sorry to ask about scours

Help Support CattleToday:

kenojoe

Reaction score
I did a search and looked at a fair number of posts but still have a question. Calves are all about 5-6 weeks old. Neighbor called and said he noticed one crap yellow tonight, about the color of butter and about like pudding. Rear end is clean and calf is up and running with the rest. Is this scours? If so, how urgent is it? Also this calf makes her rounds to a number of other cows and eats like a pig. Could this be caused by all the rich milk from fresh pasture. Still giving them hay in the morning.

I'd probably let it go and just watch the calf. A calf getting that much milk from nursing off several cows is going to have some really runny manure. If her overall attitude changes or the consistancy of the manure changes from pudding-like to watery, then I'd certainly do something about it.

milkmaid":1mz2ayp8 said:
I'd probably let it go and just watch the calf. A calf getting that much milk from nursing off several cows is going to have some really runny manure. If her overall attitude changes or the consistancy of the manure changes from pudding-like to watery, then I'd certainly do something about it.

I agree completely! Couldn't have said it any better. Pretty sad that you have to be sorry to ask a good question though.

Double R

Latest posts