sons of a father--my twin

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I've mentioned that I have a twin brother, and yes, we are identical twins.
This was 2 pics that I sewed together to make one. My brother--an ordained part-time Baptist minister, was officiating at our great niece's wedding last year--I had walked off to the side behind a pine tree to sneak in a smoke, and was watching him. That sour look comes from having to wear shoes for the event--he lives and works in Arkansas and never has to wear any there, but I think that's all about to change.
3si6.jpg

1995. Myself, our father, and my brother, the day after my mother's funeral.
t1y3.jpg

Is he as sarcastic as I am?
His oldest daughter got married first. At her younger sister's wedding reception a few years ago, his first son-in-law Steve walked up to new-guy son-in-law while he was talking to his new father-in-law.
Steve: "Enjoy tonight buddy, it's all sarcasm from here on out."

:lol2: :lol2:

greybeard":9sw6c7uc said:
about 30 miles SW of Little Rock.
Just wondered, with Arkansas being just a very short distance down the road from me, I always wonder who my neghbors are on here.

GB, is that the family home behind the three of you. Your mom must have been where the two of you get your size, your dad is much shorter.

Thanks for putting this on here. I enjoy this aspect of a forum but most people are shy to talk about themselves or show pictures. I really don't think it is as dangerous as everyone worries about. FaceBook is much more revealing and I am not aware what the fear is there. I always think about people who are afraid to post their name but they will give the Reg # of their stock. All those list the owner's name and address.

I bet two twin guys raised in Arkansas could tell some great stories. I know people think I am nuts on here. My good friend Kris (Fire Sweep Ranch) confirms to me that they do. But what to hay, 30 years from now, you and I are going to be pushing up daisies. Who is going to remember that we made an asz of ourselves on Cattle Today. I am going to have some fun before I cash in my chips. I wish more people on here would consider being as open and interesting as you are!!!

I bet two twin guys raised in Arkansas could tell some great stories.

Probably, but that isn't us. We were both raised in Texas. While in the military, he married a girl from Arkansas and they eventually moved there. The marriage didn't last, but he had a good (govt) job there so he stayed all these years. Now approaching retirement age, he has bought a place on Bolivar Peninsula Texas, and owns 25 acres next to me as well and will be "coming home" to his roots within a year or 2. He's done little or nothing with or to that 25 acres since acquiring it in 2006. all wooded--I fenced most of it off and run cows on it.

He has no interest in cattle--never did, and doesn't know anything about them. He is more like you than he is me Inyati--in some ways. Fun's HIS department, and I remind him of that often.

No, that is not what we call the family property in the background. The old home place looked much different than that---it had my father's big auto shop on it, with our 3 bdr home/living area built on to that shop.

we come in twos in my line...
My daughter was born twin to a stillborn.
I had twin cousins. Both are now deceased.
I also have twin sons--now in their 30s.
I have twin 8 yr old grandsons.

Me, three of my 8 grandkids, and my (now big as me) twin sons.
2010121medium.jpg

Additionally, my brother and I have been a part of this registry and it's studies for many years. Have been flown to Calif and Seattle, our dna samples (among other bio samples) are on repository, and about once every 2 years average for the last 20 years, we take part in an 'at home' study of one kind or another. They send us a package, with about 100-150 topics, then a few weeks later, they call and ask questions. (also done on-line now) The phone survey takes about an hour each. My brother and I are a little unique in these medical and genetics studies. Both in the military at the same time--different branches--one "in-country" the other not, and they are sometimes looking to see what effects combat versus non-combat environments have long term..aging, gambling, late onset smoking, cancer, Alzheimers, drug and alcohol use, PTSD, all different health aspects. They pay our expenses and travel if we have to go somewhere for the study and evaluations, otherwise, they send us a token payment for our time and efforts--very little actually. The VA and other medical outfits use this information to help get a handle on problems veterans will have in the future.

Kathie in Thorp":ga5cen1l said:
Never had a twin . . . thought it would be interesting, though! Glad you are still close, and even closer.

Yes Kathie, we are very close still. Brother and I are completely different healthwise, an oddity for identical twins. He has had diabetes for over 15 years--I do not. Suffers from gastro trouble, he has had a heart attack (2002), a triple bypass, has had to go back in to have stints put in twice since then.
Other than a snake bite in 2010, I haven't been to a doctor in over 20 years.
I wrote this a number of years ago and think I posted the following here at CT once before:

A strange turn of events that happened while I was with HMH-463 @ Marble Mountain Air Facility, RVN. (HMH= Marine,Heavy, Helicopter)
My identical twin brother, Ron joined the USN about 6 months after I left for Marine boot camp @ MCRD. We were & still are, very close, & his 2nd ship was the USS Sanctuary, a USN hospital ship with better severe trauma facilities than they had Danang. After I reported aboard my squadron in Vietnam, & began flying as a gunner, I heard about the Sanctuary being offshore, and it wasn't long till I could see that big white ship with the red cross on the side, from the beach at Marble, my home base. It cruised up & down the coast, 3-12 miles out, in international waters most of the time, taking on wounded which were brought out by Army, Navy, & Marine helos. My squadron's helos frequetly flew wounded directly from the field out to Sanctuary. Ron had already sent me a letter saying he wasn't allowed ashore, even tho they sometimes anchored off the deepwater pier at Danang. By this time, I hadn't seen my brother in a couple of years, so, sometime in Oct 1970 I think, I went up the CoC (chain of command)to request a visit out to his ship. We flew medivacs out there almost daily anyway. It got as far as the 1st sgt and he said, "no sweat Sarge, I'll take care of it for you". A week later, as I got ready for the day's mission, I found we were taking an extra gunner. It was the 1st shirt(I can see his face, but can't remember his name) Rather than having someone else take my place as gunner, he took it while I spent a few hrs on board the ship, or as he jokingly put it "Malingering with the swabbies". He was that kind of Marine-he took care of his own.
We landed on the deck of the Sanctuary, I told the OD who I was, & what I was doing there. My brother came up from below, gave me a tour of the ship, showed me what he did as a damage controlman,& introduced me to a few of the nurses (they acted like they didn't even know who he was , much less have any interest in meeting a somewhat dashing but lowly Marine Sgt). Ate lunch in the ship's galley, which was much better than the red death (corned beef) from MMAF, & ate more ice cream than should be allowed in a lifetime. It would be many months before I tasted anymore. I heard over the 1mc to report to the helo deck & caught my ride back to MMAF on a CH46 from Purple Fox (HMM-364).
Fast fwd to last week in Nov-1st week of Dec. We're on our way out to LZ Baldy on a milk run of some sort, when the pilot tells me they have to divert $ take me out to Sanctuary-NOW. My brother had been hospitalized. I
get there & he's laid up, looks like hammered dog pooh, a tube in every orifice of his body. Critical condition the doc told me, with a very low blood count, % white as a ghost. Some kind of severe gastro problems. Gets medivac'd back to CONUS & ends up at NAS Corpus Christi which is the closest medical facility to our home near Houston.. He later told me he ate like a pig for Thanksgiving at a beach party somewhere off Vietnam, then drank about 25 rum & cokes. Naturally, he got sick & heaved up part of his insides. Almost bled to death over the next few days before collapsed & had to be carried to sickbay. He recovered, but got an early medical discharge, honorable conditions.
Years later, when we were both back home, I used to give him a hard time about his easy life in the navy & him getting sick & all. Finally one day, as we were walking across the pasture, he stopped me in the middle of razzing him, & said.
"I had good reason to drink. You know, when the helos were coming in, we all had to form a working party on the helo deck, to carry the wounded down below. They were shot all to pieces most of the time. We were told not to look a their faces. It was bad enough seeing all those wounded men every day & night, but then, I had to make myself look in their faces, scared to death it would be you this time. I had nightmares about it. What and how would I have told Mama?"

He began to cry. So did I.
I never gave him a hard time again. He was fighting a war too.
I also posted this few years ago on another website I frequent:

The internet is a wonderful thing sometimes. A couple of yrs ago, my twin brother had posted an inquiry looking for former shipmates, on the USS Sanctuary website. A few weeks afterward, out of the clear blue, he gets an email from a guy he served with, but no longer remembers. (it's been 30+ yrs) The guy just says 'Hi, I remember you Ron, I took this picture of you & your brother on board ship, just before he boarded his helo back into country. Thought you might like to have it'.
It's just unbelievable that this guy just happened to read my brother's post from a couple of years ago, and that he still had the pic. More unbelievable that he went to the trouble to send a 2mb+ bitmap to an email address that was 2 yrs old, and it came thru.
My brother sent it to me, just as he recieved it. A huge bitmap, but crystal clear. (It's now my wallpaper) I am so glad to be able to get it, since it's the only one I have of us together from that day in 1970, off the coast of Vietnam. I had to downsize it a lot and covert to jpg. Yep, I'm the Marine on the left, needing a haircut & shave. This has just made my week!!! That's MY 'little' brother!!!

59ga.jpg

I see those two fingers up. I think that boy has got more than a little of you in him, GB. I sincerely appreciate your sharing personal peeps into your life. Provides more than the usual cyber nature to the forum.

gb, thanks for sharing your experiences in Viet Nam and your brother. It was a shame the way we were treated during the Viet Nam war and I'm so thankful that we as a nation are treating our military with the respect and admiration they deserve. Thank you for your service!

Wow GB, that's a great story. Good to hear somebody that is close to their siblings. That is one of my biggest regrets; not paying any attention to my younger brother as he grew up. We aren't close now either. See each other every couple of months but no real connection or regular communication even.

Greybeard . . . .Thank you for sharing all that -- that was a lot to share! I have goose bumps reading your history. Bless you and your brother. Your time era is my mine, and I lost friends in Vietnam -- via death and "just lost" in mind. It's a wonder to me that so many came back pretty much whole.

As the song says, you should have seen it in color....but from my perspective, I've led a very blessed and good life, my time overseas included. Not without incidents, pain or saddness, but there's a reason the military uses young people in it's endeavors. They cope better because they have no real past frame of reference to compare events to. After a short period of time, you adapt and it simply becomes a job. You just wake up every day (or night) and accept that "today, someone is going to try to kill me" and you accept, that "today, I'm probably going to have to kill someone". It's what you do, because you held your hand up and swore an oath. You knew, going in, that was the deal--getting shot at most every day came with the territory. It's a dangerous job, you knew it, and you accepted it. You get paid for a job, and you do it, and no one owes ya anything more for it. No special thanks, no special benefits, no special allowance in life, because ya knew in advance what the job entailed--and you accepted it. Willingly.
Would I do it again?
In a heartbeat.

Thank you and your brother Greybeard for your service. And any others reading this that are past or present servicemen and/or women, thank you.

Jon

Latest posts