Sound proofing

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
Any body have any experience doing any sound proofing in a room? We are hoping to attach something to the ceilings to help keep the noise from upstairs, upstairs. Looking for some type of tile, foam etc that can be used to help deaden the sound? The only thing I can come up with is putting a suspended ceiling below the drywall one, but I am not crazy about that look. Any other ideas? I know this is a long shot but there are a lot of different people with diverse backgrounds on here. Thanks-

Bestoutwest":3o5f8o0c said:
You might try something like this. It's used for music studios.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... ctads-adid^221957295803-device^c-plaid^323968448103-sku^J14179000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA
I worked on a boat in my teen years that had something similar to that installed in the deck overhead of the engine room. The crew quarters were directly over the engine room and a 12 cylinder Cat for growling 24/7. It was the quietest boat I have ever been on and sure made sleeping easier.

Is the noise source strictly a vertical issue? If so, two layers of sheetrock with green glue in between, no shared seams, is pretty amazing. Foam stops certain ranges of noise from bouncing around but it is not an effective soundproofing substance. You need dense layers of material. They also make thick curtain type stuff you can suspend in floor joists before hanging sheetrock. Check out green glue here:

https://www.tmsoundproofing.com/How-to-Soundproof.html

Spoken from a guy who has a sales office in the basement of his house where his wife homeschools kids. Sound coming up and going down :)

artesianspringsfarm":2qmxwud6 said:
Is the noise source strictly a vertical issue? If so, two layers of sheetrock with green glue in between, no shared seams, is pretty amazing. Foam stops certain ranges of noise from bouncing around but it is not an effective soundproofing substance. You need dense layers of material. They also make thick curtain type stuff you can suspend in floor joists before hanging sheetrock. Check out green glue here:

https://www.tmsoundproofing.com/How-to-Soundproof.html

Spoken from a guy who has a sales office in the basement of his house where his wife homeschools kids. Sound coming up and going down :)

Mainly noise coming from over head. It's a hotel and this wing has 32 rooms. 16 floor level, 16 second floor. Main complaints is upstairs guests changing shift at 3 am. There are 16 guys leaving at 3 am and 16 guys arriving at t 3 am. Gas field workers. Its generally not an issue when everyone is on a similar schedule, but at 3 am any noise overhead disrupts the downstairs guests. I'm looking for something that would look acceptable to put on the ceiling of the downstairs rooms to muffle the noise coming from over head.

May be too late now, but they can drill a pretty small hole in your sheet rock, and bow the insulation in. They blow it one direction, down by the floor joist, and then the other. I went ahead, and insulated me and the old ladies bedroom, all the way around, all the walls, and the ceiling.

Latest posts