Sometimes you win one.

Help Support CattleToday:

Green Creek

Reaction score
My husband and I have been down with the flu since mid-March and just this week have been able to get up and work a little. Yesterday morning about nine o'clock he noticed one of the last two cows to calve acting twitchy and nesting. Checked her at eleven and she was still circling around but nothing showing. At one she had a bubble out and was not happy to be bothered. Still nothing at two o'clock so we started trying to get her up. The mud was ankle deep and she was absolutely not going to cooperate. We called our son to come help spent the next two hours working to get her up and finally had to bring the whole herd in to get her. By then we figured we had a dead calf but had to get it out. We got her up by about five or five thirty and she fought like a wild woman. Finally he got his hands in to check it out and the calf was turned sideways with one foot folded back. He got the foot out but could not get it pulled with chains.
We got the pullers out and while he was trying to get them arranged, she went down on her back legs. My husband layed down flat in three inch mud and managed to crank that calf out and surprise, he was alive! Nice sized calf but not overly big, just a bad presentation. It was a second calf for the cow. We felt like survivors after it was over. All of us were exhausted and wobbly from the flu but really happy with ourselves.

It certainly feels good when you work that hard and it all ends up ok. Congrats on your new calf. No matter how hard the work i couldn't imagine life without cows. Good Luck

a live calf is always a good birth.no matter if you had to fight to get the cow up an the calf pulled.

Latest posts