Soy hull pellets

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I saw my neighbor at the co-op earlier today. He was buying a creep type feeder and said he was going to feed soy hull pellets free choice to his 500 pound steers.

Can you feed soy hull pellets free choice to cows?

I wouldn't feed them to borken mouthed cows.

Why are you wanting to suppliment the cows? Are you short on hay? Might want to have your hay nutrient tested than go from there with the amount of soy pellets you feed.

Aroung here soy pellets are cheaper than corn.

I have for the last two winters, I have two gravity wagons, One filled with whole corn the other with soyhull pellets. I empty all the soyhull pellets in the trough, and add a couple tractor bucket of whole corn, every other day

I have seen more than one cow bust a gut and die by eating them free choice.

Limit feed them.

They swell when they get wet.

Soy hull pellets only run around 13% protien so they're not going to do much to counteract really poor hay.

dun

dun":1jqpew7i said:
Soy hull pellets only run around 13% protien so they're not going to do much to counteract really poor hay.

dun

Speaking of really poor hay , around here I have been watching folks bale junk that is just weeds. I mean they are bailing anything that there cutter will cut.

denoginnizer":1ebl1xaq said:
dun":1ebl1xaq said:

dun

Speaking of really poor hay , around here I have been watching folks bale junk that is just weeds. I mean they are bailing anything that there cutter will cut.

There's a gent up the road that bales 20 acres of queen anns lace every year. I have no idea where it goes but it never sits in the field more then a couple of days.

dun

denoginnizer":36p2y6gi said:
I saw my neighbor at the co-op earlier today. He was buying a creep type feeder and said he was going to feed soy hull pellets free choice to his 500 pound steers.

There are some studies that show soy hull pellets increase the comsumption and ADG for hay based backgrouding rations. They also reported some bloat problems with free choice feeding.

I do not know why you would feed them to cows unless you were feeding low CP straw.

They are great if you want to ration your hay. I fed them to a group of cows at the rate of about 3#s per head per day and cut back on the hay and they looked good coming out of the winter. I had much rather buy them than hay. Alot better buy.

Can you free choice soy hull pellets to creep fed calves with the bloat problems you talk of I was wondering if it's safe with calves? It's cheaper than CG around here now.

Yes I creep feed calves on them and never have a problem. I also wean my calves and feed them about 8 pounds per head per day with fee choice hay through the winter. For me there is no better feed. I know alot of people that do the same thing and it works well. On the calves that are weaned I keep plenty free choice mineral out because they will consume more eating the pellets.

MikeC":mlmvpmjl said:

I have seen more than one cow bust a gut and die by eating them free choice.

Limit feed them.

They swell when they get wet.

I creap feed young calves soy hules but they can make calves and or cows blote. Be very carfull.

Start off slow and keep plentu of good grass or hay in front of them. Don't feed next to water. Use a mineral that contans bovitec (SP).

actually soy hulls are non forage fiber, and will help digest poor quality hay, but I wouldn't free choice them.

To hell with it, I give up. I just won't use them. All I have gotten is mixed advice on here, in talking to local people.
Creep feeder will just not have much in it, can't keep throwing dollars at the calves.

I have noticed that sometimes when I have fed SHP that my cattle, especially weaned heifers get a choking reaction to them. Never have lost one, but I have seen them go to their knees and through them up, then right back to the trough they go. Has anyone else noticed this?

Smoky

I have and do, fed soyhull pellets & corn gluten mix and to me this is very good creep for growing calves and yes replacement heifers ( free choice) will not become overly fat and make good milking cows. At one time around here (ky) back in late winter soyhulls become hard to find for a while, because they were being used so much to help cut the price of corn.

blk mule

Soyhull pellets are great and an economical feed for cows and calves. Have your feed dealer mix some Rumensin in with the mix and you will have no bloat problems.

jd35154":2emr76b2 said:
Soyhull pellets are great and an economical feed for cows and calves. Have your feed dealer mix some Rumensin in with the mix and you will have no bloat problems.
I would save money and just use any brand of monensin rather than buying the Higher priced Elanco trademarked Rumensin. I've used generic and Elanco's brand I saw no difference between the 2 other than price. Monensin is monensin. In my opinon paying more for the brand name is bad management.