SP 4449

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
The Southern Pacific "Daylight" 4449 steam engine came through Havre, MT yesterday afternoon and we went up there to see it.

006.jpg

Coming in the station

046.jpg

Plaque on the nose of the train

054.jpg

Crowd checking out the engine

050.jpg

Some guy stepped into my picture :lol2:

058.jpg

Greasing the wheels

018.jpg

Hiawathia tail car

035.jpg

California Zephyr car, had 3 on the train.

Does it carry passengers? If so,that's going on my "Bucket List" :nod: :wave:

Peg they have passenger's riding on it. I was getting a nice pic of a couple in the upper level of one of the cars and some guy walked right in front of me, so I got his head instead in the pic. :(
They have a web site set up and you can click on the twitter link and follow where it goes. They have some pics also on there.
www.sp4449.com

My son got to see it come into Williston in the early morning hours- and said it was neat in the cool temps to see the steam trailing out around/behind for what looked like miles....

While I was tied up meeting some folks on a heifer deal and couldn't get away- my grandkids did get to see it...I can remember back when the old Great Northern steamers ruled the tracks- and they had the firemen/boilermen besides engineers and conductors, and with every train having to have a caboose- and brakeman...Being a railroad town- it was quite a hit to the economy when they did away with each of those positions....

One thing I don't miss is the old rail cattle cars- and chipping ice out of the doors at 20 Below to load them at 4AM- back when I worked at the stockyard in old teenage days....

When we went by the station after dinner they had the road next to it blocked off and had several 3" hoses hooked up to the fire hydrant filling it up. Was too dark for a picture though.

My grandfather worked as a "greaser", the size of those wheels really puts things in perspective. Thanks for the wonderful pics.