Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try aga

Help Support CattleToday:

jcummins

Reaction score
Seems the new post button, produces this message quite often lately.

Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

I thought maybe this problem is from being on a slower air card....not the case. I'm under DSL and I still get this.....rather regularly.

New server or not...something ain't right here.

Does anyone else get this?

Angus Cowman":2ehfnzal said:
I get it more now than I did on the old server

I am on usually around 5 in the morning and I never got it then now I do no matter when I am on

I thought the new server was supposed to be better I can't see any improvement
Yup, but I had thought maybe my "old computer" was the problem cuz it is slower than ever. I posted "Slow Going" in the coffee shop. But I guess there is trouble with the data going from the old server to the new one per Macon. So hopefully it will get fixed....

yes it is getting so bad that i dont wanna bother comin in sometimes....dont make me find somethin else to do..i like it here....please fix it ..please ...pretty please

Lots of comments on this topic - but not a he!! of a lot of responses.

How about some Mod or Macon throw a bone to the crowd and provide some answers?

It is a simple courtesy thing.

Cheers

Bez+

Don't know if the problem is my computer or what but everytime I click on "pictures" I get the following message:

Could not connect to ReviewPost databaseAccess denied for user 'cattleto_mgravle'@'localhost' to database 'cattleto_xmb1'

Can access these same pics on Ranchers.net

TexasBred":3g12xt91 said:
Don't know if the problem is my computer or what but everytime I click on "pictures" I get the following message:

Could not connect to ReviewPost databaseAccess denied for user 'cattleto_mgravle'@'localhost' to database 'cattleto_xmb1'

Can access these same pics on Ranchers.net

It's not your computer....this site has problems, and they have been there for awhile too.

Yep ~ it made me crazy too til I put it into perspective. You know ~ that "in the whole scheme of things..." look. Now rather than getting mad when it tells me I cannot use search ~ I do the wave when it works. Bonanza!! :nod: See?

Well you can wave all you want, but I prefer not to. Over the years I've been on a lot of different forums, and this one unfortunately is one of the worst administrated ones.

There are problems here and either they don't have the time, aren't smart enough to get it right, or don't care.

I not only enjoy reading the information here, it has been very useful, in trying to keep my small ranch going in retirement. There are many very knowledgeable people on here….and I want to continue to read their advise. But lately, I've been coming here less, because the site is so screwed up.

jcummins":17xfjpqh said:
Well you can wave all you want, but I prefer not to. Over the years I've been on a lot of different forums, and this one unfortunately is one of the worst administrated ones.

There are problems here and either they don't have the time, aren't smart enough to get it right, or don't care.

I not only enjoy reading the information here, it has been very useful, in trying to keep my small ranch going in retirement. There are many very knowledgeable people on here….and I want to continue to read their advise. But lately, I've been coming here less, because the site is so screwed up.

well said..too bad nobody noticed

jcummins":kcm72ox6 said:

It's definitely the aren't smart enough one! I and 6 computer guys in New Jersey (of all places) have spent hundreds of hours on this problem. The server operators in Dallas have swapped out all 12 gig of memory, the guys in NJ have swapped out the kernel. We've reconfigured mySQL database dozens of times. The last time at 9:52 pm last night.

The problem with search is that the software is set to limit searches when the server is overly busy. Which is bad, but much better than a server crash. Searches are very computer intensive since it must look through 600,000 posts. I could delete 300,000 of the older posts but I would rather fix the server problem.

I can assure you that I am much more frustrated than you are. I'm spending $500/mo on this giant server and it is doing worse than the old one. But I can assure you that I definitely do care and am working on it every day.

M Gravlee":jwyk65vc said:
jcummins":jwyk65vc said:

It's definitely the aren't smart enough one! I and 6 computer guys in New Jersey (of all places) have spent hundreds of hours on this problem. The server operators in Dallas have swapped out all 12 gig of memory, the guys in NJ have swapped out the kernel. We've reconfigured mySQL database dozens of times. The last time at 9:52 pm last night.

The problem with search is that the software is set to limit searches when the server is overly busy. Which is bad, but much better than a server crash. Searches are very computer intensive since it must look through 600,000 posts. I could delete 300,000 of the older posts but I would rather fix the server problem.

I can assure you that I am much more frustrated than you are. I'm spending $500/mo on this giant server and it is doing worse than the old one. But I can assure you that I definitely do care and am working on it every day.

Thanks - if you or one of the Mods were to send us a signal once a month on updates we probably would not get as frustrated.

I also run an internet business and have had similar probs when traffic jumped into the tens of thousands - I kept the folks off my back and from being PO'd by telling them I was in trouble and working on it - so I do indeed feel your pain - it took a lot of hours with my tech geek partner and some serious coinage to set things right.

Hope you can figure it out soon - and I hope it does not take too big a bite out of the wallet - take care

Bez+

Yes the new one seems worse.

Before retirement I was an IT administrator, and also a SAP Basis administrator. Different systems with what you are dealing with…but I understand the problems you can get into. In retirement I do not miss the numerous days I had no sleep at all. Around the clock work. However…when dealing with the type of server problems you apparently have….I got very nasty with the vendors I dealt with, IF those gremlins exposed problems to my customer base.

Suggestion…when you have these issues, be pro-active with your users…that being the forum users. And put a post out there keeping us up to date. Put it as a 'sticky' so you see it when you go to the forums. We'll understand. And refresh the message if the problems persist. But to have the issues kind of nag at you and not having any feedback is aggravating.

Macon, thanks for the update. .

M Gravlee":2zkjrvft said:
jcummins":2zkjrvft said:

I can understand it being inactive when their is a high volume of users on, but this morning there were only 11 users and the search feature only worked once then went back to sorry you can't use search

Could be caused by backup which runs every morning after 2 am. But if I really knew what the problem was it would be fixed. We're just guessing and changing one thing at a time.

M Gravlee":3efz3kq8 said:
But if I really knew what the problem was it would be fixed. We're just guessing and changing one thing at a time.

Sounds like Dr. House :lol: . One thing at a time, process of elimination. Hopefully the problem will be 'discovered' sooner than later.

Thanks.

Katherine

Latest posts