaking spanish amongst them self. Leave them alone."(thats what one of my teachers ACTUALLY TOLD ME) "How would you like it if you went to a new country and there was no one around that spoke your language??" I WOULDNT BE THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE AND IF I SO HAPPENED TO BE THERE I WOULD GO BACK TO WHERE I CAME FROM........ Just so you all know, I am not mad. I am sick of listining to spanish in SCHOOL. and The teachers want us to accomidate them. REMEMBER i am not mad.... just showing you the grass on my side of the fence.

Snider I see where you're coming from. Don't know much you can do except move to the front of the room and then tell everybody around you speaking spanish to ****.....If I moved to Mexico I'd definitely want to learn the language immediately. I think they do as well if they are in mixed company but when they get in their little hispanic groups spanish IS the language. But then again I guess we do the same when we hit Cancun, Acapulco, and the other vacation places.

Again...I can only imagine how you must feel. :cry:

Snider_Angus":360rcsry said:
I refuse to learn or let alone speak spanish until I am forced to move to Mexico. This is America, We speek english. Why do we have to put up with immigration AND! learn to speak a difference to accomidate them?? Not to draw attention away from the topic, that is just my opinion.

Okay...I wasn't going to but I feel I do need to address this topic. I, for one personally feel that this is American, you SHOULD speak english. HOWEVER, english is one of the hardest languages to learn. I used to always have the attitude, well you come to our country you should speak our language or get out. I think that if someone comes and doesn't speak english but is learning and trying hard, GREAT, good for them...I more than welcome them. If you come into this country and REFUSE to learn the language and then want people to learn yours...forget it. Get out and go home. That being said. I am currently living in Europe as a short term missionary. I have been here two months now. I CANNOT speak the language. I am trying my best to learn, but it is very difficult! If it were not for the few people here that DO speak english I would have given up long ago. I go to my Hungarian classes, and try to speak it to people but I go to work each day, and if my boss is not there...I can't communicate with the other guys at work. Do any of you honestly have ANY idea how hard or discouraging that is? I want to work hard, and get the job done...but half the time I don't even know what I am being asked to do!!! How many of you have ever tired to walk into a resturant and not be able to even order food because you couldn't communicate with the waiter. How many of you have felt so alone when you are lost in the middle of the biggest city in the country and you can't find anyone to give you directions? It is NOT easy to try to move to another country and learn the language, customs, culture, everything...I never realized just how difficult it was until I was forced to do it. That is just my opnion. I just want to be able to help teach the new guys at the farm english, so they don't end up feeling as lost as I am. As for you complaining about immigration...how do you think 99% of us got to be Americans? If it wasn't for our grandparents, great grandparents, great great grandparents etc, immigrating...the majority of us WOULD NOT BE HERE!!! There would be no "Americans".

That's what the guys at the farm do...they work hard, learn the language and become good citizens. As I said before...if you want to come to America but dont feel like learning the language...don't let the door hit you on the way out. I just think it will be helpful to be able to be able to help the guys as they transition..thats all I was saying

Know how y'all feel! Communication is the mechanism of understanding: language, visual, etc.

In college I took Spanish and French. Also did some self-study in Italian and Japanese. NOW...I can read and write a very little Spanish...understand a very few words in French (written). HEARING UNDERSTANDING was always problematic.

Of the languages I've looked at, English and French are probably the most inconsistent languages around (excusing the Scandanavian, Russian, German, etc., ones I know nothing about). Spanish, Italian, Portugese, and Japanese all have very strong phonetic sounds, such as: A,E,I,O,U, ma, ka, sa, ta, etc. Spanish seems to follow some rather precise rules. English and French...help! Japanese has 2 forms: "characters" and the "ka-ta-ka-na" alphabet. If you can correctly pronounce Spanish words, you can pronounce Japanese Katakana (but, Japanese does not have an "L" in the language). In some languages (e.g., Japanese, I think) the "context" in which something is said may change the "meaning" of the word or phrase. [In any event I'm glad I grew up in an English speaking family, otherwise I don't think I could EVER learn English...LOL!]

IMO if one knows the basic vowel, dipthong, tripthong and ~ pronunciations, you can read and speak Spanish (whether or not you're understanding anything or not). Italian has a few novelty sounds too and syllable divisions.

The "self-study" tapes and videos probably work (e.g., Rosetta Stone, etc.); however, one must be very dedicated and they are nothing like 1:1 interaction attempts or some instruction. But, one needs to learn the "rules" of grammer, including verb conjugation, nouns and pronouns. Lest not forget the many "variations" of any language: regionally, formal vs. casual, etc.

My naive advice:

Learn the "basic" pronounciations, most commonly used verbs, characteristic nouns associated with everyday living and work environment, pronouns, and a few short phrases of importance. Just be sure to pronounce all correctly and use the proper verb tenses. If you have trouble "understanding" what someone says, at least have written and reading knowledge so you can read/write your stuff even if you can't understand verbal interactions.

Right now I am workin at a Mongolian Stir Fry restaurant as a cook since im not in school for the summer and Im the only person who speaks english as a first language in the back. I can speak enough spanish to get by there. But those mexicans work harder than anyone i know and they try to learn english. So i wouldnt say they disrespect American culture but I doubt its easy to learn a new language with no help.

CattleHand":29fifiwf said:
Right now I am workin at a Mongolian Stir Fry restaurant as a cook .

We have a restaurant in town that is called The Mongolian Grill,,the food is to die for, quite pricey but really good and all fresh ingredient's.

Do you get to sample the food?

I have sampeled the food before (stuff we werent going to serve) but now the boss has cameras so i dont anymore. but since i work there i get a deal on the food. And i get to take home all the rice I want basically. Its crazy how much they throw away just so people have fresh food.

Im going to disagree that English is one of the hardest languages to learn. I took three years of spanish so i do have some kind of an idea about how to speak it. I think it is hard to learn because they have so many different congrigation (sp) big word that means difffernet endings for different tenses. Like preterite and impefict. They have some where around 10 different tenses with 5 endings in each tense for me, you, he, we, they. that does not happen in English. True its confusing when we have there their and they're but Spanish has the same thing for some words. I learned 4 or five ways to say maybe. IT all matters on your mind like mine can't comprehend and remeber and retain for as fast as it was gone through in class. It also matters where you grow up and when you learn the language the younger you are the easier it is. Now the english language has expanded through many nations through out the years due to the internet and englsih speaking people have traveled a lot. Hey i'll give them a chance as long as they coem here leagally and work hard to make a living. My ancestors spoke dutch when they came to the U.S. and other foriegn languages along with many of your ancestors also so don't forget that. What i can't stand is the oens that take drugs in and come to make a quick buck and then run for the border. And yes a lot of Illegal workers take jobs here in the US but how many of us would do the jobs they do. I know i wouldn't pick vegtables in the california sun for 12 or more hours a day and get treated the way they do on the job. So i don't have the solution and this is just my opinion on it.

PennBranch":3uers65r said:
On a cattle board we should at least teach things that come in handy in the feild.

1. Eso no es una ubre
2.Yo preferiría que te hicieras la prueba de embarazo
3. Usted debe evitar pisar esas serpientes de cascabel
4. Por qué estás haciendo eso a mi vaca?
5 Es posible que no quiera sentarse en el escorpión

:lol2:

Latest posts