Soy hull pellets

Help Support CattleToday:

Lots of talk on weeds and hay and supplements and such.

At risk of offending:

Well this outfit never worries about hay quality as long as there is some hay that reaches 7 % for fall feed and the rest hits 11 - 12% for the remainder of winter - 9% will do for mid winter if required.

If I have that I never supplement and the girls seem to do ok. All winter long.

And remember, these girls sleep on some pretty deep snow. They are generally on free choice hay from mid November until late April to mid-May.

You can bale weeds until - pardon the pun - the cows come home. What we tend to forget is that there are a lot of weeds out there that actually do provide decent feed value. And in fact the cows not only will eat them, they actually like them.

Not to say hay is not important - but I wonder why it is so important to place such a high protein content from various supplements in front of them?

To me is is money that is not well spent unless desparately needed, and anything over about 12% is pisss ed out on the ground anyways.

Without any BS - perhaps it is because we have literally bred them to do well on this type of condition - I spend nothing on those cows unless it is apparent they will be in dire straights without it.

Regards

Bez>

Soy bean hulls along with lot's of other junk is pelletized with a little flavor and sold by big company's as creep feed. Check out the ingredients, all commercial creep feed contains all or mostly soy hulls. And they recommend feeding in creepfeeders, which would be free choice.

Just in my opinion, soyhulls seem to attract quite a few people because of their price. I believe, however, that consumption will be quite higher on them, and it will take many more pounds of them to put on a pound of gain than a standard creep pellet. Just my opinion, for what it is worth, but price doesn't always equate to cost.

Latest posts