Southern states

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
2 out of 3 southern States in my area are garbage nothing in stock.. poor customer service..feed orders delayed just terrible.. anyone else see this going on? It's to the point that I rather but from TSC

I wanted 9 tons of feed offered to pay for it the manager called said my feed would be delivered to me 3 weeks ago called always an excuse called other store same thing I called CPS I do a lot of business with them asked what there equivalent to jump start they sold through performance feeds it was delivered to me 2 days later

Our's here seems to be doing ok. I don't know if it is true but heard the other day that Southern States had been bought by Cargill.

The one here is Managed by an Azz hole. I will drive 20 miles out of my way to keep from buying anything there. Prices are high, very little stock, Azz hole manager could care less about helping the farmers. I see a new manager shortly or closure.

Sounds like my closest ss it went without a gm for a year feed in bags water stained if they do have feed.. alot have mice chewed holes they tape up and try to hide

Rural King here is about the same. Been headed that way for last 2 years. Same problems. Unable to keep the most basic farming and agriculture supplies stocked. They sell the heck out of guns and dog food though.(just prepare for a long wait for a gun purchase) Went last night for fence posts,(4" round by 8ft) dream on! Nothing in stock.
Called TSC, they had posts but no post mix. I suspect as our society moves further away from agricultural endeavors, finding basic materials for fence and livestock will become more challenging. Probably be a drop ship from Amazon. :bang:

Our local southern states is still owned by a local couple and has excellent service. Always have plenty of fertilizer wagons in good shape.

They have a good selection of feed,seed,and basic vet supplies. Also have some really good deals on gates and chutes when having a sale.

It's hard to beat the hometown service you get there. They even still load your truck for you.

kentuckyguy":2921co5y said:
Our local southern states is still owned by a local couple and has excellent service. Always have plenty of fertilizer wagons in good shape.

They have a good selection of feed,seed,and basic vet supplies. Also have some really good deals on gates and chutes when having a sale.

It's hard to beat the hometown service you get there. They even still load your truck for you.

Better hope they stay open a long time cause that's not the norm

skyhightree1":33l6mi64 said:
kentuckyguy":33l6mi64 said:

We have a local home and garden retail store here that is the same way. And the local builders supply stocks a lot of posts, wire, gates and feed. Both offer a personalized atmosphere and good customer service. That's one of the best things about living in a small town for me. I do business with them and they do business with me.

jltrent":1n2tu33t said:
The one here is Managed by an Azz hole. I will drive 20 miles out of my way to keep from buying anything there. Prices are high, very little stock, Azz hole manager could care less about helping the farmers. I see a new manager shortly or closure.
Glad you said it, not me. Haven't been in there in years. I drove by it Friday and went to TN Coop to get a ton of Urea. Buy all my feed from a real feed dealer. Vaccines too.
It's 11:40 pm and I can text my feed supplier now and almost bet the feed will be here by 9am. Now that's service.

Competition will do one of 2 things. Make their competitors improve or drive them out of business.
We have neither RK or SS here, but do have TSC, which for many items, has no local competition.
But TSC (8 miles away) is so sorry with customer service (unless you're raising goats or pets) , I'd rather drive 99 miles North to Bryan and Producers Co-op than go to any TSC between here and Bryan.
Areas I've seen that had both an Atwoods and TSC, the TSC HAD to get better if they were going to survive because Atwoods is usually a better choice.

Some really good SS's in ky. Best deal on the best posts. Good deal on wire. maysville store is huge and has anything you need.

JMJ Farms":spgh0v54 said:
skyhightree1":spgh0v54 said:
kentuckyguy":spgh0v54 said:

We have a local home and garden retail store here that is the same way. And the local builders supply stocks a lot of posts, wire, gates and feed. Both offer a personalized atmosphere and good customer service. That's one of the best things about living in a small town for me. I do business with them and they do business with me.
Wish I got to the city more often, builders supply is doing a good job. ChasMar doesn't donate anything to the GCA, not even a flashlight for our Christmas give away. So I shop Lumber City hardware first, there even sponsoring our next meeting September 13th. Come on by and eat PORK chops with us.

Customer owned, so all who are joined are equal? Forget that. They discount to buddies and other "equal" members pay full price. Base prices often more than private stores. A real issue with loss of inventory. Sad deal since we own and we lose.

I ordered a sprayer pump from Rural King online. They shipped the wrong one. I contacted them and they send another and gave me a prepaid ticket to download to send the other back. It was a hassle but things happen so I complied even though the box they sent them in were smashed and broken when I received. They put a 14 lb pump in a box about like a shoe box.

I was at the ranch for about a week and before I got back and found a new box to ship the thing they sent me a email letting me know that they needed the return asap and were contacting their security department. I politely let them know that was their last order from me.

rural king is terrible unless you are buying an in stock item.

i don't see how the store even operates.

kenny thomas":31wedhrf said:
jltrent":31wedhrf said:
Glad you said it, not me. Haven't been in there in years. I drove by it Friday and went to TN Coop to get a ton of Urea. Buy all my feed from a real feed dealer. Vaccines too.
It's 11:40 pm and I can text my feed supplier now and almost bet the feed will be here by 9am. Now that's service.

Y'all coming all the way to Bristol to shop at SS ? Sounds like it with the A hole manager

Ky hills":5xsj2s4t said:
Our's here seems to be doing ok. I don't know if it is true but heard the other day that Southern States had been bought by Cargill.

Feed portion only is what Cargill bought. Three kinds of Southern States private owned,
co-op, and company owned. I do alot of fertilizer and chemical business with ss and am very happy. Left a local outfit several years ago after fert was half ass spread. I do feed business with a large ky based feed company. Will not take feed to ss because happy with way things are.

Latest posts