Sore throat remedies?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I have the worst throat pain I've ever had in my life. Went to the clinic this morning and it wasn't Strep or the Flu, doc said has to run it's course. I haven't eaten almost anything in three days and it literally feels like I'm swallowing jagged glass every time I swallow. I never realized how much we swallow each day. I've also been running a fever and it even is making me sick to my stomach. Probably more than y'all wanted.

Seriously, anyone have any tips to numbing my throat, soothing it, etc?

:frowns:

Honey.

Even better (for me, lots of people say otherwise); warmed milk and honey. If you don't want milk, try it with lemon + hot water.
Chicken soup made with real stock.

Just three weeks ago I had extremely sore throat that eventually became bronchitis. I just toughed it through but the sore throat was the worst. I got relief from various things at different times. Tried rinseing my mouth with warm salt water, hot tea or coffee was soothing also. A hot Toddy made of lemon, honey, and a shot of warmed Jack Daniels or Jim Beam. And I also just sucked on lemon drops and Halls lozenges. The sore throat lasted maybe 3-4 days but the entire episode lasted 2-1/2 weeks. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

All these are good. Also, you might want to pick up a bottle of cinnamon schnapps. Hot Dam is what its called here. Its helpful. Also, if this is stemming from a sinus problem you should try zycam to drain your sinuses. Clogged sinuses will cause infection. Don't need this.

A dose of liquid Benadryl and equal part of Mylanta
Gargle for as long as you can stand it
and if you want to you can swallow (to get the Benadryl into your system) or not. I don't swallow as Benadryl puts me to sleep.

Gargle warm salt water. I don't think this is supposed to be soothing in and of itself, but it really does promote healing so the pain goes away faster.

Sorry, can't remember the name of it right now, but there's a sore throat spray that really does help soothe/numb the throat. It tastes really bad but does help the throat.

Put Vicks ointment on your chest and underneathe your nose, plus tea with honey in it, and that spray that numbs the throat works for a bit. Usually when I get a sore throat, the cold is coming next, I have had a chest infection for about 3.5 weeks now, its alot better than it was, but at night the Vicks trick is the only thing that helps me get to sleep-takes the tickle away from the cough.

GMN

Starlight mints Hot ginger lemon tea with honey There are some lousengs that will numb . had it myself,no fun.

Ice cold soda continuously :nod: (personal choice is Pepsi)

something about the acid in the soda just cuts that stuff right up

Lemon and honey in warm water, with ginger grated on top. and lots of warm water gargles.
I found to help me sleep and keep my nose clear and throat at ease I bought a plug in karvol and placed it by the bed side and the vapours through the night help, and try to sleep in an upright position it helps the tubes to stay clear and ease the throat.

Christian Brothers Brandy, Honey, and Hot water. If it does'nt cure the sore throat just keep drinking them till you forget the sore throat. It's worked for me for many years, Good luck.
~Tom

Plenty of fluids however you like to take them! and anti-inflammatories of your choice.

I think Chloraseptic throat spray works fine, just doesn't last long enough!

and also hot green tea with honey, and then rub your neck and below your ears with Vicks and LOTS of it...
then wrap your neck with a warm towel out of the dryer.

Nothing like a little TLC to help ya feel better! :nod:

I asked an old man in a old country store once if he had something for a sore throat. He said get a mouth full of whiskey and set on top of the heater until it boiled. He said he didn't know if it cured it but the pain will definitely move somewhere else. It also works for a tooth ache.

tncattle":27v1jftv said:
I have the worst throat pain I've ever had in my life. Went to the clinic this morning and it wasn't Strep or the Flu, doc said has to run it's course. I haven't eaten almost anything in three days and it literally feels like I'm swallowing jagged glass every time I swallow. I never realized how much we swallow each day. I've also been running a fever and it even is making me sick to my stomach. Probably more than y'all wanted.

Did you get the rapid strep test or did they do a throat culture that takes a couple days for results? If it were me, I would call the Doc and tell them you are still running a fever with a very bad sore throat, they may want to test again.

MistyMorning":b2dbba86 said:
tncattle":b2dbba86 said:

Did you get the rapid strep test or did they do a throat culture that takes a couple days for results? If it were me, I would call the Doc and tell them you are still running a fever with a very bad sore throat, they may want to test again.

After seeing my regular Dr. yesterday it is Strep, I just can't believe the incredible throat pain. Thanks for all the ideas, I haven't tried them all but nothing has even remotely worked. I think if I tried them all in one day it might kill me. :p Dr. said to give the meds at least two days before I start to notice results. I started the medicine last night.

That is too bad, I had strep once that I remember that really caused a lot of pain. I know a sore thoat is bad but the strep throat I had was so much worse. I hope you get to feeling better soon. Take care and take it easy, it is better to beat it as strep throat than to have it migrate to other areas of your body.

Jalopy":f1oh7ogx said:
That is too bad, I had strep once that I remember that really caused a lot of pain. I know a sore thoat is bad but the strep throat I had was so much worse. I hope you get to feeling better soon. Take care and take it easy, it is better to beat it as strep throat than to have it migrate to other areas of your body.
At least you know what it is now and it is curable, no concellation when it hurts so much but just think it wont be there long and when it's gone it's gone.. and could have been worse, a friend of mine was diagnosed with throat and tounge Cancer today and there is no treatment as he has left it to late, now unfortunatly it is a waiting game of time, the Docs have predicted a couple of months tops.

Again, thanks for all the ideas of which I will store away for the next time I have a sore throat. The antibiotics are already making a difference and I finally could eat a little bit today. Man, food sure does taste good! :banana:

Latest posts