Soon end of the pastureseason

Help Support CattleToday:

edde_1

Reaction score
Some pics from the char-bull group.
In a couple of weeks it´s time to barn the cattle and wean the calfes. I got to enjoy this last day´s before it´s time to feed the cattle everyday, and the long wait for spring begins.
dsc00161fx8.jpg

dsc00162xe7.jpg

A sim and a couple of sim x lim crosses.

dsc00163te9.jpg

Sim with a bullcalf after a charbull.

dsc00165ho8.jpg

The same pair.

dsc00168ol9.jpg

3/4 sim cow with a heifercalf that going to be a replacement.

dsc00169qo2.jpg

3/4 sim cow with her bullcalf.

dsc00170rn1.jpg

Sim with a little holstein in her and her bullcalf

dsc00171oq5.jpg

Three generations.
A sim x lim cross, then 3/4 sim x 1/4 lim, And the heifercalf 1/2 char.

dsc00172bs0.jpg

And at last the old ugly charbull.

you right that charolais bull is a ugly sumbuck .but he's got some good looking calves.wish my pasture was as thick as yours... cause pasture season would go on a little longer ;-)

Your calves have some real good growth on them.

When you say "barn the cows" do you keep them inside over Winter?

ALACOWMAN":2sklcz8j said:
you right that charolais bull is a ugly sumbuck .but he's got some good looking calves.wish my pasture was as thick as yours... cause pasture season would go on a little longer ;-)

Yes, he is. And he seems to get more ugly everyday :D. But he was real nice as a young, i dont know why he has lost hís topline the way he has the last couple of years. I have never kept a bull this long, because i never had one that put so much growth and muscels on their calfes. The bullcalfes grow a bit over 4 lbs/day on free ratio of grain and good silage.

The pasture they are on now is what we in sweden call "traeda" it a field that rest from growing plants and stuff, it´s just have grass on it and you isn´t allowed to harvest or pasture the grass before the 1 september. So that why it so thich.

mnmtranching":1dsuuin1 said:

Yes, in sweden we must have our cattle inside or they must have access to a shelter. It´s the animal welfare law that demands that. And it´s so stupid! I guess that the one that wrote that law think that cattle freezes during the winter and have no idea about cattle lower crititical temps and so on.

edde_1":odmy8dog said:
mnmtranching":odmy8dog said:

Yes, in sweden we must have our cattle inside or they must have access to a shelter. It´s the animal welfare law that demands that. And it´s so stupid! I guess that the one that wrote that law think that cattle freezes during the winter and have no idea about cattle lower crititical temps and so on.
cattle fare better outside as long as they have access to wind break's fresh air and sunshine.. vit. D is the ticket staying inside, dust and ammonia fume's wreak havoc on them lungs

~~

Edde,

It's always a pleasure looking at your photos of TRADITIONAL Simmentals.

I am always impressed.

The muscling on those calves is great.

How old are those calves in the photos ?

How old is the oldest cow in the herd ?

I have a 17 year old that is still producing. She has had 18 calves to date ( 1 set of twins, 16 heifers )

Thanks for the photos, and keep them coming~!!

CowCop":gcs0l8fc said:
~~

Edde,

It's always a pleasure looking at your photos of TRADITIONAL Simmentals.

I am always impressed.

The muscling on those calves is great.

How old are those calves in the photos ?

How old is the oldest cow in the herd ?

I have a 17 year old that is still producing. She has had 18 calves to date ( 1 set of twins, 16 heifers )

Thanks for the photos, and keep them coming~!!

Thanks, yep that old charbull put lot of muscels on his offspring, will have 15 calfes after him in feb-april next year. This is the last year i use him.

The calves is 6-7 months old.

I have one cow that is 14 years old now. There was one that was 16 until last month, she hurted one of her legs so i had to put her away. She also produced calves every year.

You have some very impressive cattle.... it is always fun to see how things are done in different parts of the world. You usually find that it isn't as different from where you are in most cases.

Angus In Texas":1zmzph2x said:
You have some very impressive cattle.... it is always fun to see how things are done in different parts of the world. You usually find that it isn't as different from where you are in most cases.

The cattle themselves are not much different. Swede has some nice looking cattle. But how would you like to be forced, by law, to "barn" all of your cattle in the winter? :eek: Talk about a nightmare! I bet if the animal rights nuts hear about that, they'll start pushing for that here in the US! :shock:

docgraybull":xr3cxjng said:
Angus In Texas":xr3cxjng said:

The cattle themselves are not much different. Swede has some nice looking cattle. But how would you like to be forced, by law, to "barn" all of your cattle in the winter? :eek: Talk about a nightmare! I bet if the animal rights nuts hear about that, they'll start pushing for that here in the US! :shock:

I wouldn't bet against PETA or HSUS trying to pass some kind of ridiculous law like that. However, I would think the Cattle Association would have some type of lobbying pull to stop something like that. Imagine the financial impact that would have on the large operations to try to house 10,000 cattle.

Great pics Eddie, it is nice to see how things are done elsewhere.