Son's New Heifer-What do you think?

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
This is my son's bred and owned heifer. He was going to look for a better one for his senior year, but is probably going to stick this one. She a 4 months old simbrah (11/4/08). What to you all think about her?

This was his heifer's third time to have a halter on. The trim job is really rough. Her top line does appear to be straighter than the picture makes it out to be. The wind was blowing like crazy and he was afraid to take anymore hair off at this point. He wants to work on blending the hair and his subject was running out of patients. He will finish trimming next weekend. When it warms up, he plans on peeling her off . No better way to practice than to dig in and give it a try. It about killed his dad relingiush control of the the clippers.

I did photoshop the photos to delete humans and see if I could delete the halter. I need a lot more practice in that category.

Sarah_4_months.jpg

Sarah_Front_4months.jpg

Sarah_back_4months.jpg

Here is a picture before he clipped her.
Sarah_better_side.jpg

Nice enough heifer. Looks like an Angus with a tiny bit of Brahman. can't accept black Simbrahs. There are no Black Simbrahs here. No one would want them. The traditional coloured Simmentals crossed with Brahman are the way they are bred here. lets hope they stay that way.There's no way that I would even bother trying to breed a black South Brahvon. They'd either be called a Brangus or a black Brahman cross.

Australian,
Thanks for the comment. Best compliment yet for my son's breeding plan. His heifers have had too much brahman influence for the ring. The dam is a deep red and my son was hoping for a red...most of her other calves have been red. The sire is a PB simbrah sire...lots of leather...not even a 3/4 which would have still created a PB. The angus comment made our day.

Australian,
You have to remember that black is popular in the US. I remember seeing a black Maine Anjou and almost having a heart attack.

The heifer has definately thrown brahman :lol: . Hopefully the simmental has some influence on the frame and muscle. In my experience though both simmentals and brahmans are fairly late maturing, she is still young and will probably fill out ok but just keep an eye on it (maybe around weaning age), you might have to feed her up early (but not too early because you don't want a fatty :))

Latest posts