Southern folks...

Help Support CattleToday:

This Yankee born, adopted Southerner loves grits.... but prefer not having cheese on them... also love Pon Hoss or Scrapple... according to where you live... not considered a yankee food either.
I think that is the same thing that my family called liver puddin
I've come in one of grandmothers kitchens and found a hog head in the sink when's she was making souse.
My other grandmother made chittlins, wasn't much to go to waste on a hog.
Cracklins, my mother would make cracklin cornbread.

And real cornbread has no sugar in it.
Plenty of sugar in the corn already and cornmeal is not the same as cornbread mix.
The mixes is where so many get extra sweet cornbread, which also has too much flour, making it more or less a corn flavored cake.
This is the same ilk that puts beans in chili.

BUTTER, brown sugar, AND milk... but just a little. YUM!

Grits? This southern boy can do without them. But I'll take all the okra, black eyed peas, and cornbread you can dish up.

And real cornbread has no sugar in it.
Love black eyed peas and okra. To get me to eat it, grandma's cornbread had to have a little sugar in it - not much - just a little. Oh, and a tad in the turnip greens as well.

Plenty of sugar in the corn already and cornmeal is not the same as cornbread mix.
The mixes is where so many get extra sweet cornbread, which also has too much flour, making it more or less a corn flavored cake.
This is the same ilk that puts beans in chili.
Chili - no beans! It's not chili any more with beans.

Love black eyed peas and okra. To get me to eat it, grandma's cornbread had to have a little sugar in it - not much - just a little. Oh, and a tad in the turnip greens as well.
LOL... NO SUGAR!!!

Any sugar cuts the salted butter you should be using on it and makes it meh. No sugar, ever.

Good okra, is sweet too and I've eaten it raw right off the stalk before.
(will NOT eat the slimy boiled okra tho. I even parch it slightly under the broiler before adding it to gumbo. That takes the sliminess out of it)

This is real simple you eat it how you like it. Goes back to your raising.
Pone of hot water cornbread with a slab of butter and a tablespoon of ribbon cane was super a many time growing up.

Corona ranks right in there with Budweiser...

I happen to like Budweiser, as long as it's in a glass bottle. For that matter, if beer only came in cans I'd probably quit drinking it.

Speaking of cheese, who enjoys Cheesey Grits? Or, maybe I should ask who likes Grits?

I like them if they're fixed right.

This Yankee born, adopted Southerner loves grits.... but prefer not having cheese on them... also love Pon Hoss or Scrapple... according to where you live... not considered a yankee food either.

That may be what I've heard referred to as hog head cheese. I like it if it's well made. I bought some stuff last week that was labeled hog head cheese, but it's pretty bad. It's just random chunks of pork in gel, with very little taste

I definitely didn't grow up eating it. When I was growing up the hog head was used for blood sausage.

I don't mind oatmeal as long as there is enough sugar, but I don't think I would like grits. I never tried them and have no plans to. The only experience I have with grits is the flowing.

When dad worked for Warren Livestock back in the 60's a cook tried to serve grits to all the cowboys; that just ticked them off, and they all went to town for breakfast and charged it to the company. I don't think that cook lasted long; I am not sure, but he might have been one of many cooks that committed suicide. They all said they were the head chef at the Brown Palace in Denver.

How do all y'all handle pronouncing these?

Quinoa - a grain
Cacao - source of chocolate
Gyro - greek sandwich
Boullion - soup cubes
Ciabatta - a type of Italian bread
Gnocchi - another Italian food item
Sherbet - a shirttail cousin to ice cream
Pho - Vietnamese broth with noodles and meat ect.
okay, that's not even a fair question Pho is pronounced FUN - go figure

How do all y'all handle pronouncing these?

Quinoa - a grain
Cacao - source of chocolate
Gyro - greek sandwich
Boullion - soup cubes
Ciabatta - a type of Italian bread
Gnocchi - another Italian food item
Sherbet - a shirttail cousin to ice cream
Pho - Vietnamese broth with noodles and meat ect.
okay, that's not even a fair question Pho is pronounced FUN - go figure

I happen to like Budweiser, as long as it's in a glass bottle. For that matter, if beer only came in cans I'd probably quit drinking it.
Pour your canned beer into a Styrofoam cup and you can't taste or smell the can anymore, then you can pretend like it's draft!