soy hull pellets

Help Support CattleToday:

Lauren":32yhvflp said:
Hi! Could someone tell me where to buy soy hull pellets in alabama?

Grain Mart (Co-op)(Decatur) for large quantities. Casey feed in Hayneville has an auger truck and will deliver. Talk to Dwight. 334-548-2789

The local co-op around Decatur will deliver them in bulk as well.

Sweet Pelletized Soybean hulls

9 % protein
.5 % fat
40 % fiber
Soybean hulls, screening, dust, & Molasses

Medic24":3qfdw4p9 said:
Ever notice though with soy hull pellets the cattle tend to swell and regergatate much more when they first start eating them? don't like that too much. :cboy:

Several (mostly hobby cattlemen) killed bunches of cows and calves around here due to bloat by feeding soyhull pellets during the drought a few years back.

They're an inexpensive (sometimes) supplement. Be careful.

I have developed bulls on soyhulls and hay and they did fair. ADG=3-4 lbs. I never got up the nerve to free choice them though. The marbling and backfat was a little lacking that year too.

MikeC":1aj3bq6b said:
Medic24":1aj3bq6b said:
Ever notice though with soy hull pellets the cattle tend to swell and regergatate much more when they first start eating them? don't like that too much. :cboy:

Several (mostly hobby cattlemen) killed bunches of cows and calves around here due to bloat by feeding soyhull pellets during the drought a few years back.

I have developed bulls on soyhulls and hay and they did fair. ADG=3-4 lbs. I never got up the nerve to free choice them though. The marbling and backfat was a little lacking that year too.
Mike, what are your feelings on Corn Gluten Pellets?

Crowderfarms":3grsd43l said:
MikeC":3grsd43l said:
Medic24":3grsd43l said:

I have never fed them alone. Only in a complete feed mix.
Sorry, I cannot say from experience. Only hearsay.

MikeC":2p03ewxe said:
Crowderfarms":2p03ewxe said:
MikeC":2p03ewxe said:
Medic24":2p03ewxe said:

I have never fed them alone. Only in a complete feed mix.
Sorry, I cannot say from experience. Only hearsay.
We have them mixed heavy for Winter feeding.Cattle do well on them,some feed them almost as a sole feed. I'd be afraid to do that, as they might cause bloat like Soy Hull pellets.

A couple of years ago, during the last drought, we fed fairly low quality hay and a couple of pounds per head.day of straight CG pellets. Made the cows loose as a goose, just like fresh green grass. Some wouldn;t eat them, others sucked them up like candy. If seen the same problem with them even in complete feeds. The palatability issue seems to be strictly an individual cow thing. They make up about 50% of our weaning ration and we've had no problems, but the same cows that didn't like them straight won;t eat the mix either. It's really down to only one of those cows that's left and she'll be hitting the bricks in another couple of months when we wean.
New heifers are sometimes kind of piccky about eating it at first but seem to get over it fairly quickly. A neighbor has a half dozen cows that won;t touch anything with them in it at all. Cows, go figure!

dun

Takes a little bit of time for Cattle to get used to the taste of them. I've never had a problem with the runs at all. Guess it's luck. We use them mixed in a 12% feed.At first they would eat around the CG pellets, but soon started to eat all of the feed.

Crowderfarms":1tbgr818 said:
Takes a little bit of time for Cattle to get used to the taste of them. I've never had a problem with the runs at all. Guess it's luck. We use them mixed in a 12% feed.At first they would eat around the CG pellets, but soon started to eat all of the feed.

It was only when we fed them straight, mixed there's no squirts.

dun

A fellow here picked up a bunch of straight corn gluten pellets that were being off loaded from a barge that was trying to combust. Even though they had a slight smoky oder the cows loved them. He just dumped the truck in the pasture and let them eat free choice. He was no longer a cattleman the next day. It killed his prize bull and all his cows. I don't know whether the heat it went threw contributed to the the factor or his just being a dumb a$$ was enough on its own.

JB

wow a tuff way to go out of the cattle business JB.... dang. :( free choice anything at first is a big no-no.

I have only lost one cow to feed before and it was solely my fault.....she got lose and I had left the door to the feed room open... and of course the rest is history.... the real shame was, when we opened her up, out popped a almost full term calf. :cboy:

Also kind of reminds me of this...................when offered feed at reduced prices because of mold or heat, I always decline.... ya have to think.... if you loose even one cow, or even have to doctor that one cow because of your thriftyness at the feed store,,, where is the savings in the end? Right? :?: :?: :cboy:

Soy hulls are great to creep calves on free chouse but be sure and feed with a salt contaning bovitech (sp). That should keep them from bloting. Start them off slow.

Latest posts