South Devon

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian

Reaction score
Northern New England Region, Tenterfield NSW Austr
This is our principle sire used in the registered herd.
th_DSC00148.jpg

Beautiful cattle Colin! Looking at your bull I can see how South Devon could get confused with Limousine or Gelbvieh.

Andrew

Good looking cows Colin. The bull doesn't really turn my crank but I sure like those cows. It's great to see you posting some pictures.

What is the bloodlines of the bull? Looks like nice cattle, but I think the Herf x heifer is going to have a bad udder. The front teats are pretty high. Nice looking cattle though!

The South Devon bull is a grandson of Westhams Axle 718 a bull from New Zealand out of a cow by a Grove Hannibal sire bull. So a mix of English/Australian/New Zealand.The South Devon Hereford female has had 4 calves and has a perfect udder when its filled with milk. She doesn't become bottle teated at all.

South Devons are definately better used as a crossbred than as a pure commercial animal in tougher country. Some SD breeders would dispute that. That maybe the problem why they haven't taken off in this country. Too much emphasis was made on promotinng them to perform in country other than the softer southern land. ( Our northern areas are very hot ,better suited to Bos Indicus types) South Devons are after all are Britishand not meant to endure the warmer climes. I think our Herefords do perform better. I just love the temperament of the SDs (its better than Herefords) Horses for courses I suppose.

Latest posts