Sooner's, Boomer's, 1849-1895

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with the 1889 - 1895 land rush ? If so do you think it was fair for the government to allow friends and family to claim choice parcels before it was open to claim by all Americans participating in the land grab ?

To me it appears government was just as crooked then as it is now.

Anyone familiar with the 1889 - 1895 land rush ? If so do you think it was fair for the government to allow friends and family to claim choice parcels before it was open to claim by all Americans participating in the land grab ?

To me it appears government was just as crooked then as it is now.
I wasn't aware of that. I'm going to be in McAlester Oklahoma this weekend. Not sure you could give me land in Oklahoma.

I wasn't aware of that. I'm going to be in McAlester Oklahoma this weekend. Not sure you could give me land in Oklahoma.
Oklahoma has some pretty good real estate. For both cattle and row crop.

Good hunting and all.

I had seen western movies with the land rush in them. But never new exactly what it was about. Government gave away 50 million acres during that time.

That I knew but I didn't realize some people were getting preferential treatment.
Said there was the sooners who just snuck in i guess days before and laid claim to land.

And then their were sooners who had permission from government officals to go ahead of everyone else that were waiting for the assigned day and time of the start of the land rush. Thoes people had to race and compete with others for a parcel of land to claim. Was supposed to be the first one to steak a claim for the land got it. Everyone was supposed to have the same opportunity as the next person.

There wasn't supposed to be anyone like the sooners have any advantage over anyone else.

I know a couple of families that were here before this area was opened.

A good friend of mine had a grandmother who came to Oklahoma on the Trail of Tears but that is another story....

Latest posts