Southeast Classic Sale Catalog

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Mark you Calendar for the upcoming Southeast Angus Classic Sale May 19th in Opelika, Alabama. Gizmo Angus has lot 39 -41. We have dug deep into our program to bring some of our very best. Lot 40 a bred heifer out of our Donor SAV Blackcap May 0524 sired by Resource and bred to Charlo!!! Lot 41 another heifer bred to Charlo that is a granddaughter of VDAR Elluna 97 sired by Boyd New Day 8005. Lot 39 and 39A is our offering in the cow calf category a Resource daughter out of a Pathfinder cow with a Coleman Charlo bull calf at side that is a stud. Sale will be live on DV Auction. Contact us if you need any additional information on any of our lots.

http://www.angusjournal.com/salebooks/s ... pi/#page/1

Mark and Jacob got some clipping done this week on the cattle we have consigned to the Southeast Classic. The Charlo out of the Resource cow looks really good.

The calf has been DNA tested and weaning weight done this week. I have not yet submitted weights just haven't got all the data entered as yet.

https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... An8w%3d%3d

This phot was snapped before clipping, the calf and his dam were standing up on the dam took this one on my cell phone.

This calf should make someone a herd bull.

gizmom

Was wondering by breeding Charlo to Resource daughters do you become concerned with maternal calving ease?

W.B.

Thw answer to your question is no, I have no concerns about maternal calving ease with this mating. We have used both Resource and Charlo in our program for the last several years. The Resource calves have averaged in the mid 70's on birth weight. We have used Charlo on heifers with no issues. The calf pictured has a bw EPD of -5 with a ced of +9. So now I have to ask why would you be worried about maternal calving ease? Am I missing something?

Gizmom

My concern would be stacking bulls with low maternal calving ease. The resulting daughters having small pelvises. Maternal calving ease is a selection criteria for me. Charlo in particular seems to be trending in the wrong direction for maternal calving ease.

It is a good rule of thumb not to go below 8 to 10 in this environment. Our calves of same genetics will be quite a bit larger at birth than Florida.

We are a commercial operation so we don't weigh calves but I would guess avg on cows is around 85. We need a cow that can have a 100 lb calf with little or no trouble if need be. Some outfits that crossbreed will have calves that are a little larger so maternal calving ease is important. Too small calves are not good either as they don't take cold weather. In general I like the consistency that Angus bulls sire and have not found it with other breeds. We are going to pelvic measure our yearling heifers this year to throw out any outliers on the small side. I like being on the safe side of things.

W.B.

One of the reasons I enjoy this forum is this type of conversation. Like I said I had not looked at the maternal calving ease number, but will in the future. I have found listening to the commercial producer is the best way to improve. Many years ago I had a conversation with another commercial producer, he told me "I really like your bulls but they don't have a big enough SC measurement for me." That made me realize it was not a trait I had been looking at, this was also when Precision was hot. Precision had a small SC so I stayed away from him it probably save us from having to cull a whole lot of carrier cattle from our herd. I appreciate your input.

Gizmom

Gizmon, how did you get on with that nice Charlo bull you were selling in that bull test sale a month or two ago? I must have missed the result.

Ken

W.B.":3c0hhnn2 said:
We are a commercial operation so we don't weigh calves but I would guess avg on cows is around 85. We need a cow that can have a 100 lb calf with little or no trouble if need be. Some outfits that crossbreed will have calves that are a little larger so maternal calving ease is important. Too small calves are not good either as they don't take cold weather. In general I like the consistency that Angus bulls sire and have not found it with other breeds. We are going to pelvic measure our yearling heifers this year to throw out any outliers on the small side. I like being on the safe side of things.

WB we are commercial breedes and I like to buy bulls with an actual BW in the mid 80's. I feel to many especially Angus and Herefords has chased the low BW too far. The bull I purchased recently many said the problem was his actual BW was 85 lbs. I feel that is one reason we got him bought so reasonably. On mature cows his BW don't worry me and I don't pay any attention to CE or MCE. If a mature cow can't have a 90 lb or even a 95 lb calf I need to cull her anyway. I do like to shoot for a calf in the mid to upper 80's on mature cows. The low BW calves in the end cost us too much when we sell. Most will never catch the bigger calf that has good growth to him. At least this has been our experience.

Elk

We didn't run any of the bulls we had on test through the sale, the Recharge and Resource calves came home to be used in our herd. The Charlo calf was sold to a good friend.

Gizmom

Very impressive pair Gizmom! That bull should definitely make a nice herd bull for someone. I have always liked the looks of Resource.

Gizmo, nice cattle! I'm not familiar with the angus EPDs, but one thing I'm looking to add to both my Sim herd and my commercial limos is milk and size moderation, without putting heifers in jeopardy. How does this Charlo calf compare in regards to EPDs? I'm using my PB Simmental bull for his final year, and looking to move to either a simangus or angus bull for a few years. I'm also in FL (approx 1 hr east of Sarasota). Thanks

Gator

https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... uywA%3d%3d

I would say this bull would do both, he is going to be moderate and should add milk. His Pathfinder grand dam 525 is still working in our herd she bred back this year AI at 13 years old. We used a bull out of a maternal sister to B65 that is also a Pathfinder cow 811 this year sired by Recharge that is really good. This calf is out of a very productive cow family. The B65 cow out of Resource is going to make someone a super good cow. We plan to flush the 811 cow this year. The epd's on the calf are enhanced by dna data.

Gizmom

Snapped a few more photos of the sale cattle today, it is just a beautiful day to be outside for sure.

This is the B65 cow she has a Charlo bull calf at side. Her dam and maternal sister are both Pathfinder cows.

This is B65's maternal sister 811 she is a Pathfinder cow that just does a great job for us.

The boss cow of our herd 525 the dam of B65, she is a good one.

This is D47 a New Day out of our Elluna cow she is going to make a nice cow.

This is D46 a SAV Blackcap May 0524 X SAV Resource 1441 bred heifer. She is the kind to build a herd around.

gizmom

More nice cattle. Need to post some pics of the Rito bull sometime

Gizmom, you mentioned that there would be someone to haul cattle from the SE Classic Sale. I looked on the website, but I didn't see any information regarding this... Do you have any info? More than likely, I won't be able to make it to Alabama on the 19th, so I'm trying to figure stuff out before it's two seconds before the start of the sale. I'm not really sure about online bidding. Never done that stuff in the past, but I've never really been afraid to venture out into the unknown... :)

Latest posts