South Texas Weather

Help Support CattleToday:

A6gal

Reaction score
Like they say, "wait 5 minutes and it'll change"! Yesterday the temperature here was into the 90's. By 6:30 PM it had dropped into the 60's. High winds and dark clouds moved in followed by rain and hail. It must have gone on for 45 minutes. Most hail was the size of marbles but there was some the size of baseballs. All my oaks trees are completely stripped of leaves. However, I can be thankful that the most severe damage was only to the barn bunkhouse which had two windows knocked out and rain damage to the interior. Also the barn roof and the covering over my mobile home which is heavy corrugated tin has softball sized holes in it. Home and all livestock are well and my stock tank is overflowing! I posted a few pictures in the miscellaneous section on the picture page.

Do you happen to be near Freer, TX?

I've got a friend down there that ranches, and he could sure use some rain, but I'm sure he'd pass on the damaging stuff.

Freer is a lot farther South. This system was headin' that direction. Don't know if it made it that far. I'm in Medina County. The funny thing is just a mile down the road there was no hail and very little rain. I could do without the damaging stuff, too. But if that's what it takes to get some rain, I'll take it. Sure needed it bad.