Source and Aged calves

Help Support CattleToday:

BRG

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the Red Angus Commecial marketing man. Dr. Hoss. He was at the Superior Livestock sale held in Sheridan, WY this week. He had the sale results in his hand of how the Source and Aged calves did compared to the ones that were not. They said that the Source and Aged calves sold for a $3.70/cwt premium. To me that is huge. On a 550 lbs calf that comes to $20 bucks a calf. Granted that is a country wide audiance for bidders, I am not sure it would be that much at alot of the sale barns around the country, but I know it would at some. Do many of you use a Source and Aged tagging system?

We do but we also don;t think that it's all a government conspirocy to put us out of business.

We have used it and when you feed them out the premium is 30-40 dollars per head. Seems like a good deal for a little paperwork.

I just sold my fed steers here a couple weeks ago. They paid $35 per head for the source and aged certificate. I didn't have to retag them, they used my calving record, and breeding records and my id tags as proof for verification. Little bit of paperwork but was well worth it.

Brian

I'm sure it adds some value,but maybe most source and age calves come from a little better managed places to start with.

Still haven't seen any local buyers offering more for the RFID tags...Been the same here for years-- mostly they want signed affidavits and 3rd party verification of ownership.....I've watched them sold sourced and aged for years with a hot iron brand- and State Brand Division transfer of ownership brand inspection for ID--- and signed affidavits verifying age, area origin, feed/nonfeed stuff, verification of no steriods/implants and no antibiotics, certification of shots program....

Many of these cattle were/are headed into the USDA's BEV programs-- and programs shipping to Japan and others.... Some of the feeders preferred the use of affidavits because it allowed them to utilyze whatever ID system they had sat up for in their individual feedlots...Some of the loads I inspected out were going to Colorado feedlots that used "eye readers" and their own tagging system to identify- and the paper trail for "signed verification"....

This year the SD buyers in here have only been offering more if the calves have their fall preconditioning shots-- and adding about a $2 cwt premium for that...

Interestingly the Angus Source- and the AAA's partnering with the USDA on NAIS is kind of a hot topic right now after all the money the AAA apparently has lost with it- and then all the questions that arose on the associations financial stability after they had to raise dues almost 300%- and cut services to members because of these financial problems.... :???:

We just fill out an affidavits and they use our tags as each animal has its own ID. We also have our brand tattooed in a ear also. We also turn in a copy of our preconditioniong records for the buyer to have if they want. Have not gone to RFID yet but thinking about it so we can get info into computer quicker when we weigh. Already doing the paper work for the registered so we treat the commercials the same way.

Jeff

ahh, the gov. makes me think about when they wanted dairy farmers to go to bulk tanks from milk cans. they offered big incentives at first, til they got a certain percentage switched over then the ones that didn't switch ( for what ever reason) were just forced out . the incentives always favor the biggest outfits. makes me think of another deal where milk co-ops wanted more milk & would pay a 90 cent premium to producers who would send milk to them, but their milk plant was farther away so it would cost 90 cents more to send milk to them. i tried to tell guys that after they sign the contract they could drop the premium & sure enough they did. always look a gift horse in the mouth & beware or gov. regulations, once they start with chips in cattle how long before they will want one in your child

We have done it for two years and have not seen a penny difference in our area. We also do a good preconditioning program and had then sell for the same money as unweaned green calves the same size and breed. Very frustrating.

BRG":hgpck266 said:
I just got off the phone with the Red Angus Commecial marketing man. Dr. Hoss. He was at the Superior Livestock sale held in Sheridan, WY this week. He had the sale results in his hand of how the Source and Aged calves did compared to the ones that were not. They said that the Source and Aged calves sold for a $3.70/cwt premium. To me that is huge. On a 550 lbs calf that comes to $20 bucks a calf. Granted that is a country wide audiance for bidders, I am not sure it would be that much at alot of the sale barns around the country, but I know it would at some. Do many of you use a Source and Aged tagging system?

Interesting post.

For more details on the benefits of Age and Source Verification read the following article from Livestock-ID

http://livestock-id.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... ntial.html

Latest posts