Sorghum-Sudan

Help Support CattleToday:

ChrisB

Reaction score
I had 20 lbs per acre of Sorghum-Sudan blown on 17 days ago in dry conditions. Packed it with a brillion seeder. Since, we have recieved several 1/4" rains and one 1" rain last week. The s-s is very, very spotty in coming up. When do I give up on it? I am thinking of going over it with the finisher and planting silage corn, but would have to get that done this week. In hind sight we should have packed it before seeding and again afterwards to get a firmer seed bed. It seems it should have come up within 2 weeks even if planted too deep.

Cut my losses and plant corn?

I'm not familiar with blowing it on. But it sounds like a much different than how we plant it. We drill it about 1 " deep at 50 pounds.
With that said it does tend to come in spotty. I personally would visually check the seed in the bare spots.

I have grown SS for years and love it. Now is the time to plant, June, in Minnesota. So you could replant if the stand doesn't improve. Last year most of my alfalfa froze out and I had to go to plan B. My cows grazed SS most of the winter. All I have used to plant was a conventional drill and in the last years a no till drill.

farmguy":2meztizb said:
I have grown SS for years and love it. Now is the time to plant, June, in Minnesota. So you could replant if the stand doesn't improve. Last year most of my alfalfa froze out and I had to go to plan B. My cows grazed SS most of the winter. All I have used to plant was a conventional drill and in the last years a no till drill.

What are you planting in to? Do you fertilize or spray? How long does it take to get to grazing height? Hope Im not being too nosy, just planning on putting some in this year and never done it before.

I no till into whatever. Spray with roundup, wait 3 days minimum and plant. Fertilize to tests or use turkey manure. Do not over use nitrogen and if it turns dry test for nitrates. Growth depends on rain and temp.

farmguy":1tdyi248 said:
I no till into whatever. Spray with roundup, wait 3 days minimum and plant. Fertilize to tests or use turkey manure. Do not over use nitrogen and if it turns dry test for nitrates. Growth depends on rain and temp.

Thanks!

Latest posts