somethings missing

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig Miller

Reaction score
I was going to band the calf ive been bottling today and at five weeks i thought he would have dropped by now. Am i wrong? Either they arent there or are way smaller than i expected. I only had a short moment to feel cause he abut kicked me upside the head with the leg cowboy 2 was holding at the same time cowboy 1 let his head up.

When they're laying down it's sometimes hard to get both nuts easily. Works great if they;re standing and someone is tailing them. Let Ol Gravity work for you

I had a calf that got scours, so I didn't band him til 3 weeks, and he was miserably hard to do... I have others that are born hung like bulls at birth

dun":7eqiwgf3 said:
When they're laying down it's sometimes hard to get both nuts easily. Works great if they;re standing and someone is tailing them. Let Ol Gravity work for you
:nod: :nod: Best and much easier. Just make sure the "tail man" knows what he's doing.

TexasBred":1ud13s5g said:
dun":1ud13s5g said:
:nod: :nod: Best and much easier. Just make sure the "tail man" knows what he's doing.

Maybe you could explain.

The main thing is to keep a stead lift on the tail. I have cut lots of calves with a 10 year old girl holding the tail. I just told them to pull up and if you are slipping let me know so I can get out of the way. For some reason with a steady pull up on the tail they can't kick.

Dave":mll3tn56 said:
The main thing is to keep a stead lift on the tail. I have cut lots of calves with a 10 year old girl holding the tail. I just told them to pull up and if you are slipping let me know so I can get out of the way. For some reason with a steady pull up on the tail they can't kick.
I mainly just bend the tail directly (straight) over the spine and hold it steady (no lifting). Calf will seldom move.

Latest posts