Southern folks...

Help Support CattleToday:

A few years ago I used the word haint in a book I was writing. My story was set in the Louisiana during the Civil War. My editor tried to explain how most people wouldn't understand the word and could loose interest. I suggested a glossary for clarication and the term haint remained. I love a good ghost story. đź‘»
Did you include the imps?

My wife and I drove through Cut & Shoot when we went to Florida last winter.
Cut & Shoot ain't what it was when I was young. Nowadays famous for flea markets and speed trap but back in the day, it was wall to wall beer joints. Booze and hookers and gambling OH MY!
History has a pretty placid explaation for the name but
CUT the cards, SHOOT the dice was an accurate description of it back then.
Didn't take me long to figure out why pulpwood haulers always looked so poor. Worked all day in the woods and every night the beer joint parking lots (mostly deep rutted dirt) were full of those raggedy ass short wood pulp trucks spending most of what they got from the mill that day

A few years ago I used the word haint in a book I was writing. My story was set in the Louisiana during the Civil War. My editor tried to explain how most people wouldn't understand the word and could loose interest. I suggested a glossary for clarication and the term haint remained. I love a good ghost story. đź‘»
The older people that I was around as a child always referenced haints. My father had a sayin for something that was fast as runnin fastern a scared haint.
My great uncle used to tell all the time that they had a haint in the house.

How far is that from Hog Scald, Arkansas?
So is Hog Scald AR close to Toad Suck AR.
Funny story, wife and I were just married and had been to Oklahoma, to visit her family. On the way back, I was driving through Arkansas and she was almost asleep, and apparently I excited said Toad Suck Park after reading a sign. Woke her up and she wasn't to happy about that.

When talking about an underpowered truck or tractor, or lacking traction, he'd say "that thing wouldn't pull a greasy string out of cats azz".

The older people that I was around as a child always referenced haints. My father had a sayin for something that was fast as runnin fastern a scared haint.
My great uncle used to tell all the time that they had a haint in the house.
when ur walking outdoors and hit a cooler spot they use to say there's a haint there.

Y'all ain't got a clue . I live in Pisgah , if you know your Bible you'll know . I really live in Blow Gourd , which is just a rock throw from Lizard Lope . Up hway 71 is Rosalie and the next little community is Flat Rock . I have kin folks that live in Smut Eye which is down the road from Perote. Sweet tea , grits , fried okra , fried chicken 🍗, fried taters , heck I know folks who fry Oreos ! And I forgot my favorite snack : boiled peanuts 🥜
That is the truth! Except you forgot corn bread (corn pone), green beans cooked in lard, and Mr. TC likes raw peanuts. How 'bout homemade "recipe"? You know, for medicinal purposes - except it tastes like Mogen David:sick:

I pretty much survive on granola bars when we're there. And we smuggle in beer & wine.

Arkansas has some different ones for sure . Bald Knob , Marked Tree , Pocahontas
How bout Possum Trot. All the strange ones are up nawth in the yankee part of Arkansas. Something in the water up there.
We are normal here, south of the river. Can't count how many hippies have stolen the signs from along Highway 71 just north of here; Needmore and Boles are the blink-n-miss-them communities. Half their annual budget is replacing the signs.

That is the truth! Except you forgot corn bread (corn pone), green beans cooked in lard, and Mr. TC likes raw peanuts. How 'bout homemade "recipe"? You know, for medicinal purposes - except it tastes like Mogen David:sick:

I pretty much survive on granola bars when we're there. And we smuggle in beer & wine.
Oh my, corn pone pie! My wife makes it with some larapin chili layered in. Heavenly!

Good cheese stands on its own merits. Grocery store cheese goes in recipes.
Agreed. I wasn't considering grocery store cheese as real cheese.

It's like beer. I like a quality beer from a small micro-brewery.
A few years ago, my Air Force son came home to visit and brought a box of Corona. I drank it because it was the polite thing to do.
After a couple days of this free beer I noticed my wrist were limp and I was squatting to pee, so I gave it up.

Not as "dry" as it use to be , but sometimes it's smart to bring your own . My neighbor was a deacon at my church but mixed Jack , honey and lemon for cough syrup. Called me one night to see if I could go to the ABC store and get him a fifth. Neighbors always help neighbors in the south.

Latest posts