Soybeans

Help Support CattleToday:

wacocowboy":2rqkbov5 said:
I have never seen them grow soy beans around here. I see lots of corn, some milo, some cotton and some sunflowers to the north but no beans. Is this not a good climate for beans?
Probably could if you water them a lot during those 100+ degree days, but grass types, and cotton are suited a lot better for your dryer, hotter climate. Bet wheat doesn't do to shabby down there, if you get some spring rains?

They grow a few beans here but its hit or miss with yield and price. Good thing is they are cheap to grow and if you get water when they are bearing and the price is good you can make good money. Soybeans are the only crop I've ever personally grown and when it was all said and done with I broke even. Could have made some money had I taken out insurance but that's something else.

sim.-ang.king":10o6defg said:
wacocowboy":10o6defg said:
I have never seen them grow soy beans around here. I see lots of corn, some milo, some cotton and some sunflowers to the north but no beans. Is this not a good climate for beans?
Probably could if you water them a lot during those 100+ degree days, but grass types, and cotton are suited a lot better for your dryer, hotter climate. Bet wheat doesn't do to shabby down there, if you get some spring rains?

Yeah wheat looks good this year, but now it is sitting in these fields in all this water not sure what that will do to it.

wacocowboy":1pt86soj said:
sim.-ang.king":1pt86soj said:
wacocowboy":1pt86soj said:

Yeah wheat looks good this year, but now it is sitting in these fields in all this water not sure what that will do to it.
Drove to Cameron today alot of the wheat was layed down . the fields standing in water. I would think its going to be big loss.

A lot of it is turning kind of grayish. I dunno I am not a farmer, but wont the seed start falling off with these winds and strong rains and some hail.

wacocowboy":2d2vtrs1 said:

Transport cost to the closest processor is probably the main reason beans are not grown there. There is not much you can do with a soybean in the ''raw'' state. It requires either cooking or other processing to make a useful feed ingredient.

mwj":6iqt279e said:
wacocowboy":6iqt279e said:

Transport cost to the closest processor is probably the main reason beans are not grown there. There is not much you can do with a soybean in the ''raw'' state. It requires either cooking or other processing to make a useful feed ingredient.
More about the soil.....Blackland Prarie sounds ???? romantic ???? but just because you have good dirt doesn't mean it will grow just anything you put in the ground....watermelon for example ;-)

sim.-ang.king":3br5m8qb said:
wacocowboy":3br5m8qb said:
Wheat Is a big crop every year. If it doesn't quit raining though it's all going to sprout this year. I've seen three or four small tracts of land planted in beans over the year. No idea waht they used them for unless they fed them to deer.

1982vett":1h2kyb88 said:
mwj":1h2kyb88 said:
wacocowboy":1h2kyb88 said:

More about the soil.....Blackland Prarie sounds ???? romantic ???? but just because you have good dirt doesn't mean it will grow just anything you put in the ground....watermelon for example ;-)
My grandfather taught me to grow dam fine watermelon in Blackland soil . Dig out a 2x2x2 foot hole. Go down to the river and get you some sand. Fill hole with sand and plant your watermelon seed. :cboy:

Wheat in northern Texas and southern OK looked as good as I've seen it in the west. My brother said that the south had a better forecast than the northern aspect of OK and Kansas which is abnormal. But I agree with TB, it's going to start sprouting in the heads if this keeps up, let alone fall down. Betting on higher wheat prices might be money.

1982vett":thxuqjxh said:
mwj":thxuqjxh said:
wacocowboy":thxuqjxh said:

The worst watermelons I've ever tasted in my life came out of Comanche, Tx. They tasted like a citron.

fenceman":fbjydaeq said:
1982vett":fbjydaeq said:
wacocowboy":fbjydaeq said:

My grandfather taught me to grow dam fine watermelon in Blackland soil . Dig out a 2x2x2 foot hole. Go down to the river and get you some sand. Fill hole with sand and plant your watermelon seed. :cboy:
:lol: I guess that's the ticket fenceman