Southern folks...

Help Support CattleToday:

Agreed. I wasn't considering grocery store cheese as real cheese.

It's like beer. I like a quality beer from a small micro-brewery.
A few years ago, my Air Force son came home to visit and brought a box of Corona. I drank it because it was the polite thing to do.
After a couple days of this free beer I noticed my wrist were limp and I was squatting to pee, so I gave it up.

Some years ago I decided to try a Corona to see what the big deal was. I drank two swallows and poured the rest out. It's what my sister eloquently describes as "rat pi** beer."

Some years ago I decided to try a Corona to see what the big deal was. I drank two swallows and poured the rest out. It's what my sister eloquently describes as "rat pi** beer."
I've never understood the fascination with it. When I was younger, we just called it IPR (instant panty remover), but then the girly men started drinking it.

in South Lousiana. It could also have been rougaru or tai-ti, depending what kind of boogeyman it was. put a gree gree on ya.
Voodoo is alive and well in "Nawlins." That's for sure. Cajuns believe in the Rougaru - lives in the swamps. I don't doubt there's some truth to their tales. Makes for a great campfire tale.

Speaking of cheese, who enjoys Cheesey Grits? Or, maybe I should ask who likes Grits?
I like grits, with a lot of butter. Sometimes, I'll put some cheese in them.
Grits casserole is fairly common around here at potlucks and holiday dinners.
My wife won't eat them though.

I like grits, with a lot of butter. Sometimes, I'll put some cheese in them.
Grits casserole is fairly common around here at potlucks and holiday dinners.
My wife won't eat them though.
I grew up with a grandmother that served them at every breakfast. I'd say it's an aquired taste, but one I love.

I grew up with a grandmother that served them at every breakfast. I'd say it's an aquired taste, but one I love.
Growing up, we had them fairly often, just with salt and butter. I grew up eating pretty much what was put before me, exception being raw onions and celery.
Now I'm eating low sodium, and gluten free, which limits me. Grits are gluten free so that's one thing I can eat.

Speaking of cheese, who enjoys Cheesey Grits? Or, maybe I should ask who likes Grits?
Last time we ate any grits, was a few years ago. We traveled to Eastern Oklahoma to visit some distant family. Guess they eat more grits than taters.
They were nothing to write home about.

Perhaps cheese would've been an improvement

Last time we ate any grits, was a few years ago. We traveled to Eastern Oklahoma to visit some distant family. Guess they eat more grits than taters.
They were nothing to write home about.

Perhaps cheese would've been an improvement
Butter and salt with a side of toast and I'm good. I think oatmeal tastes bland too. Honey and butter help it as well. Husband puts milk and sugar on his Oatmeal. Yuk

grits and oatmeal both are bland and need some doctorin' up to be palatable. I eat way more oatmeal than I care for but it's on the list of 'good stuff' for my heart and diabetes.
Cheesy grits?
uh.. no.

I'm in the camp of others above. Cheese, like good chocolate stands on it's own merit..alone.
With Mexican food being an exception.

Last edited:
Grits , spread thin, fried hot with a little brown sugar until they turn a glassy coppery color.
Put some in a zip lock and carry them in the pickup. Only do it when the wife is out of pocket
and I can smoke up the kitchen with the Griswold skillet.

Butter and salt with a side of toast and I'm good. I think oatmeal tastes bland too. Honey and butter help it as well. Husband puts milk and sugar on his Oatmeal. Yuk
BUTTER, brown sugar, AND milk... but just a little. YUM!

Grits? This southern boy can do without them. But I'll take all the okra, black eyed peas, and cornbread you can dish up.

And real cornbread has no sugar in it.

Don't forget the greens, mustard, collards, turnip, and turnips themselves. I try to plant those for fall ever year.
Wife will eat the greens but not the turnips.
Cushaw cooked with cream and brown sugar, or cushaw pie.
Burnt sugar pie, the best caramel pie ever, an old mountain recipe.

This Yankee born, adopted Southerner loves grits.... but prefer not having cheese on them... also love Pon Hoss or Scrapple... according to where you live... not considered a yankee food either.

Cream of wheat cereal is bland but I use real maple syrup on it... seldom bother with the milk. Same with oatmeal... maple syrup or honey. Fried okra is okay, not a big cooked greens fan but we never had it growing up... Like"brown beans" but can't do raw onions... they don't like me. Sauteed are fine , onion rings... and I will say I love "Boston baked beans" and make a pretty good pot of them.

Latest posts