Southern Excellence Bull Development and Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We delivered our first group of calves to today to Whelan Farms in Wadley Alabama, home of the Southern Excellence Bull Development and sale. This will be the forth year for this sale, and the first year that Angus have been included in the sale. We delivered five calves that we feel will be a good representation of our program, they are:

Gizmo CC7 C2 324 327 https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPed...zdmuFeSPVw/lgL0fl7HuHSeaa/w9IgfZAlnG0WKBwkw==
This is a calf out of a first calf heifer that we purchased from Bannister Farms in the 2014 Southeast Classic sale. The heifer did an excellent job on this her first calf, he had an actual birth weight of 74 pounds and a adjusted weaning weight of 623 pounds the cow bred back AI the first run through the chute she is a really nice young cow.

Gizmo Pioneer C17 1120 7301 https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPed...K3/3ab7Z2L3mdMmI2vCyOlCE5iPDwMAzDFAC8UN+qLw== This young bull is a SAV Pioneer son out of a daughter of our donor 0709. .He had an actual birth weight of 74 pounds with an adjusted weaning of 680

Gizmo EXT C21 0524 6149 I don't have registration information on this calf yet we are still waiting for DNA to come back. My oops I failed to get DNA on the donor cow, DNA came back as sire confirmed but dam no record on file, since the bull was dead when we flushed the cow the only way the calf is out of 6149 is if he is an ET calf so I have no worries about the results. We have four calves out of this mating and they are all like peas in a pod. We couldn't be more excited about how this flush worked! This calf had an actual birth weight of 80 with an adjusted weaning of 616 pounds. We are sending one of C21's flush brothers to the Florida Bull test the other we are keeping here on the farm to watch his development.

Gizmo Charlo C32 744P 0256 https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPed...VMaO8GrSkRCwlpShDLCc6s2LmKdJcUU3DhyWWSHO9qw== This calf is an ET purchased from Coleman Angus in Montana, so far we like what were seeing with the Charlo calves. This calf had an actual birth weight of 78 pounds with an adjusted weaning of 642.

Giz Rainmaker C41 7009 6169 https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPed...U6I6foDy8i6Rn2xI4shRx77bQ1tbw34uah4TN8o5qlw== Another ET calf out of the Coleman program in Montana. We kept a flush brother at the farm that we plan to use this coming breeding season. This calf had an actual birth weight of 90 with an adjusted weaning of 694.

We were amazed when traveling to deliver these calves on how dry it was in central Alabama. I sure hope they get some rain soon. On the way home we ran into rain and saw one of the most amazing rainbows I have ever seen!

Hopefully the rainbow was a good omen that central Alabama would get rain soon!

gizmom

We received the first 31 day report on the calves we delivered to the Southern Excellence development program. Rick and his wife Lisa sure do a great job with the bulls. Here is a break down of the five we delivered.

C2 738 920 182 6.28
C17 808 916 108 3.72
C21 796 964 168 5.79
C32 778 940 162 5.59
C41 804 938 134 4.62

The the first weight is the delivery weight, which you have to realize that shrink was involved we had hauled in the June heat for 4 hours. The second weight is the weight taken on 7/29 the next figure is the amount of weight gained during that weigh period and the last number is the ADG for each calf. Again keep in mind that they had shrunk a bit so the next weight taken the ADG could adjust a bit. We weighed the calves prior to delivery some lost just 20 to 30 pounds while one lost almost 100 pounds during shipment. It was the first trailer ride for the calves and its apparent that some get more stressed over it than others.

gizmom

TG

Since I am the one that wrote the start weights down, I would say your probably right, I agree 100 pounds doesn't seem right on the one calf but it's what I wrote down so it's what we're going by. The important weight is what they weigh after the first 28 days and I am really pleased with how they are doing. I sure wish we could send you folks in Georgia some of the rain were getting. So far we have been able to get one cutting of hay, second cutting was ready in June but we are getting rain every day with no window of opportunity in sight. I refuse to complain about the rain after living through a drought I would much rather have the rain, we just may have to feed standing hay instead of rolled hay this year.
Gizmom

gizmom":gihjho4k said:
TG

Since I am the one that wrote the start weights down, I would say your probably right, I agree 100 pounds doesn't seem right on the one calf but it's what I wrote down so it's what we're going by. The important weight is what they weigh after the first 28 days and I am really pleased with how they are doing. I sure wish we could send you folks in Georgia some of the rain were getting. So far we have been able to get one cutting of hay, second cutting was ready in June but we are getting rain every day with no window of opportunity in sight. I refuse to complain about the rain after living through a drought I would much rather have the rain, we just may have to feed standing hay instead of rolled hay this year.
Gizmom

Would you please let us know how the feeding of stockpiled hay works out. We tried it when we first started out and the cows wouldn't hardly eat it. But fertility could of been a big issue.

I dont think that 100lbs is that out of the realm of possibility. Our bulls routinely lost 60 lbs on the trip to Cullman. 60 plus pounds and the scales being alittle off, 100 pounds becomes possible. I hope they continue to grow and develop.

One year at Cullman the average 28 day gain for all the Angus bulls was over 6 pounds a day.. Some gained over 7.

TG

We have used standing hay in the past. I am not a huge fan because they don't seem to eat it as well as rolled hay. But you leave them on it and they are going to eat it when they get hungry. Our hay quality is going to be horrible this year just fill at this point. We have two days this week that are giving us a very short window of opportunity to get some cut. Needless to say we are going to put some on the ground and pray we can get it up. On top of that we now have a hurricane brewing, still watching it the models are all over the place but if it heads this way we sure won't be drying up anytime soon. I pray this storm doesn't come into the Gulf I don't know what would happen if a storm hit LA right now.

We should be getting another update on gains on the Southern Excellence bulls in a week or so. I will post the information when I receive it. I am watching the C41 calf pretty close we have a flush brother C37 here at the house that is sure looking sporty. I have decided to use C37 as a clean up bull this breeding season.

gizmom

Just got the latest update on the Gizmo bulls at the Southern Excellence Bull Development.

They weigh the bulls every 28 days so the past 28 days they have done:

C2 - Weight 1020 gain 100 ADG 3.57

C17 - Weight 980 gain 64 ADG 2.29

C21 - Weight 1040 gain 76 ADG 2.71

C32 - Weight 998 gain 58 ADG 2.07

C41 - Weight 1010 gain 72 ADG 2.57

The C41 bull has two flush sisters selling in the Coleman Angus sale in October as lots 55 and 56 so it will be interesting to see how they sell. We are planning to use his flush brother C37 natural service at the farm this season. I am thinking about keeping the flush brother C30 to the C21 bull to use as well. To be honest I am having a tough time picking between the two, one day I think C37 the next time I look at them its C30 there are a lot of differences in the two bulls but both are really good. The C37 is longer with a longer hip the C30 is smoother with more depth and width. But then they are both really deep with lots of muscle one of those nice kind of problems to have.

gizmom

I received photos of four of the bull calves we have in the Southern Excellence sale this morning. These photos were taken last week. These bulls will sell on November 19th. I am still waiting on a photo of Lot 58 our C2 calf I will post it as soon as I get it.

The first photo is Lot 61 he is a S A V Pioneer out of a Sinclair Rito 9R9 daughter

The second photo is Lot 62 he is a Coleman EXT 6149 X S A V Blackcap May 0524

The third photo is Lot 63 he is a Coleman Charlo 0256 X OCC Dixie Erica 744P

The last photo is Lot 64 he is a Sitz Rainmaker 6169 X Chloe Juanada 7009 we have his flush brother here at the farm and plan to use him this coming breeding season. He has two flush sisters selling in the Coleman sale in October as lots 55 and 56.

Ok go ahead and pick them apart.

gizmom

gizmom":h0s5witx said:
I received photos of four of the bull calves we have in the Southern Excellence sale this morning. These photos were taken last week. These bulls will sell on November 19th. I am still waiting on a photo of Lot 58 our C2 calf I will post it as soon as I get it.

The first photo is Lot 61 he is a S A V Pioneer out of a Sinclair Rito 9R9 daughter

The second photo is Lot 62 he is a Coleman EXT 6149 X S A V Blackcap May 0524

The third photo is Lot 63 he is a Coleman Charlo 0256 X OCC Dixie Erica 744P

The last photo is Lot 64 he is a Sitz Rainmaker 6169 X Chloe Juanada 7009 we have his flush brother here at the farm and plan to use him this coming breeding season. He has two flush sisters selling in the Coleman sale in October as lots 55 and 56.

Ok go ahead and pick them apart.

gizmom

You have a nice set. I really like the last two. They are my type.

Thanks elkwc

We got home from checking calves this afternoon and Rick had sent us the picture of our Lot 58 our C2 calf. This young calf is out of a first calf heifer that I really like a lot, she just had her second calf out of Recharge he is going to be a stud as well.

Gizmom

They are looking good! I think I like the Lot 63 the best, but the more I scroll up and look the more I like the Lot 58 too. Pretty much all winter/spring calving here so it's a little different looking at yearlings that are slicked off. I don't mean that in a negative way - I'm just used to looking at yearlings with their winter coat on.

Thanks Backbone

I like him as well I am actually having a hard time picking a favorite between lots 58, 63 and 64. I may need to see the videos in order to pick my favorite. We had a full sister to the lot 63 born yesterday so I am pretty tickled about that as well.

Gizmom

gizmom":f1dcg46z said:
Thanks Backbone

I like him as well I am actually having a hard time picking a favorite between lots 58, 63 and 64. I may need to see the videos in order to pick my favorite. We had a full sister to the lot 63 born yesterday so I am pretty tickled about that as well.

Gizmom
That would be my top 3 also. Without a video or seeing them hard to pick a favorite but if I did it would be 63.

I don't know about the rest of you but I love looking at videos of sale cattle! Here are a few of the lots in the up coming Southern Excellence sale. For more details on each bull you can go to the web site http://www.whelanfarms.com/sales.html
Lot 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXGbKrszLqE
Lot 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiep6SYrAiI
Lot 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya6LuYxkeEI
Lot 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIW7TvcWgWw

I don't know Simmy genetics I just look at the videos and find the ones I like. I feel they have some really nice young bulls offered in this sale.

gizmom

The sale catalog is out for the Southern Excellence Bull Development Sale. I have provided a link. We spent a couple of days with Rick at the Sunbelt Ag Expo promoting the sale. He had a couple of the bulls that will be in the sale on display and they were sure good ones. You Simmy folks will know more about these bulls as far a pedigrees than I do. I can tell you the five Angus bulls we have in the sale are all pretty sporty calves. If you get a chance they are having an open house at the farm on November 5th prior to the sale on the 19th. This will give folks an opportunity to preview the bulls without pressure of sale day. Rick and his herdsman Jason will be available from noon to dusk to answer any questions you have have on any of the bulls.

Please consider this your invitation to the open house and the sale!

http://www.whelanfarms.com/pdf/2016/Sou ... og%202.pdf

gizmom

Latest posts