Soring a horse....

Help Support CattleToday:

jersey lilly

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqFeY...aynext_from=PL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSsQS...eature=related

I was reading a post about Tennessee walkers. I noticed the pictures posted by this person, all the horses hooves were extremely long. So I googled.......and found the above video. In no way am I suggesting that the person that posted the other post would treat their animals such as seen in these videos.....Just was doin some lookin around and found this.

Disgusting!!!! is about all I can say. I've always thought their gate looked unnatural....but this is beyond unnatural.......I never knew this type of thing went on in the TW breed, and competitions. Here we as barrel racers try our best to keep our horses from bein sore....and these idiots are doin it on purpose!

Some of these lowlifes founder the horse on purpose. I think they should be shot....the owner,not the horse..Horse should be rescued..TWH is a lovely breed,too bad the same can't be said for some owners.

This practice is unfortunately used to give the animal the desired gait. There are now measures taken to prevent these aniimals from being shown. Each horse is inspected prior to an event and disqualified if any evidence of soring is found.

As an after thought, Lily, since you searched it you may have already learned, that their feet aren't actually overly long. It's actually a pad that is added to the front feet. Starting with a thin pad and built up over time to give the desired gait.

Oh I found lots of pictures where their feet are overly long...and at horrible angles before the blocks are put on.

Take a look at some of the pictures on this site and tell me the angles on those feet are right.
http://www.hphoofcare.com/lick.html

It's disgusting......but I do applaud the owners that have their TW's in normal shoes and even barefoot...and refuse to play the game. They are beautiful animals....and have a lovely gate when shod properly.

I have a TWH that I pleasure ride. She goes barefoot and will gait like a TWH will naturally. She has never had pads or weights put on just natural....the way I like it. She gets trimmed on a regular schedule also. I have alot of heartburn with the way some TWH are treated around here.

My great uncle that owned the horses I mentioned on the previous thread never did anything to his horses. They had natural gaits. In fact he caught a bad wrap on the TWH committee when he saw to it that some people that sored their horses were dq'd and banned from showing again. In fact he made sure they had a lifetime ban. These people had money and power so his decision was none to popular back in the day. He had a black horse trainer to. That was none to popular back then either.

That's as it should be. I never knew until lookin this up that those practices went on.....I know there are plenty of honest, good, horse owners out there doin the right thing.

Putting a Walker on pads does not necessarily make the gait better it makes it "showier" and much more exaggerated with the high front end and really getting under themselves on the rear. This is not a natural Walker gait. A good walking horse will gait just as soon as he can get up on his own when he is foaled. Flat shod they are as sure footed a trail mount as you can ask for, they also have the most wonderful ride. Soring a horse is a terrible thing to do and TWHA is really cracking down on it and I applaud their efforts. Pads are not soring, just gives the exaggerated action which is not natural but is what alot of show rings require . I like em flat shot, western saddle and head noddin.

cford said:
Putting a Walker on pads does not necessarily make the gait better it makes it "showier" and much more exaggerated with the high front end and really getting under themselves on the rear. This is not a natural Walker gait. A good walking horse will gait just as soon as he can get up on his own when he is foaled. Flat shod they are as sure footed a trail mount as you can ask for, they also have the most wonderful ride. Soring a horse is a terrible thing to do and TWHA is really cracking down on it and I applaud their efforts. Pads are not soring, just gives the exaggerated action which is not natural but is what alot of show rings require . I like em flat shot, western saddle and head noddin.[ On the 8th day god commanded all horses, from this day forward no horse shall trot. Only the good ones listened.

cford-you said it-I will NEVER go back to any other breed after having TWH. My horses are barefoot, sound and just as comfortable and naturally gaited as a person could ask for. They are people loving horses and willing to do anything. One of my horses is used by my daughter to game and she always brings home ribbons from our local shows...out-competing those QH! And this is big QH country.

jonbri55":2z8kttp9 said:
cford-you said it-I will NEVER go back to any other breed after having TWH. My horses are barefoot, sound and just as comfortable and naturally gaited as a person could ask for. They are people loving horses and willing to do anything. One of my horses is used by my daughter to game and she always brings home ribbons from our local shows...out-competing those QH! And this is big QH country.
they diffinitely ride like a cadilac,, but i like my quarter horses .... i like one that will put you on a cow or calf pronto and can run backwards as fast as they can forwards.. and look one in the eye and dare em to move,,, o he!@ yeah :cowboy:

I owned a TWH an he was to best horse ( and friend ) I have ever had. I refused to trim and shoe some TWH that came in with chains around their ankles, when i was going to Oklahoma Farriers College. I would not be a part of the pain. :cboy:

I've heard of lots of people that use TWH for cows...but I'm sure there's nothing like a QH for that job-it's what they've been bred for! I ride my TWH on the trails and there's nothing more comfortable and no horse that can get you down the trail quicker, for sure! It's especially nice since I'm on the "other side" of 40!

jonbri55":3qchvhdx said:
I've heard of lots of people that use TWH for cows...but I'm sure there's nothing like a QH for that job-it's what they've been bred for! I ride my TWH on the trails and there's nothing more comfortable and no horse that can get you down the trail quicker, for sure! It's especially nice since I'm on the "other side" of 40!
back in the 50's and early 60's there were alot more walkers around here than there was Q's ..there was a old roper that made a calf horse out of one...at rodeos he would lead him in the arena, didnt want the other cowboys laughing at him :cowboy: get on back him, back in the box.. bounce out on one,, then lead him back out

I understand! I'm in the heart of QH country and the old cowboys just can't get past the narrow chest and no a** on my TW!! There are a couple of ranches over in MT that raise and train only TW on their cattle ranches and they raise some pretty nice horses. And cows too! I just know everyone chuckles under their breath around here when my daughter flies around the barrels and poles on her dad's TW! They stop laughing when they hear her time and see the ribbons she gets! :lol:

We breed a very LIMITED number of TWH's. All are NATURAL footed, flat shod, trimmed naturally, and their gait is very impressive. They hit the ground running...so to speak...in gait... Our palomino stallion, "Dusty's Royal Flush," has numerous of the old style plantation ancestors in his pedigree. My wife has a mare that she trail rides and has received numerous compliments on her performance by Quarterhorse and other breed people.

Regarding the TWH Show Circuit: They are a bunch of idiots! :mad: Exaggerated padded gaits, and all for the Show people, not for practical riding people. I could probably walk faster that those TWH Show horses can...lol... And...all of those guys riding in their frock coats...all look like they are angry, stressed, have sciolosis, and overweight...lol. A TWH show horse + a good non-show horse = 1 good non-show horse that has utility, and usefulness... I have no use for the show environment...

Latest posts