south Louisiana breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

Cajun Lady

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me from their knowledge which good beef breeds do well in south Louisiana's climate & enviroment, and would also be docile enough to handle & work around horses (so no horns)? I'm favoring angus or brangus, but I'm also considering charolais & murray grey, or a combination of one of those 2 and angus. Thanks

Cajun Lady":gbcz1ju6 said:
Can anyone tell me from their knowledge which good beef breeds do well in south Louisiana's climate & enviroment, and would also be docile enough to handle & work around horses (so no horns)? I'm favoring angus or brangus, but I'm also considering charolais & murray grey, or a combination of one of those 2 and angus. Thanks

Welcome to the board, Cajun Lady. Glad to have you with us.

When you say " handle and work around horses", do you mean work with horses, i.e. on horseback, or just have horses running in the same pasture as the cattle? I have never moved cattle on horseback, so I couldn't answer that one. I have had horses in the same pasture as the cows, and it's OK, but you had better catch the horses and put them up before trying to move the cattle. The horses will get frisky and spoil your cattle drive real quick.

As far as which breed, there are some guys on the board from down that way who would know better than I, but you really need a little ear on them that far south. Polled Beefmaster, polled Braford (5/8-3/8, not tigerstripes), or Brangus (again, 5/8-3/8 ), or Santa Gertrudis would be my suggestions.

Any breed with Brahman blood or a Brahman cross. Of course, longhorns do well there but you probably don't want the horns. :) The Brahman blood will give you the heat resistance to keep them thriving well in the humidity and heat.

Most breeds with just a shade of Brahman blood in them with plenty of Angus blood in them will fit the bill for you.
We raise Registered Angus and they will go to the shade at this time of year until fall about Mid Morning and go back out about Mid Afternoon and graze until dark or later.

As far as working with horses or around horses you have to go with Kent's recommendation.

as far as tempermant and handling braford (5/8 hereford x 3/8 brahman) are easier than brangus. anything with a little ear is go slow and easy, give them time to think and you will do better. mine (braford and brangus) load and work easy but you can't fight them because they will go the other way.

Welcome Cajun Lady,

Always good to have more people on from Louisiana. If your a real cajun lady, which I'm sure you are, you are probably from south Louisiana. In south La., there are only a handful of stockyards that sell cattle. I'm assuming that you would be running a cow/calf operation. If so, take some time and sit and watch on of your closest auctions. You will see that black calves almost always bring more money per pound.

Having said that, I would recommend a cow breed with some brahman influence (brangus, braford, simbrah, beefmaster), and cross with a bull to produce black calves. Example brangus could be crossed with hereford bulls; braford, simbrah, and beefmaster could be crossed with angus bulls. All of the above combinations would produce calves that would grow well, and be in demand (bring higher prices) at auction time.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It'll make it easier for me to decide.

But here's a bit of a dumb question maybe.
Why are most brangus 5/8-3/8? Why not half and half? And do you want your breeding stock to be 5/8-3/8 or your calves.

cypressfarms - Yes, I'm quite cajun, I live in Acadiana Parish though I'm originally from St. Mary Parish.
Why do black calves bring more money? What about red brangus? And could angus do well here or does it need to be a cross?

Cajun Lady":1uftk0wy said:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It'll make it easier for me to decide.

But here's a bit of a dumb question maybe.
Why are most brangus 5/8-3/8? Why not half and half? And do you want your breeding stock to be 5/8-3/8 or your calves.

cypressfarms - Yes, I'm quite cajun, I live in Acadiana Parish though I'm originally from St. Mary Parish.
Why do black calves bring more money? What about red brangus? And could angus do well here or does it need to be a cross?

CJ,

By definition, a brangus is 5/8 angus and 3/8 brahman. If you were to breed an angus to a brahman, you would have a "half and half" scenario; this would be called an F1 cross, as it is a first generation cross between two breeds. (By the way, many people do use this type of F1 down here).

I can't speak for other parts of the country, but down here there are two factors to consider.

First, the "ear" factor You don't want too much "ear", which means brahman blood, because your calves will be slighty discounted (sell for less). However, it is beneficial to have some brahman blood, as it helps the cows handle the heat better. To help you visiualize, check out cherokeeruby's cattle, which are brahman and notice the ears.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21809

They have large ears. Calves like this would get docked going through the sale barn.

Now look at the ears on this calf:

12calf-eve.JPG

which is a cross between an angus and a brangus. Much smaller ears, no dock at sale time.

Second issue is color. Some cattlemen refuse to look at color, and breed what they choose, which is fine, but for a cow/calf producer, IMO I need to produce calves that have a high demand and will bring the highest price. From your parish I think Dominique's stockyard in Opelousas is the closest. I would recommend you go there and just watch two or three sales. You will begin to notice that black calves sell for more per pound than others. More specifically, the higher angus content buyers think a calf has, the higher the price will be.

Angus can do well here. We have a member here, LA4angus, which probably doesn't live far from you, who raises fine angus. If you are a cow/calf producer (selling your calves at the auction every year), however, you will want to take advantage of hybrid vigor. Hybrid vigor is a widely known fact that when you cross two breeds, the resulting offspring will be heavier, more fertile, longer lived, and other benefits. If you are producing calves, this extra bonus cannot be overlooked. I would strongly recommend against a new person breeding just one breed, as in angus bulls with angus cows, because ultimately you will lose money. Only seedstock producers do this, and they do this to supply commericial (cow/calf) farmers with breeding stock.

Sorry for being longwinded. If you want to pm me, feel free. I may get jumped on by other members for my comments, but what works down here, doesn't necessarily work in other places.

You were right on Cypress, not long weinded at all.
The role played by Tuli in countries such as Namibia, has been to redce the 'ear' without compromising heat tolerance, calving ease and disease resistance, while actually improving fertility and calf survival (due to heterosis) in the F1. The resultant low maintenance cow can be crossed to any British or continental breed and still maximise heterosis in the third cross.

The only thing I would add to Cypress' post is that the Brangus and Braford cattle that are 5/8-3/8 have also been selected for disposition. That's why I recommended them over the F1's (50-50). Also, Braford F1's are often called "tigerstripes" because of their color pattern, in case you didn't know. Tigers and F1 Brangus cattle can be harder to handle, and it's not worth getting hurt for a few cattle.

Beefmasters have been selected for disposition as one of the "Six Essential Traits" for over 50 years. They are generally good cattle that are fertile, raise heavy calves, and make good "rubbing cattle" if you want to be able to pat them on the back.

Edit: When I said that about getting hurt, I didn't mean Brangus and Braford F1's are bad cattle, but they are not really good for novices.

As mentioned before Simbrah cattle would work in that environment. You can breed them black or red and will cross nicely with most any bull you choose. You should check the Simbrah at McNeese State University. They received about 8 femles last September and they are working on building a strong Simbrah herd there. The guy you will need to call is Dr. Chip Lemieux in the animal science department. If I can answer any questions about Simbrah let me know.

Thanks,

Matt Schiel
Bar M Ranch

Kent":39d3522b said:
The only thing I would add to Cypress' post is that the Brangus and Braford cattle that are 5/8-3/8 have also been selected for disposition. That's why I recommended them over the F1's (50-50). Also, Braford F1's are often called "tigerstripes" because of their color pattern, in case you didn't know. Tigers and F1 Brangus cattle can be harder to handle, and it's not worth getting hurt for a few cattle.

Beefmasters have been selected for disposition as one of the "Six Essential Traits" for over 50 years. They are generally good cattle that are fertile, raise heavy calves, and make good "rubbing cattle" if you want to be able to pat them on the back.

Edit: When I said that about getting hurt, I didn't mean Brangus and Braford F1's are bad cattle, but they are not really good for novices.

Now don't go to thinking Brangus and brafords are not hotter than a two dollar pistol shot five times at a rodeo. Brangus come in two forms one is with the fuse lit and the othrs have a box of kitchen matches to light the fuse. Brafords never really caught own as there dispostion is not great either.
I like both breeds but that Brimmer in them can get in to fight or flight mode right quick if you don't know what you are doing.
You lead brimmers you don't push. Now as far as the horses go they do make good dog food playing cowboy is a bunch of BS when you can learn to pen them all with a bucket of cubes.

Caustic Burno":26l3jrkm said:
Now don't go to thinking Brangus and brafords are not hotter than a two dollar pistol shot five times at a rodeo. Brangus come in two forms one is with the fuse lit and the othrs have a box of kitchen matches to light the fuse. Brafords never really caught own as there dispostion is not great either.
I like both breeds but that Brimmer in them can get in to fight or flight mode right quick if you don't know what you are doing.
You lead brimmers you don't push. Now as far as the horses go they do make good dog food playing cowboy is a bunch of BS when you can learn to pen them all with a bucket of cubes.

:lol: Succint as usual, CB. I always enjoy your posts.

I bought a group of about 20 registered Brafords about 8 years ago. Never had a problem, but then I have always caught mine with a feed bucket, so no surprise there. But in general, mine were just as easy going as my Herefords. I understand that not all Brafords are that way. BTW, I agree on the "playing cowboy" comment. :cboy:

Latest posts