Somethings wrong...but what?

Help Support CattleToday:

mitch2

Reaction score
Checking cattle last night and I wanted to specifically check out this boy as I thought he may be a good prospect for a boy who would like to show one of ours next year at the fair. That will be another question for another thread.

Anyway.... what the heck is wrong with him???? He looks to be feeling fine, moving fine, no outward signs of this bothering him. The pic is not the best it was with a phone. Also, it doesn't quite show how "filled" the area is.

probcalf2.jpg

Michelle, are you referring to the hump in the topline? A pic from behind would help, but its likely that he is just slightly bloated, make him stand uphill for a while and it will soon be over or dose him with mineral oil if it gets worse.

The humped back i think is just from him starting to turn to look at me....

Michele

Feel if it feels hot or not and whether he has a fever. If he has a fever hit him with antibiotics for a few days in combination with an anti-inflammatory. If he doesn't have a fever and the naval is hot just use the anti-inflammatory. If it isn't hot and he doesn't have fever its probably a herniated naval and treating that would require a vet if you're set on selling him as a show prospect. Otherwise I would just get rid of him at weaning without treating the condition.

Looks like a hernia and I would not spend money on a vet to operate on him. I doubt anyone will buy him as a feeder either with it if ,he would get about 20-30 cents a pound in my area, they are docked heavily because it can lead to serious issues. You are best to just put him in your own freezer before the hernia gets even bigger.

If you are thinking he may be a show prospect then get your vet out to take a look at him ,just to be sure.

This just occurred between Monday evening and Friday evening. No high hopes for him other than he came to mind for showing due to sweet demeanor.

We raise our own steers for fat, is he still a possibility without occurring costs that put him into negative earnings?

Thanks for the input!

Michele

Well you can hit him with antibiotics and an anti inflammatory and then wait the required withdrawal time.
I would start finishing him now and butcher him younger than you normally do the others. It would be the most cost effective solution.

But yes do what Knersie said first, lock him up and take his temp and check that swelling to see if it is an injury or something. If he has a temp you have limited choices though.

Could be a hernia or a navel infection. If it's a navel infection the drugs should clear it up; although less likely due to his age. But it could be an old infection flaring up. Did have a calf a couple years ago that swelled over night; ran him in but it felt too watery to be a hernia; the vet lanced and stiched him up. The vet figured that he had a navel infection in the belly cavity and it leaked down into the navel. the calf did fine after the procedure. A hernia will feel more squishy. I have had a few with hernias over the years and they usually heal up themselves and do fine.

If it's a hernia, you can push up against the swelling towards his belly and feel a hole. If he's quiet you should be able to feel it and get a better idea. Or, since it's a new development, he may have gotten stepped on. Either way, if he's eating good and doesn't seem "off", he'll probably be fine.

It looks like a hernia; do as the others suggested and get your hands on it. With a hernia, you can push it back up inside and you can feel the edges of the hole in the abdominal wall. Odd that a hernia would show up now though, unless perhaps you have horned cattle and/or he could have suffered some trauma to the area? An infection would be a little more likely at this age. Let us know what you find out.

milkmaid":2rnk96tm said:
It looks like a hernia; do as the others suggested and get your hands on it. With a hernia, you can push it back up inside and you can feel the edges of the hole in the abdominal wall. Odd that a hernia would show up now though, unless perhaps you have horned cattle and/or he could have suffered some trauma to the area? An infection would be a little more likely at this age. Let us know what you find out.
I totally agree on this. A hernia will usually show up much younger, I have seen most at birth.
Correct me if I am wrong on this.
A small hole in the abdomen can cause fluid to leak out into the navel area. (a small hernia). You can stick a needle into it and look at the fluid. If it is clear it is either abdominal fluid or urine. If it is cloudy it is probably an infection.

I (one of our bulls....ha ) had one alot like it. Ended up being an abscess. Vet drained it gave antibiotics and it is healing nicely.