sometimes you get lucky

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
Last year I happened by the sale barn on 4-3-13 this particular caw came thru and I decided to buy her she was advertised 5mth bred and I bought her for 873.00 she is a mutt. some dairy and who know what else as she is red black white. She was not 5 mths bred and calved on 6-29 a small heifer. I sold that heifer in Jan for 800.00 and day before yesterday she calved again. I wish they all were this easy.

I went back and checked my records on this cow she was bred on aug 30th or 31st. this is the first calf off of the BA bull I bought last year and he was put in the cows on 8-30-13(he didn't waste any time) . I am going to name this one BEZ because its my first off of a pure bred BA

My luckiest purchase was quite a few years back. In 1995 I went to an estate auction held in late August and they were selling some cows. The guys running the sale were cussing and shocking the cattle to get them in. One of the cows was so worked up she went over a solid wood 6 foot fence. They got her back in, but she looked ready to take on anyone who got close. She was a good looking black cow and had a nice April heifer on her, but her disposition and the fact they called her open, meant there were few bids. I got the pair for $350. She surprised me with another heifer in January. It took some time before I trusted her. She was still pretty rank by the time she had that second heifer, and it was many months before I could get within a half mile without her raising her head ready for flight, but she eventuality settled down with patience, kind treatment, and the example of the herd around her. By her third calf she would let me walk right up. She went on to give me 15 calves in 15 years. Almost every one of her calves weaned in the top percentile for weight, and all of the daughters and granddaughters I kept, had excellent dispositions.

M5farm":10ttx8f0 said:
I am going to name this one BEZ because its my first off of a pure bred BA

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Good choice in names!

Anyhow, looks like you made a good buy last April. Yeah, you got lucky.

Nice looking calf too!

Katherine

cloud9cattle":24pallqh said:
Anyone ever buy a cow marked open that ended up being bred?
Bought a couple that they didn't have palpated at all. Turned out to be bred. Have ended up with a few marked bred as well that were as open as "me". :cry2:

I bought a group of cows that lived on the farm when I started leasing it 2 years ago. Paid fair money for the cows but they are some breeders! I got a ten year old Char. that just weaned a 950 lb. set of twins @ 230 days old. Then checking cows Thurs. one that calved 8-16-13 had just calved again! Also bought a set last summer of 8 that was supposed to have one bred cow in it ended up with 6 live calves. I lost one but guess I still did ok. Nothing makes me smile like a surprise calf. Like the old saying goes a healthy calf and a good rain are always welcome here!

Latest posts