Sorry Jo

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Thawed out a brisket and I didn't brine it or smoke it. :( :(
I did use your rub though and stuck it in the slow cooker.

just pulled it out. Yum!!!!!
Put it on toasted bread. it is great. :banana:

I just sliced some myself. I think I'm on a brisket kick right now. But the way you did yours it only stands to reason it was good cause the recipe I gave was for cooking angus not herford meat. ;-) :cowboy: :lol2: :lol2: (ok, let the eggs begin to fly) :lol2:

Jogeephus":2jw1mj1n said:
I just sliced some myself. I think I'm on a brisket kick right now. But the way you did yours it only stands to reason it was good cause the recipe I gave was for cooking angus not herford meat. ;-) :cowboy: :lol2: :lol2: (ok, let the eggs begin to fly) :lol2:
how do u brine your briskets? does that help with the chewyness problem?

Jogeephus":1dk0thsk said:

:shock: Boy...now that ought to resurrect the dead! :lol2: :lol2:

ROFLMAO :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: ;-)

No hard feelings Jo. My friend used to complain her roasts were never as tender as mine, I told her it was because hers was Angus and mine was Hereford. Let the dirty looks begin. :D ;-) :lol2:

piedmontese":39xpfzl7 said:
Jogeephus":39xpfzl7 said:
how do u brine your briskets? does that help with the chewyness problem?

Yes and no. Its about like sharpening a knife. You don't have to put it on leather to get it sharp but it doesn't hurt it either. Chemically, the brine will modify the molecular structure of the meat allowing it to hold more moisture so when the brisket rests more moisture is able to be drawn back into the meat. Personally, I'm a big briner cause if I'm going to spend 12-16 hours babysitting a smoker I want the cards stacked in my favor. In blind taste tests I've done with people, most of the time they can tell the difference in the juiciness and the flavor but sometimes I'll get some cuts of meat that even my X-wife couldn't screw up.

Jo, what is the brine you use, and for how long do you brine it? I never have tried brining a brisket, but I know it does wonders for a turkey. I'm ready to give it a try.

Jim, if you take a gallon of water and add a cup of non-iodized salt to it you will have the base for a brine. You can add any spices that you wish to yield the flavor you like.

If you like a touch of garlic in your beef I made a mojo base last night that I think is going to be a great addition to this mix but I haven't tried it yet but its very easy to make and I think the flavor is going to be outstanding. Here is the recipe for that. If you decide to put your fate in my hands I'd appreciate any feedback.

8 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tbs of lemon juice
1/4 cup of lime juice
1 cup of orange juice
4 Bay leaves
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 TBS soy sauce
2 tsp Dark Brown sugar

Put these ingredients in a blender blend well. When you first taste it its going to seem strong but give it a minute and remember its going into a gallon of water.

Add this to your basic brine mix and soak the brisket for 12-24 hours.

Latest posts