Sous Vide Cooking

Help Support CattleToday:

Pretty sure it's not a widespread method of cooking because of the costs involved. I haven't studied it to great detail, although I do have the basic idea.

I use it and have had good success with venison, chicken and beef. I also use it to poach sandwich meats.

That's my go to method for tri tip. I never knew there was a special name or equipment until my brother in law showed me his. I always just heat up a pot of water to the right temp and put the meat in a plastic bag and dump it in. I call it "cooking it in water" but I guess if you sit down to pee and wear a tie under your sweater just to lay around the house like my BIL does then you have to know the proper name and have all the right equipment to enjoy it.

Jogeephus":1gds6tw4 said:
I use it and have had good success with venison, chicken and beef. I also use it to poach sandwich meats.

Did some italian roast beef just that way for sandwiches today. Quick sear on some cast iron and slice it up. Sure is good.

artesianspringsfarm":3cgvwnt1 said:
Jogeephus":3cgvwnt1 said:

Did some italian roast beef just that way for sandwiches today. Quick sear on some cast iron and slice it up. Sure is good.

I did something similar today only with venison. I made some faux loins from some venison eye of rounds then cooked them sous vide to 129F cooled sliced then made Philadelphia Cheesesteak Sandwiches. Incredibly tender and juicy for venison. Lunch is sorted for the week for about six bucks. What impresses me the most is what it can do for chicken breasts. I'm not a fan of chicken breast but doing it this way sure takes it to another level.

16641021_1678905839073975_7358098991232422232_n.jpg

CP, so I take it you and your BIL don't go hunting together. ;-) :lol: :hide:

Jogeephus":w3kgxceu said:
artesianspringsfarm":w3kgxceu said:
Jogeephus":w3kgxceu said:

I did something similar today only with venison. I made some faux loins from some venison eye of rounds then cooked them sous vide to 129F cooled sliced then made Philadelphia Cheesesteak Sandwiches. Incredibly tender and juicy for venison. Lunch is sorted for the week for about six bucks. What impresses me the most is what it can do for chicken breasts. I'm not a fan of chicken breast but doing it this way sure takes it to another level.

Jo, are you scared at all when you cook it that low? I've heard sous-vide red meat needs to be at least 132 if its for any length of time to avoid bacteria issues. Would love your insight. I did todays roast beef at 135. A little more than I would like but it was still good.

slick4591":2kyswf7k said:
Pretty sure it's not a widespread method of cooking because of the costs involved. I haven't studied it to great detail, although I do have the basic idea.
They are cheap now.
You can also use a cooler to do it. Has to be one of those real good ones that hold heat a long time or you'll be babysitting it constantly.

jedstivers":3el160xx said:
slick4591":3el160xx said:
They are cheap now.
You can also use a cooler to do it. Has to be one of those real good ones that hold heat a long time or you'll be babysitting it constantly.

Exactly right on the cost. You can get a refurbished Anova unit for $99 on a deal online. Pair that with a good vacuum sealer and you really can get some pretty amazing results. Also, compared to the idea of a water bath in a pot, or even the cooler (which is how I started), its a lot more consistent. They are guaranteed to hold temp to within .5 degree F I believe.

artesianspringsfarm":ipl1m4g4 said:
Jogeephus":ipl1m4g4 said:
artesianspringsfarm":ipl1m4g4 said:

Jo, are you scared at all when you cook it that low? I've heard sous-vide red meat needs to be at least 132 if its for any length of time to avoid bacteria issues. Would love your insight. I did todays roast beef at 135. A little more than I would like but it was still good.

I think what you are referring to is you should never chill and re-heat meat that has been cooked at a temp less than 130F. Nothing wrong with cooking a steak at 129-134F then searing and eating it. You'll want to do this 45 minutes to 4 hours (2 1/2 hours max if under 130°F/54°C) .

What I was doing today was working with re-formed meat and I cooked it at 129F to tenderize the meat. From there I chilled then sliced thin. These slices were then cooked on a hot skillet so they were all essentially seared. I don't think it would have been safe had I chilled the chub then then seared the whole thing then sliced since the majority of the meat would never have reached a safe temp. Basically what I did was use the sous vide to tenderize then I cooked it after it was sliced. I don't see anything wrong with this.

I'm still learning sous vide but it seems to have a lot of promise. The best information I've found has been from J. Kenyi Lopez-Alt. He seems to use a lot of common sense and science and he's debunked several food myths. I now cook my chicken breasts to 143F and they are incredible and completely safe.

Another good use of them is reheating.
I don't have one but when I have really good leftovers I don't want the microwave or oven to ruin I'll bag them and fill the sink with hot water. While I'm doing that I'll have a pot of water coming to a boil. I'll add that too. Get the water hot. Enough long enough and the meat is just like it came off the grill.

greybeard":2l2heqca said:
I have a case of MREs...does that count?

What I really liked was the c rations cans of sphaghetti... That MRE peanut butter and those hard #$$% crackers taste pretty good too..

Latest posts