Soy beans

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes we do! We dry roll them and mix in our growing and finishing rations. In fact, soybeans have been the only protein I have purchased in four years. I have used them some on the cow herd also.
As far as what to watch out for, They do have a lot of fat so you should feed only up to the level of protein needed. If you over feed the animals can scour, or at least get pretty darn loose. Also, soybeans contain an enzyme called urease. This is not a problem in cattle unless you just feed way to much or could possibly cause a problem if you are feeding urea. Some people like to roast the beans to get rid of the urease, however I have concluded you about need to have a lab near by in order to keep things in check. Over cooking can be detrimental to the nutrients of the beans.

don't feed them whole/raw soybeans in a very large volume without being mixed with A LOT of other feed. They have to be processed or you'll end up with a lot of dead animals. soy hulls or processed beans are safe to feed. just not raw ones.

Jake, if you are feeding hogs your statement would be true about the dead animals. And five years ago most everyone had that impression, however, nearly all research on raw soybeans has been done in the last five years. As a result, every university that has studied raw beans has proven them to be safe for cattle. One research group fed as much as 12 lbs. to brood cows to study the effects. The result was, a bunch of fat cows, They also studied the soybeans fed with urea situation, to test the theory that urease toxicity would be problematic. They are the only ones that I have found to have done this. The results showed no effect what so ever. I would not recomend any one do this unless they know what they are doing, and what to look for. I done some feeding trials a few years ago with sunflowers and urea, under the guides of a nutritionist with a PHD. We experienced urease toxicity, symptoms were bloat, decreased consumption but only one died, we were trying to get a trocar in him at the time.

Tod, I was wondering what your plans are for using soybeans. The reason I ask is I have been wanting to try feeding whole beans with whole corn. Just thought you were thinking the same thing. Please let me know.
Take care all!

Primarily as a supplement. We use cotton seed now but I think soy beans might be easier for me to store and work with. I am going to have to look at the cost per ton first.

That's great!!! We looked into the soybean deal because we raise them. We also raise alfalfa so what ever we can sell and net the most we ship out and use the other. They have both worked great for us. I really like using the beans in our finish ration, the smartest move I have ever made.

Big D,

Can you point me in the direction of this university study? I also raise soybeans and I am very interested in this info.

Also how do you dry roll your beans?

JB

Kansas state has done a lot, some at the southwest reserch center, sorry I don't have the links for you. Missouri state has done quite a bit also. As far a dry rolling, I use the same mill for beans and corn. 7 grooves per inch and adjust for a tighter clearance on the beans. Some thing to keep in mind. In warm weather, 85 plus temps, rolled beans can go rancid becuase of the fat being exposed to oxygen. We roll a 2 week supply at a time and get along fine.