Southern Balancer

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
960 Lbs at 12 months, 36 cm, passed a bse.

Don't show it much, but he is half brangus. Had his first bite of grain Feb 1st.

He's the stereotypical homegrown bull, but I'm going to put him on some young cows for their second, and 3rd calf.

Is he beautiful? Naw, not really. He just speaks to me for some reason. Mostly want some big black calves to sell next fall.

Bigfoot, he's actually a pretty good looking bull. He's better than a lot of them posted on the web. My main concern would be a lack of growth....I'm not familiar with your program, but for me his YW would not cut it. I would suggest trimming off his navel hair though. Long hair on the navel can turn into a hair ring on his business really easy, similar to what can happen to a child's finger with a human hair that goes unnoticed....

Looks ok to me. I saw some Brangus x Gelbvieh bulls for sale on craigslist the other day, I thought as individuals they looked pretty good in comparison to some I see advertised.

midTN_Brangusman":ydrb43rx said:
Should give you some decent black calves. Not a bad yw for not being on feed imo.

I knew I would catch a little flack on his YW. He's been grass or hay since birth. I wish it was a little higher, but its not. IMHO all weights can be influenced through feed, but supplemented nutrition isn't going to change his genetics. Pushing a cow with some feed at different times of the year, could help the calf. That logic doesn't translate to a bull for me though. His scrotum was good for his age.

Nice, yep seen several looking like that. My Gelb over Beefmasters, gave me that same type looking animal. Glad to see someone else breeding Southern Balancers as well.

What size frame is his sire? I went with a smaller frame to start to make replacements for myself. I am planning on a 4 breeding season run then switching to a red Gelb.

thommoos":37ar77jr said:
Nice, yep seen several looking like that. My Gelb over Beefmasters, gave me that same type looking animal. Glad to see someone else breeding Southern Balancers as well.

What size frame is his sire? I went with a smaller frame to start to make replacements for myself. I am planning on a 4 breeding season run then switching to a red Gelb.

Ashamed to say I know nothing about frame size (other than what I see posted here). 1850 pounds while wearing his work clothes is all I can tell you.

I think the interesting thing about this post is take a good look at the picture. That calf has a Brangus mother (3/8 Brahman). Does that calf have TOO MUCH ear and navel to not sell well in your area?

He is by far the best looking southern balancer I've seen. I tried the cross a few times and might have stuck with it if I'd have seen anything like him out of it. Not to say he's fantastic but the best of that cross that I've seen. He would be a completely different animal on feed but I'd say he looks great for what he's been getting. What kind of cows is he going to run on?

BC":1uxd49g0 said:
I think the interesting thing about this post is take a good look at the picture. That calf has a Brangus mother (3/8 Brahman). Does that calf have TOO MUCH ear and navel to not sell well in your area?

THANK YOU, I REST MY CASE :clap: :clap:

I cant tell you how many locals have told me the wanted one of my brangus bulls but didn't want to take the hit at the sale barn.

cow pollinater":3frh7wak said:
He is by far the best looking southern balancer I've seen. I tried the cross a few times and might have stuck with it if I'd have seen anything like him out of it. Not to say he's fantastic but the best of that cross that I've seen. He would be a completely different animal on feed but I'd say he looks great for what he's been getting. What kind of cows is he going to run on?

Ultra blacks and brangus. A sprinkling of baldies.

He'll knock the socks off of the baldies. Gelbvieh on hereford is as good as it gets for heterosis without adding ears and he does that to. :D

cow pollinater":2avp9t3a said:
He'll knock the socks off of the baldies. Gelbvieh on hereford is as good as it gets for heterosis without adding ears and he does that to. :D

He'll be covering this little group girls after they calve. I'm actually thinking there may be too much in the wood pile. Calves will have like 5 breeds in them.

Bigfoot":34ebw7pt said:
midTN_Brangusman":34ebw7pt said:
Should give you some decent black calves. Not a bad yw for not being on feed imo.

I knew I would catch a little flack on his YW. He's been grass or hay since birth. I wish it was a little higher, but its not. IMHO all weights can be influenced through feed, but supplemented nutrition isn't going to change his genetics. Pushing a cow with some feed at different times of the year, could help the calf. That logic doesn't translate to a bull for me though. His scrotum was good for his age.

I would think that 960 lbs. would be on par, in this area for a yearling that hasn't had supplemental feed until recently. To me he looks like a pretty good bull.

Looks like a real nice yearling bull, very deep bodied. For no feed I'd say that's a good weight. Looking forward to more pics in a year to see how he develops.

BC":872ol5rw said:
Nope he'd sell as good as any, and better than most

Latest posts