Southern Football

Help Support CattleToday:

*Cowgirl*

Reaction score
Planning for the fall football season in the South is radically different than up North. For those who are planning a football trip South, here are some helpful hints.

Women's Accessories

NORTH: ChapStick in back pocket and a $20 bill in the front pocket.
SOUTH: Louis Vuitton duffel with two lipsticks, waterproof mascara, and a fifth of bourbon. Money not necessary - that's what dates are for.

Stadium Size

NORTH: College football stadiums hold 20,000 people.
SOUTH: High school football stadiums hold 20,000 people.

Fathers

NORTH: Expect their daughters to understand Sylvia Plath.
SOUTH: Expect their daughters to understand pass interference.

Campus Decor

NORTH: Statues of founding fathers.
SOUTH: Statues of Heisman trophy winners.

Homecoming Queen

NORTH: Also physics major.
SOUTH: Also Miss America.

Heroes

NORTH: Rudy Guliani
SOUTH: Archie & Peyton Manning

Getting Tickets

NORTH: 5 days before the game you walk into the ticket office on campus and purchase tickets.
SOUTH: 5 months before the game you walk into the ticket office on campus and put name on waiting list for tickets.

Friday Classes After a Thursday Night Game

NORTH: Students and teachers not sure they're going to the game, because they have classes on Friday.
SOUTH: Teachers cancel Friday classes because they don't want to see the few hung over students that might actually make it to class.

Parking

NORTH: An hour before game time, the University opens the campus for game parking.
SOUTH: RVs sporting their school flags begin arriving on Wednesday for the weekend festivities. The really faithful arrive on Tuesday.

Game Day:

NORTH: A few students party in the dorm and watch ESPN on TV.
SOUTH: Every student wakes up, has a beer for breakfast, and rushes over to where ESPN is broadcasting "Game Day Live" to get on camera and wave to the idiots up north who wonder why "Game Day Live" is never broadcast from their campus.

Tailgating

NORTH: Raw meat on a grill, beer with lime in it, listening to local radio station with truck tailgate down.

SOUTH: 30-foot custom pig-shaped smoker fires up at dawn. Cooking accompanied by live performance by "Dave Matthews' Band," who come over during breaks and ask for a hit off bottle of bourbon.

Getting to the Stadium

NORTH: You ask "Where's the stadium?" When you find it, you walk right in.
SOUTH: When you're near it, you'll hear it. On game day it becomes the state's third largest city.

Concessions

NORTH: Drinks served in a paper cup, filled to the top with soda.
SOUTH: Drinks served in a plastic cup, with the home team's mascot on it, filled less than half way with soda, to ensure enough room for bourbon.

When National Anthem is Played

NORTH! : Stands are less than half full, and less than half of them stand up.
SOUTH: 100,000 fans, all standing, sing along in perfect four-part harmony.

The Smell in the Air After the First Score

NORTH: Nothing changes.
SOUTH: Fireworks, with a touch of bourbon.

Commentary (Male)
NORTH: "Nice play."
SOUTH: "Dammit, you slow sumbitch - tackle him and break his legs."

Commentary (Female)
NORTH: "My, this certainly is a violent sport."
SOUTH: "Dammit, you slow sumbitch - tackle him and break his legs."

Announcers

NORTH: Neutral and paid.
SOUTH: Announcer harmonizes with the crowd in the fight song, with tear in his eye because he is so proud of his team.

After the Game

NORTH: The stadium is empty way before the game ends.
SOUTH: Another rack of ribs goes on the smoker, while somebody goes to the nearest package store for more bourbon, and planning begins for next week's game.

Rudy Guliani : I've heard that name before. He wasn't the dude who made the practice team, and finally got put in the game 4 years later with all the crowd chanting his name was he? I saw that movie. I think "Rudy" was the name of it as a matter of fact. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I attended the University of Arkansas -
I had spent my childhood in the shadow of the University of Nebraska
I thought that Husker fans were nuts until I arrived in Fayetteville.
There I learned what a true fan is...
this is the most accurate picture I've ever seen of a Razorback football game.

Memories - :shock: - Memories! :D :D

cypressfarms":1a4lmz8u said:
Good post Cowgirl

I'm an LSU alumni

and I'd give my right arm for us to beat Auburn saturday!

Your on! I will only bet my left one though!

War Eagle!

Great post. We try to get to Knoxville early enough to see the Volunteer Navy arrive at the stadium. A grand sight indeed. GO VOLS!!!

Karl":8wnkm1bn said:
You guys have never been to Nebraska I take it

Speaking of Nebraska. I sure hope you guys can bust the Trojans chops this year. With all the controversy going on this morning you might have caught them on a good week.

Go Huskers! Against USC anyway. :lol:

A guy moved down here from Ohio to work at this plant. We were discussing football and he said its the same in Ohio. They have the same feelings about it as we have here. Several months went by and football season approached. Cars in the parking lot had large signs. Peoples workstations had large signs. The intercom was wild with all the rrrrroooooooooolllll tides and wwwaaaaarrrr eagles all night. Just the normal stuff. After the first game that same guy apprroached me and said "Hey I owe you an apology" I asked what for. He said "you remember me saying football season was the same up north as it is here, well I ain't never saw anything like this"

Tod, I had always heard that High school football was huge in Texas but never realized how big until now.

Wonder how many folks that stadium holds?

MikeC":392b0fse said:
Tod, I had always heard that High school football was huge in Texas but never realized how big until now.

When some of these little towns go to state play-offs, they hang a sign at the City Limits, "Last one out please turn out the lights." It is literally almost that bad. The whole community backs the kids.

If you go, take some ear plugs. Those old propane tanks full of steel balls make a lot of racket. When there are 500 to a 1000 of them shook with frenzy in the stands, you will wish you had shooting muffs on.

A friend of mine works for a constuction outfit out of Austin that builds athletic fields. Their specialty is the drainage systems but they usually contract the whole job. They're starting one in Jourdanton. I gaurantee the cost is more then the entire budget for all the law enforcemnt agencies in Atascosa county. Another friend of ours that lives there said the bond issue passed the voters at like 9-1. They can get along without cops. They can't live without high school football.Z

MikeC":2k9n78xb said:

11,500. Belton is another local school with capacity of 9,000 and artificial turf. My home town has a population of a 1,000 and seating capacity of 1,200. ;-)

I used to think all the hurah over public school football was dumb...that is until my grandson played his first game Thursday night...seventh grade. His team lost, but oh my he was fun to watch. I'm gonna love this stuff!

Alice

Pics of some local Texas high school stadiums.

berry_stadium.jpg

pridgen_STADIUM.jpg

rhodes_stadium.jpg

;-)