sores on skin

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a small herd of 11 cattle, none more than 1 1/2 years old. In the last 2 months. 4 of the calves (all 6 to 9 months old)have been getting raw patchs on their skin. The patchs bleed slightly then heal, the hair has not grown back. I thought they might be rubbing on something but that doesnt apear to be the case. My neigbor used to raise holsteins and thought the calves might have lice. The vet was out a few weeks ago so I had her deworm and delouce them with Ivomec+. Its been a month now and they are still getting sores. Any ideas what this might be and how to eliminate it?

[email protected]

There are two kinds of lice - biting and sucking. If you used the pour-on Ivomec, it only gets one of them and also gets mites. The injectable should get both and also mites. Get some DeLice or other product for lice, and treat two times - 14 days apart. It deffinately sounds like lice or mites. Jeanne
> I have a small herd of 11 cattle,
> none more than 1 1/2 years old. In
> the last 2 months. 4 of the calves
> (all 6 to 9 months old)have been
> getting raw patchs on their skin.
> The patchs bleed slightly then
> heal, the hair has not grown back.
> I thought they might be rubbing on
> something but that doesnt apear to
> be the case. My neigbor used to
> raise holsteins and thought the
> calves might have lice. The vet
> was out a few weeks ago so I had
> her deworm and delouce them with
> Ivomec+. Its been a month now and
> they are still getting sores. Any
> ideas what this might be and how
> to eliminate it?

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

You must treat ALL the cattle because if one has lice - they all have it, and not treating one will reinvest the whole herd. Jeanne
> There are two kinds of lice -
> biting and sucking. If you used
> the pour-on Ivomec, it only gets
> one of them and also gets mites.
> The injectable should get both and
> also mites. Get some DeLice or
> other product for lice, and treat
> two times - 14 days apart. It
> deffinately sounds like lice or
> mites. Jeanne

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

Jon, I raise hereford cattle in central Texas and last fall observed a few cows losing hair in patches, specifically in the brisket area, in front of the hind legs and the udder would turn black. Hair would peel off from the tip of the nose toward the eyes. I immediately assumed lice, the most probable and trained thought cause of the problem. My vet called this condition "photosentization", caused by eating alot of green forage in the presence of sunlight. We were beginning to graze winter wheat and the fall temperatures and sunlight were above normal even up to 80 degrees. The symptoms produced no "sores" , just areas where patches of hair fell out, leaving the pink skin. Reminded me of a skin allergy. Occurred in only 2 cows of a group of 30. May not occur in all parts of the country or black cattle.

> I have a small herd of 11 cattle,
> none more than 1 1/2 years old. In
> the last 2 months. 4 of the calves
> (all 6 to 9 months old)have been
> getting raw patchs on their skin.
> The patchs bleed slightly then
> heal, the hair has not grown back.
> I thought they might be rubbing on
> something but that doesnt apear to
> be the case. My neigbor used to
> raise holsteins and thought the
> calves might have lice. The vet