Southeast Angus Classic

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We were invited to consign to this sale for the first time this year. The sale is May 18th at noon. The sale is located at Lawler Farms in Opelika, Alabama. The two cows we selected are:

Gizmo Pride 717 314 4132 and her heifer calf Gizmo Pride 1223 717 430 a 10/04/12 heifer out of Coleman Midland 430. The 717 cow was named a Pathfinder in this years Angus Pathfinder report which I guess to many doesn't mean alot but I am really proud of it.

We have used the Coleman Midland bull for several years and really like the calves we have out of him.

In addition to the 717 cow we have consigned a young cow Gizmo Stephanie 927 107 6595. She has a heifer calf on her side out of Boyd New Day 8005 this cow is bred for maternal excellence.

The 927 cow has a heifer calf out of Boyd New Day 8005 on her side, this is a young calf that should make someone a cow.

[/URL

really like that New Day heifer calf, but then again I've always been a fan of New Day :) I'm assuming by the name that her dam is an Alliance 6595 daughter? Nice cow but like many of the T-71/8180 descendants she is a little shallow heeled for me, the daughter doesn't appear to be that way though. Good luck with the sale, hope it goes well for you.

I can't speak for Robert, but for me shallow heel would mean that the width or length of the heal from the foot to the ground is shorter, this tends to make the cow or bull walk back on the heel. A deep heel can also get to be to deep throwing the weigh onto the toe of the animal. Heel depth is important in selection, however it varies like the three bears what is just right for one person is shallow or deep foranother it is a very fine line. I have really liked the mating of the 107 cow to 6595 it has worked really well for us. I have one full sister working in the herd and like her a bunch, she has a bull calf on her side by Missing Link that is going to make a herd bull. I sold another full sister as a bred heifer and the new owners are really liking her. I have used Boyd New Day a bunch as well, we have flushed to him a numer of times in addition to using him regular AI. He is a bull that just does so many things right, you can't help but like him. We actually used him in a flush again this year to the A47 cow and we have several ET calves on the ground out of him and our 658 donor. So like Robert we are fans of New Day.

Gizmom

gizmom":20vl6udg said:
I can't speak for Robert, but for me shallow heel would mean that the width or length of the heal from the foot to the ground is shorter, this tends to make the cow or bull walk back on the heel. A deep heel can also get to be to deep throwing the weigh onto the toe of the animal. Heel depth is important in selection, however it varies like the three bears what is just right for one person is shallow or deep foranother it is a very fine line. I have really liked the mating of the 107 cow to 6595 it has worked really well for us. I have one full sister working in the herd and like her a bunch, she has a bull calf on her side by Missing Link that is going to make a herd bull. I sold another full sister as a bred heifer and the new owners are really liking her. I have used Boyd New Day a bunch as well, we have flushed to him a numer of times in addition to using him regular AI. He is a bull that just does so many things right, you can't help but like him. We actually used him in a flush again this year to the A47 cow and we have several ET calves on the ground out of him and our 658 donor. So like Robert we are fans of New Day.

Gizmom
ive got daughters out of a 6595 son... looks like that would lead to excessive toe growth from uneven wear

Well I didn't get to go my granddaughters shared their stomach virus with me but my husband reported the following.

Good crowd
Excellent cattle top to bottom
Rain all night Friday night and up until about 1/2 hour prior to sale so folks really couldn't get out to see the cattle prior to the sale.

Sale average 3455

Our lots

Lot 67 4000
Lot 68 3650

In case your wondering my husband isn't a big talker lol the above information was like pulling teeth. In his defense he was not feeling well at all he has a sinus infection (sounds like we're falling apart doesn't it).
If I had been there I would have had a whole lot more to say but the information would have been the same I however would have added embellishments.

Gizmom

congrats on a good sale, did the cows sell as pairs or were they split off? Can't beat a little rain to keep people out of the hay fields on sale day :)

Latest posts